DCS MiG-23 development update

• 3 months later...

Great news. I watch the progress since beginning and i cannot wait when it will be out. I can recommend the following interview with real Czechoslovak MIG-23 pilot with subtitles, there you may find very useful information. Fingers crossed.

• Like 9

On 10/8/2021 at 5:03 PM, 2406 said:

Great news. I watch the progress since beginning and i cannot wait when it will be out. I can recommend the following interview with real Czechoslovak MIG-23 pilot with subtitles, there you may find very useful information. Fingers crossed.

I can only recommend this interview I saw it earlier and amount of details in it fascinated me.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2021 at 3:59 AM, OverStratos said:

It has been some time since the last update posted about the MiG-23, so I decided to do some briefing to keep you updated on development and aware of a few things as well. The MiG-23 serious art development started at the end of 2019 (allowed by less art work needed in the MiG-19 by that date), which is the first step in the development of a DCS module, since coders need a more or less finished art asset to start their work. Work was going good as usual and the objective was to have a mostly finished art assets at the end of 2020.

In the final months of 2020 and the first of 2021 I had to stop development because of a happy event, the arrival and birth of my first child.

Since February of this year I have been back crunching on the MiG-23 artwork and a lot of progress has been made in the last months, including the completely remake of the aircraft cockpit thanks to the procurement of an accurate photogrammetry model, which allows for an almost exact copy of the real life one. the external model is almost finished and all the main parts of the internal cockpit have been made already.

As the project manager and main artist of Razbam MiG projects, there´s a lot of work I need to do for a module, which not only includes artwork, but collect all required aircraft data, contact real pilots and provide coders with good know-hows on systems and aircraft performance, so I´ll kindly ask for your patience if possible.

The plan we have is have this aircraft ready for internal alpha testing this year. I´ll provide you now with a few art development screenshots of the corrected models of cockpit and aircraft thanks to the magic of photogrammetry.

a23_wip1.jpg

a23_wip2.jpg

a23_wip4.jpg

a23_wip3.jpg

a23_wip5.png

I'm the admin of MigSukhoiRedforPilot group's admin at facebook and with over 500 members we are all waiting for Mig-23...I hope it finishes someday...:)

Best Regards.

• Like 3

Mig23 and the Mirage F1 is guaranteed buy for me. Hopefully we will able to fly the Mig23 in 2022, cannot wait. We really need more Soviet aircrafts high fidelity, my wet dream is Mig31 (OMG if only.. even a Mig25 would be so awesome) and Mig29 high fidelity but i'll settle for a Mig23 on the short term , best of luck in your work 🙂

Edited by Fynek
  • Like 4

10 часов назад, Fynek сказал:

Mig23 and the Mirage F1 is guaranteed buy for me. Hopefully we will able to fly the Mig23 in 2022, cannot wait. We really need more Soviet aircrafts high fidelity, my wet dream is Mig31 (OMG if only.. even a Mig25 would be so awesome) and Mig29 high fidelity but i'll settle for a Mig23 on the short term , best of luck in your work 🙂

Mi-31 is still in service, so no luck in the foreseeable future, but MiG-25 can probably be arranged seeing how ED is testing waters about the much more modern MiG-29. Here's hoping!

• Like 3

MiG-25PD  seems likely if MiG-29A is green-lit by Russian mod. Its out of service, radar is compromised and not in service and kinematically MiG 31 is different enough no Opsec issues for Russian mod. Lets hope a Mig-25 PD becomes a reality; I think ED will be surprised how well Cold War Warbirds (well that what I'm calling them) will sell with a DCS demographic that really knows its Cold War aviation and wants to re-enact Cold War scenarios given that unlike modern jets almost everything is known about them so its really high-fidelity realistic simulation rather than the I'm guessing  the 10% guesswork still required for modern types given opsec concerns. The Falklands map sales will likely  show Ed that historical theaters  and jets is the future for DCS.

Edited by zone 5
  • Like 7

16 минут назад, zone 5 сказал:

MiG-25PD  seems likely if MiG-29A is green-lit by Russian mod. Its out of service, radar is compromised and not in service and kinematically MiG 31 is different enough no Opsec issues for Russian mod. Lets hope a Mig-25 PD becomes a reality; I think ED will be surprised how well Cold War Warbirds (well that what I'm calling them) will sell with a DCS demographic that really knows its Cold War aviation and wants to re-enact Cold War scenarios given that unlike modern jets almost everything is known about them so its really high-fidelity realistic simulation rather than the I'm guessing  the 10% guesswork still required for modern types given opsec concerns. The Falklands map sales will likely  show Ed that historical theaters  and jets is the future for DCS.

Make it MiG-25PDSL then, R-60 missiles, Beryoza RWR system and Gardenia jammer pods that we already have in our Su-25T.

• Like 3

I'll also will be glad to have any of the RedFor FF modules. But as for me, I do not see authentic gameplay for Mig-25 in DCS. It is a pure interceptor as it is. It's job is to fly high and fast to intercept enemies bombers formations where is the lack of the SAM sites. I'm afraid maps in DCS are too small for this beast. I'll be glad to be wrong(I guess it will be F-14 on steroids). And yes, I will buy it immediately since it is available 

Edited by iyhan_spb
typo
  • Like 3

i7 13700K,  DDR5 32Gb, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC, Pico 4 VR

Some info from the Unofficial RoadMap Thread  which I haven't seen or noticed here in this development update thread (or I may need very good glasses/ new eyes).

On 10/19/2021 at 1:19 PM, ChuckJäger said:

image.png
From Razbam's Twitter Mig-23 Damage model WIP

https://twitter.com/RAZBAM/status/1450323815624585221?s=20

On 11/8/2021 at 11:53 AM, Antartis said:

t. also interested in the flogger

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 11/5/2021 at 11:14 AM, iyhan_spb said:

I'll also will be glad to have any of the RedFor FF modules. But as for me, I do not see authentic gameplay for Mig-25 in DCS. It is a pure interceptor as it is. It's job is to fly high and fast to intercept enemies bombers formations where is the lack of the SAM sites. I'm afraid maps in DCS are too small for this beast. I'll be glad to be wrong(I guess it will be F-14 on steroids). And yes, I will buy it immediately since it is available 

PD was more than that:

On 8/6/2021 at 10:10 PM, kseremak said:

What you have described is classic early '70s MiG-25P with massive 1100 lb I-band Smerch pulse radar, very hard to jam and resistant to nuclear EMP, but with limited capabilities outside the simple high altitude interception, name it one trick pony. But Soviet doctrine evolved in the early '80s. 

MiG-25PD in early '80s received Saphir-25 pulse-doppler radar capable of shooting down lower flying targets, SPO-15 Beryoza RWR, KDS-155 flare/chaff dispensers, IRST sensor. Some MiG-25PD units trained an air combat, It received short range highly maneuverable R-60M missiles for close engagements. It was never a dogfighter like an Eagle, but it had more tricks in the sleeve than '70s MiG-25P.

US F-15 pilot said, in specific circumstances they met during Gulf War, Foxbat turned out to be a tougher opponent for them then Fulcrum, typical tactical dogfighter. Two MiG-25s put up quite a fight against two F-15C, dodging few missiles, confusing their radars. Other day MiG-25 managed to shoot down US Navy Hornet and was in a position to attack the next, but it has been called off by the Iraqi GCI not to attack other Iraqi aircraft operating in the area by accident. After shooting down the Hornet the MiG-25 managed to fly away safely and land on Iraqi airfield. Another day Iraqi MiG-25 managed to attack and probably damage Saudi Arab F-15C. And it's good to remember Iraqi air force were practically blind and at severe disadvantage in every possible aspect, from big numerical NATO advantage, through intel, training and so on, F-15C was the best fighter aircraft in the world at that time. MiG-25PD also shoot down few Iranian tactical fighters during '80s Iraq-Iran war.

MiG-25PD was a good aircraft when pilots were able to use its specific advantages. MiG-25PD cruising above Ma2 at 60,000ft, with PD radar and huge R-40 missiles locked on was the last situation an enemy pilot wanted to encounter. MiG-25PD wasn't to be easily defeated energetically by flying faster, higher and boosting the longer range missiles more and this was one of the the basic F-15C Cold War tactics against most Soviet aircrafts, using pure kinematic advantage of the aircraft/missile set. F-15C has the tools to defeat MiG-25PD but it had to be a bit creative, trying to break the lock by maneuvering or using superior ECM, create chaotic situation to use an advantage of NCTR, fly in a tight formation braking it after launch warning to use RAID mode processing power, trying to lure the MiG lower into denser atmosphere or make him slow down and bleed the energy in a turn and so on. But not a simple go Ma2 at 50,000 firing Sparrow and exert the dominance.

Evan for the extremely well trained and strictly selected F-15C pilots air superiority community in the '80s a fight against mixed formation of high/fast/big missile MiG-25PD and agile MiG-29A wouldn't be a comfortable situation because F-15 could outmaneuver the MiG-25 and outshoot the MiG-29 but it couldn't do both things easily at once. Add Sidewinder armed super nimble F-16A to the equation and it's really exciting combat.

Edited by bies
  • Like 3

On 11/5/2021 at 9:58 PM, KomandorAdam said:

OverStratos 5 months have passed since the last MiG-23 development update, could you update the development status of the MiG-23 as of today? I admit that I am waiting more for the MiG-23 than for the F-15E!

Also OverStratos: "I never said which one will come first, and yes the F-15E art is way further along that the 23 one"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Pilot Ike said:

Can we have an "End of 2021 progress update" on the MiG-23? What's the current status?

+1

• Like 1

forum.png

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, it seems F-15E is getting the priority at Razbam now. It makes sense since it will sell like hotcakes..

I've loved the F-15E since the Microprose days, though personally, I'm kind of rooting for the MiG-23MLA even more in some ways. My take on it is that somebody else would have done the F-15E sooner or later, but a MiG-23 has much lesser prospects of coming to fruition (which would be a shame given how it was a mainstay of USSR Frontal Aviation for quite some time).

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 9

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

M2000 and Harrier are not prime time brides with respect to the sales.

They carry a lot of bad baggage and still need some love from developers before leaving EA stage.

Razbam needs some serious cash to proceed with Flogger completion and enhance the team.

F-15E will enable that to happen as it attract significant noise for some time.