Technical feedback from today's mission (maybe a good resume on the state of the F-16)

deadpool

Another mission feedback from a technical point of view.

We try to fly realistic missions. Today I was part of a package with CAP/SEAD mission. SAMs weren't always active, but turned on and off during the mission. Parts of the SAMs were at prebriefed positions, parts not.

One consistent thing was, that you had problems nagging you. I don't think there is nothing beside PvP that might actually work as intended half decently.

Here is my writeup:

Overall issues:
- Readability MFDs, especially altitudes of contacts and TWS notations.
- Cluttering of the HSD page with overlapping SAM circles that ultimately lost to a degredation of SA, especially where which waypoints were located.
- Inability to hook waypoints on the HSD page with the cursor, leading to manual flipping through to find the right waypoint for a potential SAM site.
- SAM sites or AI air contacts locking someone still lead to RWR warnings everywhere on the map. This causes complacency in pilots ignoring those calls as they are desensitised. (this has been an issue for A LONG time)
- Betty telling you "CHAFF FLARE" when you're not really dropping flares as you have deactivated them.

Specific issues:

- HARM in F-16 did not show 11/SD even though RWR did see it and show it. Not even after a full scan cycle with the aircraft pointing at the site (which was launching missiles).
- HARMs in the F-16 fly towards the waypoint they were meant to in PB mode, but then make a 90° turn to head for a totally different SAM site.
- HARM turned itself off in flight. Was active on the SMS page, but WPN page showed that it was off.
- CAP flight was guiding an AMRAAM and flicked into DGFT mode, losing lock and trashing the missile. This defect is reported from December 2019 and was "as intended" until this year.

image.png

image.png

(oh and the second SA-2 was only briefly on .. so it got detracted from the actual site and then couldn't hit the other one as it overflew it harmlessly)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

Do not expect a reply to any questions, 30.06.2021 - Silenced by Nineline

4 hours ago, Mover said:

You're hearing CHAFF/FLARE even when you're not dropping anything?

Affirm. I got a CHAFF callout even with chaff's deactivated.

As far as I researched that wasn't correct. But I will believe you if you tell me otherwise.

4 hours ago, cofcorpse said:

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see some of the issues reported in the bugs section. I only see "HARM switching itself off during flight".

Could you make reports with tracks?

Edit: Track file uploaded to the bugthread

Edited by deadpool

Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

22 minutes ago, deadpool said:

Affirm. I got a CHAFF callout even with chaff's deactivated.

As far as I researched that wasn't correct. But I will believe you if you tell me otherwise.

Will do, the mission track file was long and it didn't play back to the point where this happened. And it's all about just pressing the "DL" button on the HARMs WPN page. So if I have some spare time, I'll put a track file into it asap.

Did you hit the CMS?

She always says CHAFF/FLARE (or LOW or OUT).  There is no CHAFF or FLARE only.  

8 minutes ago, Mover said:

Did you hit the CMS?

She always says CHAFF/FLARE (or LOW or OUT).  There is no CHAFF or FLARE only.  

Roger, I stand corrected then! Thank you!

HARM in DCS have immediate "other target" capability. If you fire against threat type X and it is not on (missile facing area so it can see it) then it will immediately, even in boost phase, switch to secondary target that it detects.

On 6/7/2021 at 1:23 AM, deadpool said:

Edit: Track file uploaded to the bugthread

In your track, and we already discussed that in the bug section, you press DL, DL turns it off cause it is a work in progress. HARM doesn't magically turn it self off, you pressed something then it went off.

Please stop saying it turned it self off, you even uploaded a track where you do that.

And about Chaff Flare, you probably pressed something again lol.

Edited by Furiz

18 minutes ago, Furiz said:

In your track, and we already discussed that in the bug section, you press DL, DL turns it off cause it is a work in progress. HARM doesn't magically turn it self off, you pressed something then it went off.

Please stop saying it turned it self off, you even uploaded a track where you do that.

And about Chaff Flare, you probably pressed something again lol.

I didn't watch the track but he may had hit the osb trying to turn it on, as in the track it was already on it may have turned it off.
Track replays are useless 99% of the time, they NEVER work for me, never. The only thing that works are videos and tacview.

We (my friends and I) made a SEAD mission this saturday and we had no major issue with them.

Edited by Ignition

18 hours ago, Ignition said:

I didn't watch the track but he may had hit the osb trying to turn it on, as in the track it was already on it may have turned it off.
Track replays are useless 99% of the time, they NEVER work for me, never. The only thing that works are videos and tacview.

We (my friends and I) made a SEAD mission this saturday and we had no major issue with them.

Furiz is just trying to be a smarty pants. 

I pressed the DL button in the mode selection of the WPN page and that turns the weapon off. 

I consider that a defective behaviour (as for example no reaction when pressing a non implemented feature might be better), Furiz apparently considers me to blame. 

I don't really care but provided the trackfile so that ED can make up their own mind. 

End of story. No drama. Nothing to see. 🙂

Edited by deadpool

5 hours ago, deadpool said:

Furiz is just trying to be a smarty pants. 

I pressed the DL button in the mode selection of the WPN page and that turns the weapon off. 

I consider that a defective behaviour (as for example no reaction when pressing a non implemented feature might be better), Furiz apparently considers me to blame. 

I don't really care but provided the trackfile so that ED can make up their own mind. 

End of story. No drama. Nothing to see. 🙂

You made a bug report with a statement that HARM turns it self off during flight. That is wrong, that is why I replied. It turns off when you press DL.

Dunno what are you trying to say here.