HMD uplook

oldcrusty

It looks like it's always enabled even with Amraam selected. When I 'enabled' it with SCS down with Aim9X selected, I could see 'Uplook' across HMD but no change in behavior. The reticle was always moving up at a faster rate then my head, which does help a bit. Since I've never seen how the real uplook works, I'm assuming this feature is there already... except it's always on in HACQ/LACQ.

I was using VR.

Uplooks are implemented but the central reticle is not the uplook reticle, the uplooks are little crosshairs that appear way up on the upper edge of the FOV on either side depending on which way you are looking. Think about where your eyebrow is, instead of where your nose is.

Depending on your FOV setting you may be zoomed in just too far to see the uplooks. Try zooming out a bit and looking to either side.

The only issue IIRC from when I was playing with these a while back is they do not blink when you exceed the AIM-9X’s field of regard with them, which can make it difficult to cue with. Other wise, the seeker of the AIM-9X cues to the uplook, and you can uncage the missile on a target when you hear a tone change.

There is zero symbology (seeker circle or any kind of cueing) other than the crosshairs, so it can be rather hard to use unless you know what you are looking for.

You can actually see the HUD AIM-9 Seeker circle pegged on the upper right corner of the HUD when you have your view roughly centered, it is pointing to the  right uplook. The HMD’s AIM-9 Seeker circle stays centered in the HMD. All of this behavior is correct and accurate, other than the uplook reticles not blinking when you exceed the FOV of the AIM-9X.

Edited by KlarSnow

13 minutes ago, KlarSnow said:

Uplooks are implemented but the central reticle is not the uplook reticle, the uplooks are little crosshairs that appear way up on the upper edge of the FOV on either side depending on which way you are looking. Think about where your eyebrow is, instead of where your nose is.

Depending on your FOV setting you may be zoomed in just too far to see the uplooks. Try zooming out a bit and looking to either side.

The only issue IIRC from when I was playing with these a while back is they do not blink when you exceed the AIM-9X’s field of regard with them, which can make it difficult to cue with. Other wise, the seeker of the AIM-9X cues to the uplook, and you can uncage the missile on a target when you hear a tone change.

There is zero symbology (seeker circle or any kind of cueing) other than the crosshairs, so it can be rather hard to use unless you know what you are looking for.

You can actually see the HUD AIM-9 Seeker circle pegged on the upper right corner of the HUD when you have your view roughly centered, it is pointing to the  right uplook. The HMD’s AIM-9 Seeker circle stays centered in the HMD. All of this behavior is correct and accurate, other than the uplook reticles not blinking when you exceed the FOV of the AIM-9X.

Got it, Thanks

Yes, I actually saw 'something' at the extreme edges of my peripheral when twisting my head left and right. With my current FOV in Reverb G2 it is impossible to use and... I'm not pulling G's so the normal cue is fine. Just have to be careful not to strain my back when twisting and pushing off arm rests, hehe.