A10 knobs 3D printed

lesthegrngo

Hi all, I've designed and made some 3D printed knobs to go with my A10 cockpit, they are sized to suit my panels and fit on 18 splined potentiometers, rotary encoders and switches. Happy to share the .sldprt or .stl files if anyone is interested

Les

20210601_072937.jpg

20210601_073018.jpg

20210601_073047.jpg

Edited by lesthegrngo
Add pictures
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Great Les, all I was longing for!

I'd be glad, if you share the .stl's!

Would it be possible to create the big "defog" knob, also?

Did you use simple PLA? Can you also share the settings (nozzle heat, flow, speed,...? 

They look so smooth! If I try to print, I always have stringy contours on the surface.

Edited by sharkfin61

sharkfin out!

Support your local AirTransportWing !

NEW RIG:

RYZEN 7  5800X3D~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ AORUS X570S Elite AX ~64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR-4 3600 ~ BeQuiet AIO Silent loop 2 360  watercooled ~ Samsung 890 Pro M.2 (2TB) + 870 EVO (1TB) SSD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ AOC 31.5" Gaming 144Hz Display ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel via DCSBios ~ ARC-210 (soldering WIP)

Sure - remembering that I have sized mine for my rig mine is smaller than the real one, but if you let me know the diameter of the disc part I can change my file to suit

These are printed with a resin printer, in this case an AnyCubic Photon Mono X

Les 

20210602_055757.jpg

Edited by lesthegrngo

Ah, resin, I think that makes the difference.

For the diameter,  think 42 mm (1.65 inch) would be fine, I think. 

sharkfin out!

NEW RIG:

RYZEN 7  5800X3D~ AORUS GTX 1080Ti ~ AORUS X570S Elite AX ~64 GB Corsair Venegance DDR-4 3600 ~ BeQuiet AIO Silent loop 2 360  watercooled ~ Samsung 890 Pro M.2 (2TB) + 870 EVO (1TB) SSD ~ WIN 10 64-bit ~ AOC 31.5" Gaming 144Hz Display ~ DelanClip@TrackIR 5 ~ TM Warthog no.2 ~Saitek rudder pedals~ 2 TM MFDs on 2nd 27"display ~ Buddyfox A-10 UFC ~ CDU/AAP panel via DCSBios ~ ARC-210 (soldering WIP)

@lesthegrngo These are absolutely fantastic!  Would you be willing to share all the .stl files?  I'd love to use them in a series of generic button boxes that I'm starting to create.  I'm still designing the panels so I'm flexible on sizing and can just roll with what you made.

Fantastic work!

Hangar: A-7 | A-10C | AV-8B | F-14B | F-15C | F-15E | F-16C | F-18C | KA-50 | Mi-8 | SA342 | UH-1H

I've no problem at all sharing them, in fact I was sharing them with sharkfin61 and realised that I have to find a better way than e-mail. I am going to look at grabcad as a way of having them on line

One thing I am aware of is that if I provide them in .stl form, while you are able to resize them to suit what you want, it would also resize the spline feature for the attachment to the potentiometer or whatever; as a result I will try to also put up the solidworks files for people to be able to modify individual features, however anyone who can't access solidworks will still struggle. In those cases you can get back to me and I can make a modified file to your dimensions, it would only take a few minutes for each.

Let me look at the grabcad thing and get back here with a link

Les

Edited by lesthegrngo

I am asked to create/  sign up for an account.

sharkfin out!

NEW RIG:

Wilco.

Meanwhile.... trying to improve my fusion360 abilities:

FH.JPG

sharkfin out!

NEW RIG:

I did register, however, I was not granted access to your linked workbench.

That's not laser scanner, it's my 3D printer with a self created fire pullhandle just right after finishing the 2 1/2 hrs print..

notgrted.JPG

Edited by sharkfin61

sharkfin out!

NEW RIG:

Yes, LED ligt is a nice gadget, shows me in what state is the printer when heating up (changes colours accordingly).

Everything is working now with grabcd, even when I'm not logged in.

Thank you for all the effort.

sharkfin out!

NEW RIG:

• 1 year later...

All, I have an updated set of files for the different knobs and switches, including some that were not there before. They are available both as .stl and .sldprt files, and with the latter many have the ability to scale the knob without affecting either the splined or in a couple of cases D shaft fitting

I'll upload to Grabcad and post the link here when done

Les

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

All, here are the rehashed files, hope they help someone!

I added the following text to the page where the models can be downloaded so hopefully you can make these suit more easily

"Re-done A10C knobs for DCS world based cockpits, some are .sldprt models that can be scaled without affecting the splined or D shaft attachment, the others .stl files. I have tried to provide different sizes on some to help compatibility

These also differ from the previous ones in that the geometry of the shaft fitting feature has been changed to make it easier to get them to suit as there is a shorter spline with a relief behind to allow you to fettle the feature more easily.

if you find they are too slack on the splined shaft, I found that putting a little UV cure resin into the spline with a brush, part curing with sunlight or a UV torch and then pushing the spline into position allows a snug fit. You can then cure the resin fully in the spline.

If they are too tight, I used a splined multi position switch with a metal splined shaft as a broaching tool. All you do is file the end of the shaft so the spline edges are sharp, and you can use it as a simple cutting tool by pushing it into the splined hole until it cuts the resin sufficiently to give a good fit"

https://grabcad.com/library/a10c-knobs-for-dcs-world-based-cockpits-1

Les

Edited by lesthegrngo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi again all

I have a load of 3D files I used to create bits of my rig, and have uploaded them onto GrabCad as it seems a bit of a waste not to. While they were designed specifically for my own rig and are entirely my own designs to fit the other parts I made, I have tried to make them look right. They may be of use to anyone looking to make their own parts, at least as a starting point

https://grabcad.com/library/miscellaneous-3d-files-for-a10c-cockpit-parts-for-dcs-world-1

I do have the editable solidworks files for them too in case anyone wants them, let me know

I have more bits and pieces that I will add to the site as I find them

Cheers

Les

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just found this thread, and just wanted to say an enormous THANK YOU!  I hand-modeled all the knobs for my Hornet pit.  It was fun and I learned F360 in the process, but I was not looking forward to doing it again now that I'm at that point with my 'Hog pit.  Really appreciate the work and especially your sharing!

CF

• Like 1

ColdFront_WI

Home-built Hornet pit, detailed plans available on GitHub

Virpil WarBRD base, TM Hornet/Warthog grip, TM Warthog Throttle, Logitech G Pro rudder pedals

MSI MPG Z390M, i9-9900k @ 5.0GHz with Noctua NH-D15, RTX 2080ti FE, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, HP Reverb

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]