Angle of Bank - VDI/Standby Attitude Parallax Error

NightFlier

Hi guys,

I noticed that between the VDI and Standby Attitude indicator there's a lot of difference when looking from a central position (in front of VDI).
That's of course the Parallax error of the Standby Attitude but the values look a bit too much considering the instruments are very close to each other.

I run some test turning at a different bank angles, pausing the game and looking from both a center position and in front of the standby attitude indicator to eliminate the parallax error.

The result was that there is already a basic error of 5-7° (no parallax) + a very marked parallax error giving a huge difference up to 15° at 45° of bank (didn't try at 60°).
Having flown with analog standby attitude indicators in real life, positioned further away from the primary display (on the right, like the F14), I think this error is too much as what I got in real life was a simple 1-2° off.

Of course, if that's real I'm happy with that, I was just wondering as the difference looks quite weird.

Hereunder some screens

Thanks

Screen_210530_150318.jpg

Screen_210530_150340.jpg

Edited by Night Flier
  • Thanks 1

Night Flier

_________________________________________________________________________________________

i7 9700K, MSI RTX 2080, 32GB RAM (3200 MHz), SSD m.2 1TB, Monitor 32'' WQHD 2560x1440, Windows 10 Pro

If you're talking about bank indication the curved drum is quite a bit far back compared to the face of the gauge which would cause a significant parallax read error but that's why the real instrument has an in-plane index mark. You're not supposed to use the black-white painted vertical line on the drum to compare to the bank scale. The DCS instrument is completely missing this index.

Untitled-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2021 at 9:49 PM, Frederf said:

If you're talking about bank indication the curved drum is quite a bit far back compared to the face of the gauge which would cause a significant parallax read error but that's why the real instrument has an in-plane index mark. You're not supposed to use the black-white painted vertical line on the drum to compare to the bank scale. The DCS instrument is completely missing this index.

Untitled-1.jpg

Nice to know then, I hope they're going to fix it as it looks such a stupid omission.

Night Flier

_________________________________________________________________________________________

i7 9700K, MSI RTX 2080, 32GB RAM (3200 MHz), SSD m.2 1TB, Monitor 32'' WQHD 2560x1440, Windows 10 Pro