Canopy jettison rocket motors with real lables please

JetCat

Hi pilots,

I found a little interesting detail about the canopy glass - while the F-18 canopy is open, there are two rocket motors for the canopy jettison visible.

I am still reworking the cockpit textures to make the perfect cockpit, and currently trying to recreate a texture for these two canopy rockets to make them as real as possible.

But unfortunately the textures for these two white rockets are mirrored which means while one of the jettison devices will have real fully readable labels, on the other device the same text is mirrored.

That`s why I was only to able to create a new texture with writings in unreadable small gibberish with a way too small font size to prevent noticing the mirrored letters.

But for absolute immersion and study-level cockpits one should be able to read the labels on the jettison devices and it breaks the immersion when on one of these rockets the text is mirrored and looking like a graphics bug.

Please fix this little bug and give both these two canopy jettison rocket motors their realistic prints and labels to make the cockpit as real as possible, as true to the core as possible when doing one of the next F/A-18 updates 🙂

And thank you very much for this awesome plane! I enjoy to fly it almost every day.

Canopy Jettison 1.jpg

unnamred.jpg

Screenshot_1439.png

Screenshot_1440.png

Screenshot_1441.png

DCS 01.06.2021 10_23_12.jpg

DCS 01.06.2021 10_22_52.jpg

canopy-f-hornet-fighter-jet-aircraft-siauliai-lithuania-july-air-show-falcon-wings-base-165209580.jpg

Edited by JetCat
Another jettison motor picture :)
  • Like 2

‘That’ is actually put on those cans???

You would hope that the pilot doesn’t have OCD, if he starts to read it at the wrong moment - he’s going to have to finish before . . . 💥

• Like 1

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

I would never have believed it if I hadn’t seen it . . . 

I wonder how long before the shoot cue gets replaced with something like this coming through the headset . . . 

98979891-9799-4087-8EA1-C8C777A24256.jpeg

• Like 2

Alien desktop PC, Intel i7-8700 CPU@3.20GHz 6 Core, Nvidia GTX 1070, 16GB RAM. TM Warthog stick and Throttles. Saitek ProFlight pedals.

This bible verse is cool but it would fit better on the seat eject grip - these canopy jettison rockets do not mean all hope is lost because some pilots just enjoy open touring with convertible roof and therefore get rid of the canopy glass in the desert heat.....

The shoot cue verse is an interesting idea too, but it should be:

Even though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your Sidewinder and your Vulcan20mm, they comfort me......

I somehow fixed the jettison device textures (even if it`s impossible to put actual text there because the canopy jettison rockets share mirrored textures and the text therefore would be mirrored and a graphics glitch on one side).

I could put your bible verse on these jettison rockets, later I give it a try and post the results as screenshots.

And there is another detail in the cockpit missing which is actual present in a real F-18 cockpit; I have noticed it in some YouTube videos and Bummer created this detail for us in his awesome Hornet pit V1.54 from which I took some textures as template to recreate my own as true-to-the-core as possible cockpit 😉

These jets are absolute awesome, expensive, and great to fly, and therefore deserve absolute 100% authentic perfection from all angles.

1.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 04.06.2021 19_34_55.png

2.jpg

Edited by JetCat
more details
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2021 at 7:29 PM, JetCat said:

Hi G.J.S.,

this is how your bible verse would look like as texture on the jettison device. Unfortunately on one side the text would be mirrored and therefore not readable.

Verse 1.jpg

Verse 2.jpg

Verse 3.jpg

Ha ha! Love it! 
I wish I could take credit for the words in the verse, but that falls to Quentin Tarantino - “Pulp Fiction”, Jules, just before he blows someone away.

Edited by G.J.S

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you guys are saying here... the mirroring is not a bug, that's how textures work. Mirror the opposite side in your texture so it comes out properly on the jet.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you guys are saying here... the mirroring is not a bug, that's how textures work. Mirror the opposite side in your texture so it comes out properly on the jet.
The texture file only has one side and the file is mirrored on the 3D model. ED themselves would need to change this.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Not necessarily lazy, I think. The base texture pack for the F18 is already around 240MB uncompressed. Small tricks like mirroring some texture portions, among other things, all combined together can usually bring some noticeable performance gains.

8 hours ago, BamJr said:

Not necessarily lazy, I think. The base texture pack for the F18 is already around 240MB uncompressed. Small tricks like mirroring some texture portions, among other things, all combined together can usually bring some noticeable performance gains.

It looks so bad without the material.

Also the size doesn't change with this.

@BIGNEWYany news?

Thanks.

Edited by Alpiinoo

alpiinoo_signature.png.92e62da0731ec62ed4f4cd1e7f958385-removebg-preview.png

• 3 weeks later...

I upload the texture file if someone wants to use it. It is as real as it gets based on the few F-18 cockpit canopy detail pictures I could find on Google.

The file goes into:

E:\Games\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Liveries\Cockpit_F-18C \ inside the folder of the cockpit repaint you currently using

Don`t forget to backup the original "f18c_cpt-tex10.dds" DDS file in case you want to restore the original.

Feel free to compress the file if you have a slower computer, I use only ultra high end 4k texture files for my repaints to maximize visual quality and details:

https://www.file-upload.net/download-14633364/f18c_cpt-tex10.dds.html

Have a good flight 😉

Digital Combat Simulator 10.07.2021 22_23_42.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 10.07.2021 22_24_22.jpg

Digital Combat Simulator 10.07.2021 22_24_34.jpg

Edited by JetCat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4