Mavericks - VIS mode not ground stabilized

SmoglessPanic

Press DMS fwd to make HUD SOI, then press TMS aft. Now slew the targeting cursor (TDC?) on or near your target and press TMS fwd. SOI changes to your WPN screen. Now your maverick in VIS mode will be ground stabilized.

If you lock on the wrong object and press TMS aft while WPN is SOI, the maverick stops being ground stabilized. I don't know if this is a bug... Also, after launching a maverick and it switches to the next one, it doesn't seem to ground stabilize until you do the whole DMS fwd, TMS aft, slew, TMS fwd thing again. It's a pain!

• Thanks 2

Ok, I was trying to ground stabilize my Mav while the MFD was SOI. Yea, it does kinda suck that you have to do everything all over again with the next missile, it is what it is for now. 

I appreciate the response, thanks.

I will give it some practice.

• Like 1

I believe that TMS Down on the WPN page could return the Mav crosshairs to the TD Box point and ground stabilize, like it does in PRE. I also think that after a launch the next missile in the sequence should stabilize at the TD location. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bunny Clark said:

I believe that TMS Down on the WPN page could return the Mav crosshairs to the TD Box point and ground stabilize, like it does in PRE. I also think that after a launch the next missile in the sequence should stabilize at the TD location. 

Just tested it. On WPN page of maverick in VIS mode, WPN is SOI, and it's ground stabilized after following my steps posted above. I press TMS aft and three things happen:

1. TD Box snaps to flight path marker and follows it
  2. HUD becomes SOI
  3. Maverick snaps to TD Box and follows it (if I slew, both maverick and TD box move together) but it is not ground stabilized until I press TMS fwd

I then lock and fire. The behavior on the next missile is that it is roughly boresighted -- it is not following the TD box or the FPM, and the worst part is it has no HUD indication either (normally it's a circle). I kinda suspect this is a bug 😛

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 5/30/2021 at 3:50 PM, Xavven said:

Just tested it. On WPN page of maverick in VIS mode, WPN is SOI, and it's ground stabilized after following my steps posted above. I press TMS aft and three things happen:

1. TD Box snaps to flight path marker and follows it
  2. HUD becomes SOI
  3. Maverick snaps to TD Box and follows it (if I slew, both maverick and TD box move together) but it is not ground stabilized until I press TMS fwd

I then lock and fire. The behavior on the next missile is that it is roughly boresighted -- it is not following the TD box or the FPM, and the worst part is it has no HUD indication either (normally it's a circle). I kinda suspect this is a bug 😛

I also had similar results, I appreciate it !

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Bump.

Since the recent update concerning the JHMCS and being able to slave the maverick seeker head to the JHMCS, it appears that this is still very much a thing.

If I have the hud SOI and am in VIS mode, when I first lock on to an area with TMS up, it then automatically makes the Maverick WPN page SOI and the Maverick IS  ground stabilised as expected, but if after then slewing over a target and TMS'ing up to lock and failing, TMS down will result in the Maverick no longer being ground stabilised. This seems very much like it is a bug, but happy to be confirmed wrong if it really is like that, but I would be very surprised!

Indeed, while one might see why it might be undesirable to immediately return to slave on the first command, documentation says otherwise. I am reading in two places that TMS aft tells Maverick to reject target and return to slave SPI LOS. That suggests break track may immediately return to slave/SPI LOS. It could be that it requires undesignating twice to break track and then return to slave.

The software in the airplane has undergone changes in history. The earlier versions would switch SOI WPN on the first designate of the TD box on HUD. Later versions would (when using HMCS) add an extra TMS forward after grounding the TD before SOI WPN. Even later versions had the extra designation for HUD as well. I think this version is late enough to have the universal middle stage. I'm suspicious of the HMCS ground designation skipping directly to WPN SOI as real. I see that in DCS both HUD SOI and HMCS SOI EO VIS skips SOI straight to WPN on the first designate instead of requiring a second.

In any case the TD box once grounded is the spot which all missiles are slaved so after firing one the next one should already be aimed at it. That isn't happening. Instead the next missile stares straight ahead.

When WPN is selected manually and slewed the LOS circle is not appearing. That seems wrong.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Good stuff. I just noticed this all last night while practicing. So, I just reverted to using the TGP and Mav in Pre as in PRE, after firing a Mav, the next one is looking where the TGP is. 

Much easier than when in VIS mode and the next Mav is looking straight up with no HUD indication. Bug or RL its a royal PITA!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

To investigate a bit further about using Mavs in VIS mode and a use of JHMCS... TMS UP LONG to put the box on the JHMDS, then TMS UP SHORT you create a SPI for all the sensors, and also for the Maverick it self (which one is selected). With TMS UP Short another symbology appears on the JHMCS (circle with a small square underneath - see the image in my previous post) - which begins to slowly move so one side. My question is: Why it starts to move? Is that a bug? Why would it move, if it's ground stabilized? You can also see that movement on the Maverick's page on the MFD.

Example: https://youtu.be/N-mLGHTqt2w?t=193

• 2 weeks later...
  • ED Team

There are several improvements to the EO sub-modes as a whole that are planned in the next patch. Please stay tuned for more information.

• Like 5

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head