How do you get good audio?

moggel

I got my first VR headset (Reverb G2) this weekend and I'm honestly blown away. I was expecting to get a slide show with my mediocre machine but It's very nice and smooth and I don't see myself going back to a 2D monitor again.

There are a few problems though and one of them is the audio. The built in speakers a good and comfy but due to the distance from the ear, and the fact nothing is blocking ambient sound, alot of the game's audio is lost or too faint.

As an example; I can no longer hear the APU coming online in the Hornet. How do you guys deal with this problem? I have tried wearing my usual headset over the Reverb but that's doesn't work. Is there some sort of addon you can get to "isolate" you from the ambience of your environment and get immersed in the virtual sound space, like with a normal headset?

Edited by moggel

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

• moggel changed the title to How do you get good audio?
13 minutes ago, Drac said:

Have you adjusted the volumes under the "Options" tab on the main DCS screen?

Yes

i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz; 16Gb DDR3; GeForce GTX 1070; Windows 10; TM Warthog HOTAS

I have to ask this, did you place the speakers correctly in front of each ear? If you still have audio quality issues, then something must be wrong with your HMD since you got one of the best audio solutions for VR HMDs.

i9 13900K @5.5GHz, Z790 Gigabyte Aorus Master, RTX4090 Waterforce, 64 GB DDR5 @5600, Pico 4, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with Rhino FFB base made by VPforce, DCS: all modules

2 minutes ago, RealDCSpilot said:

I have to ask this, did you place the speakers correctly in front of each ear? If you still have audio quality issues, then something must be wrong with your HMD since you got one of the best audio solutions for VR HMDs.

I dunno. I'm a complete VR noob TBH. I just pulled them down from the "upward position". Is there some special angle I'm looking for?

Moggel, I have the same issue with the Reverb G2s audio, so I have tried using my old Sennheiser wireless headset over the G2 with the G2s phones removed.  That works really well, except for the fact that the Sennheisers are really old technology and the audio fades in and out, so I'm working on bypassing my rig's onboard bluetooth (since I live in an apartment that acts like a Faraday cage and severely limits bluetooth signal range) so I can try a more modern bluetooth headset.  What kind of issue did you have with trying your regular headset?  IMHO, I don't think there's anything wrong with your G2s audio.  Its just not a good setup when you have any ambient noise in your simming area.  On the rare occasions that I can manage to not have any ambient noise, the G2 sounds great.  But those occasions are few and far between, so the audio is too faint for me as well, and washed out by the ambient noise.  I have a pair of Bose QC35s that I'm going to be trying once my Bluetooth dongle gets here from Amazon.  I'll let you know how that goes.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Why does wearing your headset over the reverb not work for you?

I removed the Reverb G1 ear speakers and use most of the time my JBL control 1 pro stereo speakers. (Sometimes I put on my regular headphones.)

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

On 5/31/2021 at 4:01 PM, eaglecash867 said:

Moggel, I have the same issue with the Reverb G2s audio, so I have tried using my old Sennheiser wireless headset over the G2 with the G2s phones removed.  That works really well, except for the fact that the Sennheisers are really old technology and the audio fades in and out, so I'm working on bypassing my rig's onboard bluetooth (since I live in an apartment that acts like a Faraday cage and severely limits bluetooth signal range) so I can try a more modern bluetooth headset.  What kind of issue did you have with trying your regular headset?  IMHO, I don't think there's anything wrong with your G2s audio.  Its just not a good setup when you have any ambient noise in your simming area.  On the rare occasions that I can manage to not have any ambient noise, the G2 sounds great.  But those occasions are few and far between, so the audio is too faint for me as well, and washed out by the ambient noise.  I have a pair of Bose QC35s that I'm going to be trying once my Bluetooth dongle gets here from Amazon.  I'll let you know how that goes.

Been seeing more than one gamer warning against replacing the Reverb headphones with a headset, as it can induce "severe claustrophobia". Sounds like that's not an issue for you at least?

I have always used earbuds, with every headset I have owned.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

54 minutes ago, moggel said:

Been seeing more than one gamer warning against replacing the Reverb headphones with a headset, as it can induce "severe claustrophobia". Sounds like that's not an issue for you at least?

I actually find it more comfortable to wear headphones (a Steelseries Arctis 7 in my case) under the G2. It is a tight fit, yes, but not really claustrophobia inducing. And I always imagine that wearing an actual fighter helmet, is probably similar.

But otherwise you won´t get "good" audio out of those little speakers.

5 hours ago, moggel said:

Nope.  Not an issue for me.  I would think that people that are prone to claustrophobia would already have issues with VR itself, so I imagine headphones would amplify that.  I have hearing damage from almost 29 years of being on the flightline, so trying to filter out ambient noise and separate things is exhausting.  This past weekend I was able to get the QC35s linked up to my PC and the sound is amazing from the quick testing I did.  The QC35s also fit quite comfortably over the top of the G2 when the onboard phones are removed.  Couldn't actually fly a mission or anything yet though, since my cat had commandeered my gaming chair for his morning nap on Sunday.  I think its going to be a good solution though.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

As other said, I see no problem using other headphones over G2.

I use Sennheisser HD-25 (closed design headphones) in my Rift CV1, Rift S and now in my Reverb G2. For two reasons: headphones of the VR headset usually are open design and don't isolate from out noise (big GPUs, for example, make lots of noise nowadays) or in Rift S and G2 are even worst design IMO, and second, a good quality headphones is always better than VR headphones (usually not very good quality).

Perhaps I'm a bit nerd about sound quality (I'm a musician, if that help something, heheh), but I think is important for the inmersion, specially in VR.

The down side of closed design headphones is the hearing fatigue (not sure is the right word) in long term. Always be careful with the volumes, that helps something. Another down side is that you can go crazy with prices in good quality headphones, hehehe...

Edited by nachomaga

Moggel, I flew a mission today with the G2s earphones removed and replaced by the QC35s, and it makes all the difference in immersion.  The sound is amazing and I can almost feel the sound of the GAU-8 as I make gun runs in the A-10C.  Just one little glitch in the beginning though.  I wasn't getting audio, so I thought something had crashed.  Turns out I just had to go to WMR settings and turn off the "Use headset audio when in VR" switch.  This change has given new life to the G2, because the stock, off-ear audio is awful.

Edited by eaglecash867