Is Virtual Reality with HP Reverb G2 worth it with my spec?

deckard

Hi everyone. The last time I flew in DCS World was in 2015 on the laptop I am typing on now (MSI GT 60 with GTX 780M from 2013) The GPU finally died. LOL

I have ordered a new gaming laptop (Alienware M15 R5 with RTX 3070 (115Watt plus 10Watt = 125 Watt total), 16 DDR  3200 RAM, 1TB Nvme, Ryzen 5800H (45Watt), QHD 240Hz display. The laptop will be delivered in 2-4 weeks, so I can't test it now. I also have LG CX 55 inch OLED and will be using it as a monitor as well. It is nice since this new laptop has HDMI 2.1.

I was looking at HP Reverb G2. I suppose that I won't be able  to run DCS World at full resolution at 90Hz. How is the half resolution? For VR, I only care for DCS World, MS Flight Sim 2020, Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous.

I suppose I should wait until the RTX 4000 series or beyond in the laptop to be able to properly use it for these titles in VR?

How is the state of the multiplayer in DCS World (PVP) in North America? I remember an excellent server - It was called Phoenix something and it only allowed 1st person view , which is awesome.

I think that if I do not use VR in DCS World, I will be at competitive disadvantage for situational awareness. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks a lot for your responses!

I'm happy with it. I also run it on 3070 (in a desktop tho') in full res. at 90Hz, no AA in game. Smooth enough even on Syrian map but... I've only been playing SP so far. FPS... eh, it's hanging in there but no stuttering and no crashes whatsoever.  I can make a bet if I played online the results would probably be mixed.

As far as SA goes, there is TIR and other gadgets that can give you equal or better SA. For me it's 3D that makes a world of difference and once I get my my hands on some decent interface and I can use my fingers to push in-cockpit buttons and flip switches... I'm all set:biggrin:

Maybe just check, if the new Laptop got USB-C connection. The G2 is natively connected to USB-C, but there is also an adaptater from HP coming with the headset. I´m just not sure, if it is a HDMI or display Port adapter. In anyway there should be good adapter e.g. from Microsoft available to connect from USB-C ( HP Reverb ) to HDMI 2.1. If you need to buy an adapter separately, make sure it is recommended for HDMI 2.1 as there are differences within the adapters on the market.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

Ah yeah, you´re right Eugel, just had a look and it´s connected to USB-C and DisplayPort... anyway something to figure out for deckard.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

Definitely with Eugel on the display port.  Hopefully what you ordered has the DP connector, which I'm sure it will.  The only thing I see that might hold you back is the 16GB of RAM.  That's easy enough to fix though.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Thank you for all of your responses. The M15R5 has only 1 USB C with Display Port 1.4 (via adapter) in the same port. This single USB-C port has  a max bandwidth of 10Gbps. There is no Thunderbolt since this is a Ryzen laptop. The Intel version M15R4 has 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 and it also states that it also has Display Port 1.4. How can those ports be the same? I could not find info on line. In my case - I can plug in the VR headset into the wall for power. However, does my Display Port 1.4 (from USB C) have a max bandwidth of 10Gbps? I don't get it. If it's true, It would not be Display Port 1.4. What am I missing? The M15R5 has HDMI 2.1 OUT (from Nvidia GPU) , so it does not help me with the VR Headset (It will help me to connect the laptop to my LG CX 55 though 🙂 ). I know that my USB-C (DIsplay Port 1.4 ) is directly connected to the GPU.