Russian Navy Mig-29K Ai

Hello everyone.

Would love to see a Mig-29K variant added to the sim that is compatible with the Kuznetsov.

This would make good use of the new Kuznetsov Model and round out 4th gen naval aviation a little more.

Thanks. 

Edited by Avalanche110
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Which K variant exactly? The one from late 1980s named 9.31 tested on Tbilisi cruiser along with Su-27K in the last years of the Soviet Union? I guess i could be possible in the future if ED will really be able to model 9.12. Especially AI doesn't have to be as detailed as full fidelity module.

Or the new totally classified MiG-29K which Russian Navy just received, 24 pieces in 2016 with completely new airframe, two-crew canopy, AESA radar and so on, with absolutely no data available and zero subject matter experts input (way more modern and recent than our retired F/A-18C)?

This is totally impossible except for some completely unrealistic made up fiction mods. Or AI with new skin and arbitrarily "let's add some more radar, some more avionics, some more range etc.".

Edited by bies
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bies said:

Which K variant exactly? The one from late 1980s named 9.31 tested on Tbilisi cruiser along with Su-27K in the last years of the Soviet Union? I guess i could be possible in the future if ED will really be able to model 9.12. Especially AI doesn't have to be as detailed as full fidelity module.

What does the ability to model the 9.12 have to do with the MiG-29K 9.31?

5 hours ago, bies said:

Or the new totally classified MiG-29K which Russian Navy just received, 24 pieces in 2016 with completely new airframe, two-crew canopy, AESA radar and so on, with absolutely no data available and zero subject matter experts input (way more modern and recent than our retired F/A-18C)?

It doesn't have an AESA though - it has the Zhuk-M planar slotted array radar , which in turn is an updated version of the N010 Zhuk installed in the old 9.31 MiG-29K. Besides, the old 9.31 is also still classified and, if anything, probably even harder to find information on than the new 9.41.

5 hours ago, bies said:

This is totally impossible except for some completely unrealistic made up fiction mods. Or AI with new skin and arbitrarily "let's add some more radar, some more avionics, some more range etc.".

Well the subject title did say "Russian Navy Mig-29K Ai" 😉

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bies said:

Since you put things that way, then it would have to be the 9.31. 

6 hours ago, bies said:

The question isn't asking for a flyable MiG-29K so the newer version would be preferable if it can be done AI. 

Seeing as we already have a Su-34 AI, I don't see any reason that would bar us from having an AI MiG-29K as well. And since we are getting more and more late 2000s or 2010s modules, I think some modern AI aircraft would be nice to have. It's not like AI aircraft in DCS ever been particularly accurate regarding flight and system performance anyway.

Although, to be perfectly honest, I'd rather see greater focus on 80s assets, both flyable and AI. But that's my preference. While I don't particularly care for them, modern AI assets does make sense at this point, because DCS is getting lots of modern modules lately.

• Like 3

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

20 hours ago, bies said:

Which K variant exactly? The one from late 1980s named 9.31 tested

I had no Idea how deep this rabbit hole was. and most likely explains why we don't have one already.

13 hours ago, WinterH said:

Seeing as we already have a Su-34 AI, I don't see any reason that would bar us from having an AI MiG-29K as well.

Yes I agree, But I believe Russia has changed some laws regarding the research of their military equipment, hence why BlackShark 3 was delayed.

It could be difficult to recreate a K variant (even though we have a modern SU34) under these new laws.

13 hours ago, WinterH said:

modern AI assets does make sense at this point, because DCS is getting lots of modern modules lately.

I look forward to more Cold war Era Modules and assets and its great to hear that we will be getting more soon.

However ED has done a great job with modern Carrier aviation thus far. We have a new Kuznetsov Model and it would be great to be able to capitalise on that,

especially with the Marianas map and Falkland Islands coming out which have vast ocean areas for Naval engagements.

I must say though the Mig-29 Does look right at home on the Kuznetsov, even if its just a static object for now.Russian Navy.bmp

7 hours ago, Avalanche110 said:

I had no Idea how deep this rabbit hole was. and most likely explains why we don't have one already.

Not really - as WinterH said, as long as we are talking AI-only, there would be no problem with either version of the MiG-29K.

The MiG-29K still exists in DCS as a "dormant" entry from the days of Flanker 2.5. In regards to radar, I remember a long time ago looking through DCS's table of "abstract radars"(the ones assigned to AI aircraft) and the Zhuk-M radar already existed in the list back then, just as all the associated armament already exists and is fully functional in the sim.

So provided that a new 3D model is made for it, it would be pretty straight forward to re-introduce it into DCS as an AI entry.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, WinterH said:

Seeing as we already have a Su-34 AI, I don't see any reason that would bar us from having an AI MiG-29K as well. And since we are getting more and more late 2000s or 2010s modules, I think some modern AI aircraft would be nice to have. It's not like AI aircraft in DCS ever been particularly accurate regarding flight and system performance anyway.

Although, to be perfectly honest, I'd rather see greater focus on 80s assets, both flyable and AI. But that's my preference. While I don't particularly care for them, modern AI assets does make sense at this point, because DCS is getting lots of modern modules lately.

I prefer the 1980s and earlier assets due to the issues with Russian laws. I don't know enough about how much the MiG-29K has changed but I do know I would like what ever I could get. I think the easiest version to do would be what ever is the closest too the MIG-29S we already have, though if it is possible for Eagle to do a later version that would be fine too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seaeagle said:

Not really - as WinterH said, as long as we are talking AI-only, there would be no problem with either version of the MiG-29K.

The MiG-29K still exists in DCS as a "dormant" entry from the days of Flanker 2.5. In regards to radar, I remember a long time ago looking through DCS's table of "abstract radars"(the ones assigned to AI aircraft) and the Zhuk-M radar already existed in the list back then, just as all the associated armament already exists and is fully functional in the sim.

So provided that a new 3D model is made for it, it would be pretty straight forward to re-introduce it into DCS as an AI entry.

I really want to see what someone from Eagle has to say on this. If you are right then they should do it

Su-34 has entered service over 4 years later than MiG-29K, and is arguably the higher end, more sensitive equipment of the two.

Like I have said, AI units in DCS are not nearly as detailed and realistic in neither flight, nor systems performance characteristics, and don't require nearly as much in the way of potentially sensitive data, nor do they reveal much of any meaningful things about potentially classified things. They also don't fly in tactical sense that represent how the real type fights. They have a few set attack patterns and they just rinse/repeat those.

I may be wrong, but from what I see, what you need for an AI aircraft in DCS is a good 3D model, and more or less wikipedia level of information on the aircraft itself.

Now, I too personally prefer 80s assets, but that is because I want the maing thing DCS to be the 70s-80s. That's where you can likely make much less guesstimated player aircraft, hopefully from both sides of the cold war fence. Also I personally find modern aircraft outright boring, for me personally anyway. However, despite my personal preferences, I must admit at this point getting some modern AI aircraft in DCS makes as much sense as 70s-80s ones, because we have F/A-18C, F-16C, JF-17 all either late 2000s or early 2010s, as well as upcoming AH-64D Block II, Eurofighter Typhoon, and F-15E, which will all apparently be at least late 2000s. These things don't have a lot of contemporary things to play with neither player controlled, nor AI wise.

AI SAM sites probably require more sensitive information to model than AI aircraft.

• Like 2

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script