JDAM guidance?

On 6/18/2021 at 9:36 AM, Yurgon said:

Pretty sure it is, yes. With a solid track (regardless of POINT or AREA) and a good parallax offset, lasing should immediately update both the slant range and the coordinates as displayed in the TGP. Creating markpoints out of these (with and without lasing) should also reflect the difference in coordinates. I'm almost certain I tested this a few years back just to be on the safe side.

BTW and slightly off topic, there's a common pitfall and misunderstanding by inexperienced A-10 pilots that lasing a target once will update the target's coordinates. However, that is only true as long as the laser if firing. As soon as the laser goes off, the ranging goes back to TGP LOS intersecting the ground (as given by the digital terrain elevation database) and will immediately ignore any object between the TGP and the ground. Long story short, lasing makes sense when markpoints are created from the TGP, and when weapons are dropped in CCRP with the TGP as SPI Generator just as the pickle button is pressed and the IFFCC calculates the release parameters and feeds them to the weapon (in case of IAMs).

Deleted to not break rules.

Edited by Snoopy
  • Like 1

I do notice if you ask JDAM to do something it will try to do it even if it means the bomb comes up short and misses the target entirely. The programming to guide a bomb to a target with de-prioritized terminal preferences I appreciate is a hard thing to do. Right now it's not really doing it in as many cases as we would like.

Does A-10 have LAR display that reflects in range and in range plus terminal parameters? I don't really understand the DLZ display currently. There's a sort of fully enclosed bracket at the top and then a bracket below that. I don't see the DLZ change when shifting profiles with different terminal parameters so it seems like the displayed bracket isn't taking those into account.

• Like 1