Bring back auto indication of the correct fuel amount?

CoBlue

Fuel gauge not showing or auto correcting (after refuel) the right amount of fuel, even in autostart/airstart?

The average DCS user don't have time to do Ibs to Liters conversions. Mig-21 is the only plane in DCS that has this now, why complicate things? It's a PITA. Especially when flying on imperial GUI & several quick missions.

RL Ground crew sets the right amount of fuel on the Fuel gauge, it's his responsibility. At least show the correct fuel in Liters on a kneeboard.

Seriously the Mig-21, that was one of my favorite aircraft has became worse & worse after the latest updates.

Game breaking buggs like: canopy reflections, gear suspension, fuel-gauge! 🤮 Nobody in my squad wants to fly it anymore!

I wouldn't recommend the Mig-21 to anyone ATM. Why u destroying the joy of 21? Won't be good for your future Corsair sales, that's for sure!

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

@Hiromachi Did you guys take away the auto-calibration of fuel quantity? Honestly, that'd be something we should be alerted to in patch notes.

Still, why would you need to convert out of liters at all? 2,850L internally, 490l for the smaller tanks, 800l for the larger. That's very easy math to deal with. Round the small tanks up to 500 and the main tank up to 2,900 and then subtract 10 for each small tank and 50 for the big tank if you need to arrange the math into something more easily done in the head.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

On 5/31/2021 at 3:24 PM, CoBlue said:

The average DCS user don't have time to do Ibs to Liters conversions.

???? ??

Why would you need to convert anything? Nothing in the aircraft uses imperial measure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MiG21bisFishbedL said:

@Hiromachi Did you guys take away the auto-calibration of fuel quantity? Honestly, that'd be something we should be alerted to in patch notes.

Still, why would you need to convert out of liters at all? 2,850L internally, 490l for the smaller tanks, 800l for the larger. That's very easy math to deal with. Round the small tanks up to 500 and the main tank up to 2,900 and then subtract 10 for each small tank and 50 for the big tank if you need to arrange the math into something more easily done in the head.

Sure on ground & if going with full tanks.

1 hour ago, rossmum said:

???? ??

Why would you need to convert anything? Nothing in the aircraft uses imperial measure.

Yes it does, my ME is imperial. Where do you see how many liters I have with 64% fuel?

Screen_210602_012205.png

Why complicate things, when every other aircraft shows correct fuel?

Edited by CoBlue

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

I thought you meant in-mission, not ME. In that case, some conversion would have been necessary anyway (from kilograms to litres) even if you had it set to metric measure.

I have yet to actually have this issue, perhaps just because I haven't had to run a rearm/refuel since last patch, but to be honest it isn't that big a deal and if anything might help reinforce in players' minds that the "fuel gauge" isn't a fuel gauge, but rather taking how much fuel it thinks was put into the aircraft and then subtracting from that based on fuel burn rate. Checking it is set correctly is good practice as I am losing count of the number of times I've seen people flame out from punching tanks before they were empty, without correcting the dial back to full internal, and then relying on it rather than the fuel tank empty lights.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, CoBlue said:

Sure on ground & if going with full tanks.

Yes it does, my ME is imperial. Where do you see how many liters I have with 64% fuel?

But you know the MiG-21 has 800L in the bigger of the 2 externals (490L in the smaller one). You've got your internal fuel set to 64%, and the MiG-21 carries around 2900 litres internally.

So the equation is very simple: 2900L*0.64 + 800L = 2656L. 

Which looks about right according to this conversion chart (not sure what the exact fuel is, but for a back-of-the envelope calculation I think it's suitable).

Personally, it would be good if we could see volumes of fuel instead of just mass, for aircraft that use volumes instead of mass.

Why complicate things, when every other aircraft shows correct fuel?

Because this way is how the real aircraft works?

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

26 minutes ago, rossmum said:

I thought you meant in-mission, not ME. In that case, some conversion would have been necessary anyway (from kilograms to litres) even if you had it set to metric measure.

Yeah, if you're in the editor, you got time to tab out or get some scratch paper.

• Like 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

1 hour ago, Northstar98 said:

Because this way is how the real aircraft works?

RL pilot gets a loadsheet from ground-crew saying exactly how many Liters it's in his 21 & he signs it. It's not pilots responsibility to refuel the aircraft, he's not standing there counting the Liters, now is he? It's ground-crew's responsibility!

Bottom line is he has a paper saying exactly the amount of fuel in his 21 & we don't have this in DCS Mig-21....how realistic is that? :doh:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Frederf said:

About 3 times a year someone comes and says "the fuel gauge is not automatically set on rearm" and every time they are wrong.

mig-refuel.trk 28.83 kB · 1 download

It's not resetting for me, so no, they might not be wrong. We had an issue like this with the MiG in regards to the ASO-2 once upon a time; for some it worked, others it didn't.

Edit: On a hunch, I'm going to run a repair.

Second Edit: Ran repair, refueled and it's working as it was once again. Neat!

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frederf said:

I am curious to see such a case as a track. Every time this happens no track is given or track shows gauge being set correctly.

I'll keep an eye out for it if it happens again. I tested thrice more and it reset correctly after each refuel and rearm.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CoBlue said:

RL pilot gets a loadsheet from ground-crew saying exactly how many Liters it's in his 21 & he signs it. It's not pilots responsibility to refuel the aircraft, he's not standing there counting the Liters, now is he? It's ground-crew's responsibility!

Hang on, I thought this was about an automatic fuel gauge, not failings of DCS' ground crew, which one do you want exactly?

And again, the calculation is super simple, I don't understand why this is a big issue.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

15 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Hang on, I thought this was about an automatic fuel gauge, not failings of DCS' ground crew, which one do you want exactly?

And again, the calculation is super simple, I don't understand why this is a big issue.

Never question the elite. 😛 Their assertions are fact. 

I've been flying the -21 all day since I had off. Not an issue with quantity at all.

• Like 2

I've heard people report this (and other bizarre issues I've never been able to reproduce) for a while. I do wonder if there's some way the files can get a bit hokey without fully breaking the module, and without reaching the point where the repair tool spots the error. So far it's either this or the RSBN channels going skynet, and I've never experienced either.

The gauge has one really annoying problem: until you jiggle it the first time the needle position is uninitialized. The most obvious demonstration is starting with full fuel, not touching the fuel gauge, and then later mousewheel adjusting the knob. Say the needle has decreased to 500L and one click of mousewheel adjusts by 10L. After getting down to 500L and then clicking up or down on the mousewheel doesn't give 510 or 490L but jumps back to the original amount +-10L. So the needle really isn't where the needle is displayed but it's stuck at the start for the purposes of adjustment.

Unrelated is a second issue in that the needle gets auto set to the total amount of fuel instead of the total usable. From internal fuel you should set an amount about 80L less than the module does for realistic practice to ensure that you don't flameout at more than 0L indicated remaining. Real life practice is to set a rather conservative usable amount in the gauge which is why the flight manual gives needle settings lower than we see auto-set in module.

• Like 2

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Frederf:

The gauge has one really annoying problem: until you jiggle it the first time the needle position is uninitialized. The most obvious demonstration is starting with full fuel, not touching the fuel gauge, and then later mousewheel adjusting the knob. Say the needle has decreased to 500L and one click of mousewheel adjusts by 10L. After getting down to 500L and then clicking up or down on the mousewheel doesn't give 510 or 490L but jumps back to the original amount +-10L. So the needle really isn't where the needle is displayed but it's stuck at the start for the purposes of adjustment.

Unrelated is a second issue in that the needle gets auto set to the total amount of fuel instead of the total usable. From internal fuel you should set an amount about 80L less than the module does for realistic practice to ensure that you don't flameout at more than 0L indicated remaining. Real life practice is to set a rather conservative usable amount in the gauge which is why the flight manual gives needle settings lower than we see auto-set in module.

https://leatherneck-sim.mantishub.io/view.php?id=1134