DCS: G-91R

6S.Duke

My humble opinion is that having to research additional models just to please a few people, is a waste of development time. I'd prefer if the developer focus on those versions that they have already researched, so that we may have the aircraft available sooner.
Curiosity is never a waste of time :)
  • Like 12

Older photos / examples (late 60s thru early 80s) of Portuguese G-91R4s have a wire aerial from the back of the cockpit to 2/3 of the way up the vertical stabilizer. See preserved example below.  (Photo credits to Carlos de Oliveira and Paulo Antunes)

I haven't noticed this aerial on Italian R1s and German R3s, nor have I seen it on any preserved German R4s.  Perhaps it's a small thing, but that suggests that at least the radio is different on the Portuguese R4s.

On another note, can anyone identify that 4-tube rocket launcher on the outboard pylons?  There are plenty of Angolan theater photos that show it, but I have no idea about manufacturer, diameter, etc.

G-91R4 F4-0142 Carlos de Oliveira.jpg

G-91R4 F4-0142 Paulo Antunes.jpg

• Like 4

20 ore fa, Tengu ha scritto:

Older photos / examples (late 60s thru early 80s) of Portuguese G-91R4s have a wire aerial from the back of the cockpit to 2/3 of the way up the vertical stabilizer. See preserved example below.  (Photo credits to Carlos de Oliveira and Paulo Antunes)

I haven't noticed this aerial on Italian R1s and German R3s, nor have I seen it on any preserved German R4s.  Perhaps it's a small thing, but that suggests that at least the radio is different on the Portuguese R4s.

On another note, can anyone identify that 4-tube rocket launcher on the outboard pylons?  There are plenty of Angolan theater photos that show it, but I have no idea about manufacturer, diameter, etc.

The 4-tube is a custom launcher for FFAR 2.75" (70mm) rockets (Mk4 or a licensed version)

001318025.jpg

Below an inert/dummy FFAR being loaded in a launcher.

1024px-thumbnail.jpg

This was commonly used by GAF with F-104 or G-91, mainly fired from LAU-32GA launchers (7 tube similar to the one in the photo standing on the ground).

image-fotoshowBigWide-3f271d1a-1224991.j

The same launcher was then passed to Portugal

G.91R3%252C%2Barmado%2Bcom%2Blan%25C3%25

Note: any photo linked here is property of their respective owners

4 ore fa, mayo25 ha scritto:

I think the aerial is for HF radio and the rockets should be SNEB ones.

As far as I know, Germans never owned Matra SNEB rockets: even the AlphaJet A that replaced the G-91 was still using the LAU-51 70mm when they selled all the weapon system to Portugal.
French and British apart, SNEB rockets were quite uncommon in Europe: 70 mm Mk4 and then Mk66 (Hydra) was preferred.
Note that some references wrongly identify the LAU-51GA with Matra 116, but this launcher is 19-tube for 70mm rockets not 68mm SNEB...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Volandia! That museum is awesome, I was just in Malpensa last weekend but I didn't have time for a detour this time. Seeing the G-91 and Vampire sitting next to the F-84F there is always amusing, the Thunderstreak is immense by comparison.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Gianky said:

A video on the G-91 that's being restored to flying condition to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Aeronautica Militare

https://www.facebook.com/warbirddigest/videos/fiat-g-91-engine-test/711159576566976/

Pretty cool

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, Torbernite said:

Anyone know whether G.91R would have similar bombing equipment as F-86F or simple manual depress sight like the trainers now we have?

I'm gonna guess more like the trainers we have. But honestly IDK. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
3 ore fa, Saguanay ha scritto:

Mod by VSN.    Has a cockpit with it but uses the FC A10 for avionics.   Should be good for the start of the tactics for when the full version comes out.

Not sure, the pic show a Yankee, not a R as will be India Fox module