Keen on pulling the plug on the Hind but....

foxonefoxtwo

Keen to get the Hind but not certain due to my stick which is a Logitech Extreme 3D. I have used it to fly helos in Microsoft Flight Sim but I understand DCS is a different beast. Havent dedicated too much time to helis in DCS, only flew the Mi-8 during a free to play period and was able to takeoff and target soft armor with decent accuracy. If it helps, can air refuel a Hornet after some trying. So the question is, would i be okay with the HIND, or should I wait till I can afford a better stick..

thanks for your help

Also, I did get the CH53 free mod, but that thing is crazy and I cannot get it to fly straight. Seems wayyy too touchy.

The CH53 flies like it has 0 weight behind it, don't base your experience on that.

I was flying helicopters in XPlane 11 (where the helo flight model is on par with DCS) for ages on an Attack 3, same as the 3D Pro but without a twist grip and I was doing just fine.

Getting a better stick will of course make it easier, but you'll be fine on the Logitech, especially in cruise where the helo will handle more or less like a fixed wing, you'll just have to get used to hover being a bit more difficult.

How are the pots holding up on all axes? No spiking? If they're good, you should be fine. I flew my first couple dozen hours in the Huey using that stick. Then I ditched it because of pot spiking and got the t.16000m, which has a similar build quality save for using hall sensors instead of pots, and flew a few hundred hours in the Mi-8 and didn't feel like the stick was limiting me much.

Do you have a separate throttle? That could possibly be the weakest part of the Logitech and I would be hesitant to recommend the Mi-8 if you're gonna use the one on the stick, but the Mi-24 will perhaps depend less on precise collective control because of the type of flying you will be doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morrov said:

1 hour ago, Morrov said:

The CH53 flies like it has 0 weight behind it, don't base your experience on that.

I was flying helicopters in XPlane 11 (where the helo flight model is on par with DCS) for ages on an Attack 3, same as the 3D Pro but without a twist grip and I was doing just fine.

Getting a better stick will of course make it easier, but you'll be fine on the Logitech, especially in cruise where the helo will handle more or less like a fixed wing, you'll just have to get used to hover being a bit more difficult.

Yes, thats what I was thinking. Will probably figure hover later.

41 minutes ago, lmp said:

How are the pots holding up on all axes? No spiking? If they're good, you should be fine. I flew my first couple dozen hours in the Huey using that stick. Then I ditched it because of pot spiking and got the t.16000m, which has a similar build quality save for using hall sensors instead of pots, and flew a few hundred hours in the Mi-8 and didn't feel like the stick was limiting me much.

Do you have a separate throttle? That could possibly be the weakest part of the Logitech and I would be hesitant to recommend the Mi-8 if you're gonna use the one on the stick, but the Mi-24 will perhaps depend less on precise collective control because of the type of flying you will be doing.

Not sure what are pots/ spiking. As for the throttle, no I use the one on the stick. Havent had too much trouble with regard to air refuelling but again not sure about helos.

Pots as in potentiometers, and by spiking they meand that they're not smooth but jittery and they jump around. The T16000m for example (which is basically what I use too) has hall sensors which are magnetic, meaning they don't start jumping and spiking for muuuuuch longer and are smoother/more precise.

Using the little slider throttle will be hard for precise hovering, but you probably can get used to it with time, and the Hind lets you do rolling takeoffs and landings so you can ignore hover as much as possible lol

Though I think it's still doable, it'll just take time to get used to.

If you can be precise enough with the throttle and stick to refuel, you'll be golden. I found that being able to fly warbirds well, particularly the trickier ones like the Spit and 109, is another good indication that you'll be able to fly DCS helicopters with what you have just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a very budget HOTAS system (Black Widow) and I can fly KA-50 just fine with it. DCS is quite friendly playing with joysticks and to be honest, I'd be highly surprised if you can't get it to work satisfactorily with it.

Pull the trigger.

i5-12400F, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX, MSI RTX4060 8GB, 1TB Corsair Pro NVME.

Finally, I can run DCS!!!

wait until 24hours before it is available for download, that way you can still get  a discount if you want to buy it and by that time you will also know what state it is in at launch

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.