Speed brake Switches not working as they are supposed to?

Double Dutch

I want to configure the speedbrake as follows:

- push a button and as long as I hold it, it goes up

- push a button and as long as I hold it, it goes down

- push a button once, and it closes.

I wanted to use the following controls for that:

image.png

For EXTEND/LShift + B it works like a charm (I push and it extends as long as I push the 4 way button in that direction, if I stop pushing, it stops extending).

For RETRAC/LCtrl + BT it works like an OFF function (I press once and it goes all the way in. The only way to prevent it going in completely is to push EXTEND).

OFF/B doesn't work at all, I press the button and the speedbrake stays out.

Buttons tested via Virpil test tool & button confirmed working in DCS Controls.

I would expect EXTEND and RETRACT to work similar but opposite of each other (keyboard controls seem to suggest too). But they don't, which seems like a bug. 

Example which should be possible: 

I want to break real fast to get into an advantage and Extend my airbreak to 90% by using RETRACT I want to be able to bring it down to f.i. 30%. When I am done, I want to push OFF and it retracts completelyly.

The fact OFF doesn't do anything is a bug?

-----

Don't practise till you got it right.

Practise till you don't do it wrong

• ED Team

Hi,

this is correct as is. 

The off position is essentially the middle position. 

Extend and retract work as intended. 

thanks 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

5 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi,

this is correct as is. 

The off position is essentially the middle position. 

Extend and retract work as intended. 

thanks 

hi,

What do you mean by middle position. I have the flaps fully extended, press off, nothing happens. Half extender, press off nothing. I press off and try to extend, I can.

What exactly goes 'off'?

Edited by Double Dutch

-----

hi,

What do you mean by middle position. I have the flaps fully extended, press off, nothing happens. Half extender, press off nothing. I press off and try to extend, I can.
What exactly goes 'off'?

The command to the speed brake is off. Your telling the system to do nothing. IRL the speed brake switch is a three position return to center via spring. When not touched the switch is in the middle "off" position. You hold aft to extend and when you release, the brake will stay in position (below 400 knots and when clean) and the switch returns to off. Bump it forward and the brake retracts and switch returns to middle "off" position.

Mobius708

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hulkbust44 said:

The command to the speed brake is off. Your telling the system to do nothing. IRL the speed brake switch is a three position return to center via spring. When not touched the switch is in the middle "off" position. You hold aft to extend and when you release, the brake will stay in position (below 400 knots and when clean) and the switch returns to off. Bump it forward and the brake retracts and switch returns to middle "off" position.

Mobius708

For EXTEND, absolutely!!

I extend and whenever I let go of the switch, it stops, no matter how far I am extracted.

For retracting to stop I have 2 options, when it goes down press OFF, or press EXTEND very shortly.

I would find more logical that extend and retract operate the same way and when I want to stop using airbrake I press off

More logical than needing 2 commands to be able to go from a 90% speedbrake to 60%.

it makes maximizing the use of your your speedbreak in f.i. dogfights harder to do by introduce the extra action.

Edited by Double Dutch

-----

Also don't forget, the RL and the TM HW speedbrake switch is momentary (spring return on this "side") in aft position, when you release it, it goes back to the middle (OFF) position, while when you push it forward, it stays forward like a switch does, or as you should hold a button, should you assign Retract function to a simple button other than the speedbrake switch...

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Razor18 said:

Also don't forget, the RL and the TM HW speedbrake switch is momentary (spring return on this "side") in aft position, when you release it, it goes back to the middle (OFF) position, while when you push it forward, it stays forward like a switch does, or as you should hold a button, should you assign Retract function to a simple button other than the speed brake switch...

I was thinking in manoeuvrability, if you want to bleed speed fast to make f.i. a tighter turn but then still want to slow down, you press retract but with off, you can stop the speed break retracting.

Scenario could be to break hard, extend to 90%, break softer press retract once and press off when it is back to f.i. 30%, then when you have your correct speed press off.

One of the way I used to dodge rockets (in Jane's/DiD EF2000) was to get the missile on a 90 degree angle on my flight path, get to the optimum speed (speedbreak) to be able to turn as tight as possible and the rocket would not be able to make that angle as I would turn into its direction. 

(Still have to test that technique in DCS).

🙂

Edited by Double Dutch

-----

• ED Team

Hi all, just a reminder not to post images from NATOPS here.

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2