Help: Engine problems in MP

Doc3908

I tried flying the I-16 in multiplayer yesterday and kept having engine troubles - something I've never experienced in SP. The server requires a cold start, so I followed the startup and engine warming procedures (waited till oil temp gets to 50 and cylinders temp is out of the red) before taking off. It takes literally 10+ min to get in the air (which is why I rarely do cold starts in SP). Once in the air, I am always vigilant of the oil and engine temps and do play with the cowl and oil flaps to keep the temps "in the green". Regardless, on the first flight, I lost the engine about 7min after takeoff without any engagement - just flying around. Landed, restarted the mission - same thing: 10min of flying then the engine died. I had a quick engagement on the second flight, but I shot the guy down in less than 30sec, and the engine parameters were still in the green. Then 5 min later, out of the blue, the engine ceases again. Attached are the screenshots from immediately before (second picture) and immediately after (first picture) the engine died (from the second flight). I hope you guys can help me figure out what the heck am I doing wrong. Otherwise, I'm going back to SP - I can't waste 15min on warm up and taxi to get just 5-10min of flying. Thanks in advance!

after.png

before.png

Edited by Doc3908

Thanks, Plexus. To be honest, I didn't look at the RPM, but I was flying casually at  1/2 to 2/3 throttle, so I doubt it was anywhere near 2200. As for WEP, I practically never move that lever forward.

Then, it might be the opposite if you didn't pay attention to rpm, probably overboosted the engine hence the failure.

Look at it this way, the rpm you set is a ceiling you shouldn't cross. It's not like if you do for some seconds and only a bit the engine will blow up instantly or something like that, but if you do it for a long time and/or too much boost then the engine wears out and stops. If you weren't managing your rpm but used the throttle carelessly then it might well be what happened there.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

6 hours ago, Ala13_ManOWar said:

Then, it might be the opposite if you didn't pay attention to rpm, probably overboosted the engine hence the failure.

Look at it this way, the rpm you set is a ceiling you shouldn't cross. It's not like if you do for some seconds and only a bit the engine will blow up instantly or something like that, but if you do it for a long time and/or too much boost then the engine wears out and stops. If you weren't managing your rpm but used the throttle carelessly then it might well be what happened there.

S!

You may be right. I just did one more flight on the same server, but kept the rpm to no more than 2200 at all times (1800-2000 for much of the flight). Flew for about 40min and no issues.