Autopilot disengage trigger

krumms0r

After getting a VKB Modern Combat Grip, which is heavily based on that of the SU-57 and SU-35 (and similar to the SU-27S), I was very intrigued to see that the two-stage trigger is labelled 'AP DISENGAGE'. 

O2KDWyB.jpgSeems that this trigger will disengage the autopilot (duh), while the flip down trigger is used for weapons. 

Does this mean that the doctrine is to fly most of the time in attitude or altitude hold, and to hold the trigger down to manoeuvre? This would obviate the need for constant trimming that people seem to complain about.

I gave it a go and found it pretty unintuitive at first, may have another crack at it in future.

I guess you aren't supposed to use it in BFM, just when flying a course and maybe in parts of BVR?  

I believe the other two AP controls on the stick are "Autopilot Reset/Off" and "Return to Level Flight" - a lot like the MiG21.
stick.jpg

15 hours ago, krumms0r said:

After getting a VKB Modern Combat Grip, which is heavily based on that of the SU-57 and SU-35 (and similar to the SU-27S), I was very intrigued to see that the two-stage trigger is labelled 'AP DISENGAGE'...

Assuming we’re talking about the same thing, the two-stage trigger in the Su-27 only concerns the cannon: the first stage selects priority aiming mode and the second stage fires the cannon.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

48 minutes ago, Ironhand said:

Assuming we’re talking about the same thing, the two-stage trigger in the Su-27 only concerns the cannon: the first stage selects priority aiming mode and the second stage fires the cannon.

As far as I am aware, the real SU-27 grip has two flip down triggers, for cannons and missiles, but the red trigger is apparently AP disengage?

Note I think the annotation here is slightly incorrect - the trigger should be labelled as AP disengage or AP override

Su27_stick_left_backside_view.jpg

Edited by krumms0r