CommandT crashes

CommandT
Go to solution Solved by hornblower793,

Hi folks, so my DCS crashes A LOT after 2.7 came out. Mostly when you try to load a flight for the second time after loading the game. With the AV-8B it crashes 100% of the time when you try to either reload a flight or jump out and back in for a second flight. It's extremely frustrating. Anyone else in the same boat? 

• Like 1

Last week's most recent patch helped me a bit... I am still having some crashes, but prior to the most recent patch I was crashing once every 2 or 3 mission loads.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• ED Team
20 hours ago, CommandT said:

Hi folks, so my DCS crashes A LOT after 2.7 came out. Mostly when you try to load a flight for the second time after loading the game. With the AV-8B it crashes 100% of the time when you try to either reload a flight or jump out and back in for a second flight. It's extremely frustrating. Anyone else in the same boat? 

Please post your logs so we can look for clues. 

People if you have no information or data to share regarding the crash it really isnt helpful in the crash reports

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• BIGNEWY changed the title to CommandT crashes
1 minute ago, BIGNEWY said:

People if you have no information or data to share regarding the crash it really isnt helpful in the crash reports

thanks

Should we be posting crash logs here, or is sending the crash report to ED after a crash enough?

crash_report.jpg

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

• ED Team
Just now, Donut said:

Should we be posting crash logs here, or is sending the crash report to ED after a crash enough?

crash_report.jpg

Auto posting helps a lot, the data base can see patterns, if you are posting here on the forum about a crash always attach a log, without it we can not check it here. 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

@OP

Try enabling "windows 8 compatibility mode" for the dcs.exe in the /bin folder.

It helped not all but at least a few people with that issue (including me - no problems at all since then).

Trying doesn't hurt.

Only downside seem to be slightly longer loading times.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

Same here CommandT but I mostly only get it in the Tomcat after mission complete and then when I hit Fly Again , every single time. Your not alone and I bet that’s frustrating especially making videos.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

On 5/31/2021 at 3:07 PM, BIGNEWY said:

thanks

By "logs" you mean when a little pop up window asks "Send crash report" and you can add comments? Whenever possible I do that but half the time DCS crashes in such a way that this window is unresponsive, and neither is the main DCS window. But otherwise I always send the crash report. For the Harrier at the moment it crashes 100% of the time when quitting a flight, and about 80% of the time when you "quit to desktop". 

On 5/31/2021 at 3:19 PM, Hiob said:

@OP

Try enabling "windows 8 compatibility mode" for the dcs.exe in the /bin folder.

It helped not all but at least a few people with that issue (including me - no problems at all since then).

Trying doesn't hurt.

Only downside seem to be slightly longer loading times.

How do I do that in the bin folder? 

right click on the dcs.exe and check the box under the compatibility menu.

make sure, once you're there, that "fullscreen optimization" is deactivated and high-dpi scaling is forced "by application".

The terms may be slightly different, since I'm translating from a non-english windows 10 installation, but you should see what I mean.

Windows has some "optimizations" implemented which are meant to make programms run better, but most of the time the actual programms has those optimizations build in themselves and often better. As I said - a general rule of thumb, you want windows 10 to interfere with your applications as little as possible! That includes de(!)activating game mode (search in settings).

When you have stability issues, you should also, by default, reduce background applications as much as possible. (obviously you need some, like TrackIR, Discord perhaps, Afterburner and so on - those don't seem to cause issues, though).

Another Tip if(!) you experience problems of any kind (dcs or other) - get rid of any third party anti-virus/malware. Windows defender is a reasonable solution today and don't use as much resources as a lot of the others do.

Disclaimer: Some of those tips are of course a matter of personal experience and opinion. I am not a complete noob and know pretty much why those recommendations should work and how, but I won't engage in any discussion about it. None of them hurts and can be rolled back easily - so I would give it a try.

EDIT: If you have no more issues after todays patch the windows 8 compatibility mode is of course no longer of use.

Edited by Hiob

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

• ED Team
1 hour ago, CommandT said:

By "logs" you mean when a little pop up window asks "Send crash report" and you can add comments? Whenever possible I do that but half the time DCS crashes in such a way that this window is unresponsive, and neither is the main DCS window. But otherwise I always send the crash report. For the Harrier at the moment it crashes 100% of the time when quitting a flight, and about 80% of the time when you "quit to desktop". 

Yes the auto posting is the best thing to do, but if you want one of us to try to help in this thread you can also attach it here 

C:\Users\yourname\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Logs

we will be happy to look for clues. 

thanks

• Solution

Try with today's OB update and see if the issues are resolved

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

22 hours ago, hornblower793 said:

Try with today's OB update and see if the issues are resolved

Yep!!! Fixed! Finally!!! Geez. Thank god. Never thought I'd see the day!

On 6/2/2021 at 9:38 AM, BIGNEWY said:

Yes the auto posting is the best thing to do, but if you want one of us to try to help in this thread you can also attach it here 

C:\Users\yourname\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Logs

we will be happy to look for clues. 

thanks

Latest update seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks though! I'll keep that in mind 🙂

• Like 1