Alternate mounting for Orion?

Chris P

Just ordered my Orion and currently have a 1x12 across my corner desk space to give space for my old hotas.  Has anyone used a different desk attachment than the suction cups?   I doubt the raw wood will hold the cups.  Anyone tried attaching a wider plate to the suction cup holes, sim to the warthog stick base? Want to have a plan when it gets here.... ;)

Chris P

'Nascar'

Raleigh NC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you don’t need to move it, just some screws from through the base into the 1x12 will work.  It you want it easy to remove screw the base to a rhin piece of wood that extends beyond the edges of it and use thumb screws through it (that you can easily remove) into the 1x12.  I used some insert nuts in the wood so it holds better.

• Like 1

In case you are not aware, the footprint (without the suction cups) and the mount holes are the same size and pattern as the Warthog for both throttle and stick. Of course I'm assuming you are coming from a WH.

• Like 1

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Thanks, I asumed that was the case, though actually coming from a 15 year-old TM Cougar.  I'll prob just start with screw mount to my desk, but have been looking at the Monstertech chair mounts.  Looks like a more comfortable solution than desk mounted; my arms get tired... ☺

Chris P

'Nascar'

Raleigh NC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, Chris P said:

Thanks, I asumed that was the case, though actually coming from a 15 year-old TM Cougar.  I'll prob just start with screw mount to my desk, but have been looking at the Monstertech chair mounts.  Looks like a more comfortable solution than desk mounted; my arms get tired... ☺

I just moved from TM Cougar desk mounted to winwing libra/taurus with monstertech mounts. Being able to set the stick/throttle up exactly where they should be has made a huge difference to how long I can comfortably fly for. I'd highly recommend the mostertech (or something equivalent) to help you get the most out of your new stick/throttle.

For me the quick release was a big draw, it allows me to disconnect the throttle/combat/take off panel quickly and easily while I work and set them up again in exactly the right spot in under 30s. The stability of these things is also quite amazing, I had seen a number of reviews that really highlighted the mounts as a weakness for winwing, I saved a little cash there and threw it to monstertech...

• Like 1

Thanks! That's a big help.  Was just starting to do some checking on the Monstertech stuff and glad to see a positive review.  Now if FedEx will just get there with my Orion.....   🙂

Chris P

'Nascar'

Raleigh NC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Chris,

For a bit cheaper you can get the MEZA mounts on Amazon. Very similar to Monstertech and the only caveat of canting the Winwing Throttle due to the center plugged USB. Here's a photo of my Orion with Meza mounts. Overall happy, wish the rubber pads were "stickier" on my smooth desk but I can fix that. $189.99 on Amazon for both. 

IMG_3943.JPG

• Thanks 2

That's nice, but I work all day at this desk as well, so I'm really looking at the Monstertech chair mounts so I don't have to remove everything from the desk to work.

Chris P

'Nascar'

Raleigh NC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 6/3/2021 at 6:35 PM, WishfulThinking said:

IMG_3943.JPG

I wonder if you could get a L shaped USB to use for the throttle? 
Something like this:

71QqMzC-VqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 1

Modules: FC3, A-10C, M2000C, MiG-21bis, F-86F, AV-8B NA, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, A-29, Eurofighter Typhoon, A-6E, MiG-23MLA, Nevada, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Syria, Afghanistan

Specs: Intel i7 2600K, Nvidea GTX 980, 16GB RAM, NVMe SSD, Saitek X-55, TrackIR 5, Samsung Odyssey VR

Ohh that's definitely worth looking into! I haven't done too much in depth "research" but with the Winwing poor ergonomics topic, I think I'm able to reduce wrist stress by offsetting the throttle. Your solution of the cable though would make it cleaner in the "pit" 

On 6/4/2021 at 11:21 PM, Chris P said:

That's nice, but I work all day at this desk as well, so I'm really looking at the Monstertech chair mounts so I don't have to remove everything from the desk to work.

I too work all day at my desk and use the monster tech desk mounts, they come off super quick, I slide the stick to the side and leave it mounted on the desk out of the way and I put the throttle behind my work monitor just sitting on top of the desk. I had to go monster for the taurus, those other ones seem to have the quick release too so should be good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up going with the Meza table mounts with the 90 degree usb cable for the throttle.  I did have to screw the board down across my desk, but I don't move it anyway, so not a big deal.  So far, much more comfortable that up on the desk.  The Meza mounts seem to be just about the same construction as the Monstertech, but with shipping ended up being over 100 dollars cheaper.   Thanks to all for the advice!

• Like 1

Chris P

'Nascar'

Raleigh NC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/4/2021 at 8:54 PM, Dr.SquirrelBoy12 said:

I wonder if you could get a L shaped USB to use for the throttle? 
Something like this:

71QqMzC-VqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This works perfectly with the Orion Throttle and the Meza table mounts.

Chris P

'Nascar'

Raleigh NC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

I went with the FOXX Mounts. One thing to note, the round WH stick mount will not work with the Orion Stick.  At least with the Foxx mounts. You have to order the alternative mount plate. The front screws that mount the round base to the rail hit the front of the Orion. The other option is to put in some spacers to raise the base up.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2021 at 7:35 AM, WishfulThinking said:

Hey Chris,

For a bit cheaper you can get the MEZA mounts on Amazon. Very similar to Monstertech and the only caveat of canting the Winwing Throttle due to the center plugged USB. Here's a photo of my Orion with Meza mounts. Overall happy, wish the rubber pads were "stickier" on my smooth desk but I can fix that. $189.99 on Amazon for both. 

IMG_3943.JPG

Do you lube your throttle?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...