SRS for I-16?

Doc3908

On 6/4/2021 at 2:13 PM, Dragon1-1 said:

The I-16 had no radio IRL. The pilots communicated with hand signals, signal flares (fired from a flare gun) and wagging their wings. Admittedly, this isn't all that practical in DCS.

Yes, for the most part, the real I-16 did not use a radio (so I was surprised to see the non-functional radio box in the latest DCS version). That said, after some extensive digging around, I found a way to use SRS with the I-16. Turns out, the instructions on how to set up any radio (similar to the FC3 modules) were in the SRS help menu. All you need to do is look up the name of the radio from the spreadsheet on the SRS site, create a plain text file named with that radio name, and add the comm frequencies. Then save the file to the "Simple Radio" folder in your SRS folder. For those who care, I'm attaching my file. 

Best,

Doc

SCR522.txt

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Doc3908 said:

Yes, for the most part, the real I-16 did not use a radio (so I was surprised to see the non-functional radio box in the latest DCS version). That said, after some extensive digging around, I found a way to use SRS with the I-16. Turns out, the instructions on how to set up any radio (similar to the FC3 modules) were in the SRS help menu. All you need to do is look up the name of the radio from the spreadsheet on the SRS site, create a plain text file named with that radio name, and add the comm frequencies. Then save the file to the "Simple Radio" folder in your SRS folder. For those who care, I'm attaching my file. 

Best,

Doc

HOOOOO.

Great add. Thanks..

Saca111

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I've been flying the I-16 on the Clash of Wings server and, other than one time when I was able to talk to someone on SRS, I have not been able to contact anyone. I have 100, 123, 124, and 150 in the SCR522 file (123 and 124 are Spitfire frequencies), but nobody talks back to me. Very frustrating! Is there any way to get a working radio that can be used with SRS in one of the next few updates? I know it's not realistic, but I'm sick of noobs trying to shoot me down simply because they don't recognize the I-16 and I can't talk to them and warn them. Yesterday I flew round and round with a Mustang who was trying to get behind me (like anyone can outturn an I-16). Eventually it dawned on him that if I'm in a firing position behind him and I don't fire, then I must be a friendly... Today I saved some idiot's butt in a Spitfire: He was chasing a Dora and didn't notice the Dora's wingman behind him. I took out the wingman, and the Spitfire eventually finished the lead Dora. Then I turn to face a pair of incoming Bf-109s and all of a sudden there are tracers behind me that nicked my wing. I snapped around just in time to see the idiot in the Spitfire go into the water trying to match my turn. So... please, please, please, get us a working radio, PLEASE!!!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just a quick note. Today, I was flying the I-16 on the Clash of Wings server and another guy joined in an I-16. And, YES, we managed to talk over SRS!!!! Yippee!!!! It works! And makes all kinds of difference. Now if I could just see more people use the I-16 (most are flying Mustangs and Spits)...