Can activate ACM from SIL but not deactivate SIL in ACM

Topper81

I guess it makes no sence if I can activate ACM mode in SIL mode.

1. You cannot lock a target in SIL mode

2. You cannot deactivate SIL mode in ACM mode directly (Because the SIL pushbutton on the ddi becomes the ACM button in ACM mode, so you cannot click it to deactivate SIL)

So if you are in ACM mode and in SIL mode, you have to exit ACM first, deactivate SIL mode and then go back into ACM mode again to lock a target. As I can imagin, there are five possibilites:

a) It's not possible to enter ACM mode from SIL mode (Stay in SIL mode instead)

b) It's possible to deactivate SIL mode in ACM mode somehow (I just don't know how)

c) SIL mode will be deactivated automaticly by entering an ACM mode

d) SIL mode and ACM mode buttons are different, so you have still a SIL button in ACM

e) The real hornet is buggy for this use case 😉

SIL_ACM.trk

Edited by Topper81

11 minutes ago, Jak525 said:

Commanding ACM from SILent should exit SIL and go to ACM. No way to enter SIL directly from ACM since yes, the "ACM" box replaces it.

So then it's a bug if SIL mode is active and you activate ACM and the radar cannot lock something from my point of view.

But I can imagin that the SIL mode is only deactivated in ACM mode because it has less emmissions I guess and so it's ok to have the radar on for ACM only if you don't want to be get detected by hostiles RWRs. But if you then deactivate ACM, SIL mode should be active again (I guess).

Edited by Topper81

6 minutes ago, Jak525 said:

Commanding ACM from SILent should exit SIL and go to ACM. No way to enter SIL directly from ACM since yes, the "ACM" box replaces it.

Another bug to list?  I was wondering about this issue when tinkering with HACQ yesterday.

Topper's option 'c'  makes sense.  I guess getting back to 'SIL' from ACM wouldn't really matter...  the neighborhood knows you're there once you entered ACM scenario.

• Like 1

Correct, it's option C. Obviously it makes zero sense for the jet to enter ACM from SILent, stay in SIL, and have no button to exit SIL from there. Just common sense.

Anyway, commanding ACM from SIL is the equivalent of unboxing "SIL" (plus it commands ACM, obviously).

Edited by Jak525

I just noticed:

While fixing this bug, please note that the radar line must move to the corect position or search pattern, depending on the ACM mode (Same for elevation marker). 😉

grafik.png

Edited by Topper81

2 hours ago, Gripes323 said:

the neighborhood knows you're there once you entered ACM scenario.

I thought about this.

Following scenario:

- You have a visual contact, not sure if friend or foe.

- You activated the ACM (very short) to lock the contact for an IFF

- You have identified that contacts as frindly and want to go back into SIL

Edited by Topper81

23 minutes ago, Topper81 said:

I thought about this.

Following scenario:

:wink:, anyways I'm glad you reported this and it lands on some priority list.

• Like 1

Thought more about it...

My guess is as follows:

In SIL mode, you have to press TDC Depress, and the radar will do a single pattern for the active ACM mode and try to lock a target. Or radar is just on as long as you press TDC Depress 😉

But thats just my expectation.

Edited by Topper81

4 minutes ago, Topper81 said:

Thought more about it...

My conclusion is as follows:

In SIL mode, you have to press TDC Depress, and the radar will do a single pattern for the active ACM mode and try to lock a target. Or radar is just on as long as you press TDC Depress 😉

But thats just my expectation.

Hehe, you know... one thing (thread) at a time.

13 minutes ago, Gripes323 said:

Hehe, you know... one thing (thread) at a time.

Yes I know, but it's the same thing for me, first post was "I guess it makes no sence if I can activate ACM mode in SIL mode. " 😉

And then the answer would be b) It's possible to deactivate SIL mode (temporarly) in ACM mode somehow (I just don't know how)

And maybe it makes sence this way... I don't know the solution of this contradiction, that's EDs job to find it out or to explain it 😉

Edited by Topper81

5 hours ago, Topper81 said:

I thought about this.

Following scenario:

In this scenario, you would simply hit Undesignate/RTS (return to search), which'd exit both STT and ACM, and then hit the SIL option. There is no way to go straight from ACM, nor STT, to SIL. That's just how it is.

If you REALLY need to go silent right then and there you could Castle forward twice quickly to go into EMission CONtrol mode, which shuts the radar off and anything else sending out radio waves.