1 Circle and 2 Circle Dogfighting

treasure

Hi all, can someone explain why one aircraft prefers a one circle and another a two cirle?  i have seen a youtube video where this is "explained" but its still not clear for me. He talks about rate vs radius, link below, so i assume that this means that in terms of getting around a cirle there are actually 2 components of the flight model that have very different effects? TIA

Edited by treasure

Some aircraft are better rate fighters and prefer a 2-circle fight. If you have two planes, nose-to-tail, chasing each other in the same circle, whoever can move around that circle more quickly would eventually catch the other one for a shot. 

Other planes, like the F-18, have a ton of nose authority and can really point the nose quickly. If you merge with someone and end up head-to-head in a 1-circle fight, the plane that can move the nose more quickly onto the other will have the first chance at a shot. Downside is you’re usually super slow after killing your energy for that shot, so make it count. That’s the general answer to your question I think, lol. 

Edit- didn’t watch the video. Just did a brief drive-by/response to your post. 

Edited by CL30
  • Like 1

i5-9600k @ 5.0 GHz| Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32 GB Trident G.Skill RAM @ 3200 MHz | Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO | Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD | Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2 | SanDisk 1TB SSD | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra Gaming | EVGA G3 850W Gold PSU | Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow Edition | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFC Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift-S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 5/29/2021 at 8:35 PM, treasure said:

Hi all, can someone explain why one aircraft prefers a one circle and another a two cirle?  i have seen a youtube video where this is "explained" but its still not clear for me. He talks about rate vs radius, link below, so i assume that this means that in terms of getting around a cirle there are actually 2 components of the flight mel that have very different effects? TIA

The generic preference is almost always 1-circle because it is the most efficient BFM (least amount of turning and therefore time spent in the fight), but the decision is really based more on what your plane's doing at the time and what the opponent's plane is doing, and not which fighter is better at 1-circle or 2-circle.

Also, a lot of real tactics are designed with the assumption (requirement, even) what there are wingmen involved and they may not play out like in-game 1v1s.

There are caveats especially when it comes to missiles in these fights - in 2-circle if you rate better you get to employ missiles first, while a 1-circle will jam the missile WEZ - basically you'll end up inside minimum range.

It really all comes down to planning for a lot of merge scenarios.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda