F-16 MIDS question

Q3ark

Just for confirmation. That will stay the say the same even with us getting the AN/PRC-210 that the hornet's use?

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

What are the capabilities of a MIDS comunication? for example range or LOS.

Is it normaly used in combat or its more like a backup system? I know its encrypted.

I guess its a digital signal instead of analog.

Edited by Ignition

MIDS voice and range is exactly the same limitations as MIDS itself. If you are in the link and somebody else is in the same link, and you both have MIDS Voice capabilities, you can talk to each other. It's basically VOIP, instead of a straight up radio system. If you and the listener are in the same MIDS network, you will be able to talk. It is used as a secure radio or a 3rd or 4th radio by Hornets and Superhornets all the time assuming they are in the link. Not unusual or special at all. 

Edited by KlarSnow
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KlarSnow said:

MIDS voice has nothing to do with the ARC-210, separate systems completely

Roger. Thanks for the feedback.

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

MIDS was not really designed to transmit voice, it can provoce different problems in the network.

As far as I know it is not used in RL and you'll get problems in the debriefing of large exercises if you used it.

It goes as far as f***ing the network for all other clients.

Alias in Discord: Mailman

MIDS works just fine for transmitting voice, works like VOIP or any of your internet phones... its specifically built into the network to have this capability. Only some platforms have implemented it though.

its one of the core features of MIDS even listed in a brief Wikipedia search 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multifunctional_Information_Distribution_System

J-voice, JTRS, Software Defined Radio etc... does not impact any other part of the network if designed to use it.

The F-16 as used by the USAF does not have and should not in DCS have this functionality. It is and should be on the DCS Hornet though.

And we definitely have M4.2 of not M5.2

But I think the question was not if we have / get MIDS or not .. but if we get Voice capability over MIDS .. which we won't.

Edited by deadpool

6 hours ago, IkarusC42B Pilot said:

Besides my 2004 manual that describes the integration of mids youre one google search away to see that block 50 m4.2 had mids

The question isnt does it have MIDS, which it obviously does. My question was asking for your source saying it had MIDS VOICE.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, llOPPOTATOll said:

The question isnt does it have MIDS, which it obviously does. My question was asking for your source saying it had MIDS VOICE.

All searching I’ve done says Blk 50 has a MIDS LVT blk1 which DOES NOT have voice capability 

later terminals incorporated JVox ability 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

42 minutes ago, IkarusC42B Pilot said:

Yeah f16 recived block 1

Screenshot_20210602-055405_Chrome.jpg

If you take a look at this website it also says that its Block 1 "MIDS-LVT(1) — fielded on F-16, F/18-E/F, U-2, MH-60, UCAV, C-130, F/A-50, P-3, B-2, shipboard." MIDS-LVT(6) does NOT have voice capability according to this.

Edited by llOPPOTATOll

32 minutes ago, llOPPOTATOll said:

If you take a look at this website it also says that its Block 1 "MIDS-LVT(1) — fielded on F-16, F/18-E/F, U-2, MH-60, UCAV, C-130, F/A-50, P-3, B-2, shipboard." MIDS-LVT(6) does NOT have voice capability according to this.

It also says it has open architecture. Meaning it can be added.

And misread the voice thing and tought everyone said it dosent have mids.......😢