DCS: G-91R

6S.Duke

My humble opinion is that having to research additional models just to please a few people, is a waste of development time. I'd prefer if the developer focus on those versions that they have already researched, so that we may have the aircraft available sooner.
Curiosity is never a waste of time :)
  • Like 12

Older photos / examples (late 60s thru early 80s) of Portuguese G-91R4s have a wire aerial from the back of the cockpit to 2/3 of the way up the vertical stabilizer. See preserved example below.  (Photo credits to Carlos de Oliveira and Paulo Antunes)

I haven't noticed this aerial on Italian R1s and German R3s, nor have I seen it on any preserved German R4s.  Perhaps it's a small thing, but that suggests that at least the radio is different on the Portuguese R4s.

On another note, can anyone identify that 4-tube rocket launcher on the outboard pylons?  There are plenty of Angolan theater photos that show it, but I have no idea about manufacturer, diameter, etc.

G-91R4 F4-0142 Carlos de Oliveira.jpg

G-91R4 F4-0142 Paulo Antunes.jpg

• Like 4

20 ore fa, Tengu ha scritto:

Older photos / examples (late 60s thru early 80s) of Portuguese G-91R4s have a wire aerial from the back of the cockpit to 2/3 of the way up the vertical stabilizer. See preserved example below.  (Photo credits to Carlos de Oliveira and Paulo Antunes)

I haven't noticed this aerial on Italian R1s and German R3s, nor have I seen it on any preserved German R4s.  Perhaps it's a small thing, but that suggests that at least the radio is different on the Portuguese R4s.

On another note, can anyone identify that 4-tube rocket launcher on the outboard pylons?  There are plenty of Angolan theater photos that show it, but I have no idea about manufacturer, diameter, etc.

The 4-tube is a custom launcher for FFAR 2.75" (70mm) rockets (Mk4 or a licensed version)

001318025.jpg

Below an inert/dummy FFAR being loaded in a launcher.

1024px-thumbnail.jpg

This was commonly used by GAF with F-104 or G-91, mainly fired from LAU-32GA launchers (7 tube similar to the one in the photo standing on the ground).

image-fotoshowBigWide-3f271d1a-1224991.j

The same launcher was then passed to Portugal

G.91R3%252C%2Barmado%2Bcom%2Blan%25C3%25

Note: any photo linked here is property of their respective owners

4 ore fa, mayo25 ha scritto:

I think the aerial is for HF radio and the rockets should be SNEB ones.

As far as I know, Germans never owned Matra SNEB rockets: even the AlphaJet A that replaced the G-91 was still using the LAU-51 70mm when they selled all the weapon system to Portugal.
French and British apart, SNEB rockets were quite uncommon in Europe: 70 mm Mk4 and then Mk66 (Hydra) was preferred.
Note that some references wrongly identify the LAU-51GA with Matra 116, but this launcher is 19-tube for 70mm rockets not 68mm SNEB...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Volandia! That museum is awesome, I was just in Malpensa last weekend but I didn't have time for a detour this time. Seeing the G-91 and Vampire sitting next to the F-84F there is always amusing, the Thunderstreak is immense by comparison.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Gianky said:

A video on the G-91 that's being restored to flying condition to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Aeronautica Militare

https://www.facebook.com/warbirddigest/videos/fiat-g-91-engine-test/711159576566976/

Pretty cool

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
2 minutes ago, Torbernite said:

Anyone know whether G.91R would have similar bombing equipment as F-86F or simple manual depress sight like the trainers now we have?

I'm gonna guess more like the trainers we have. But honestly IDK. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...