Remove Terrains to free up SSD space??

Have a space issue with a full SSD; need to replace or add another.

The 446GB drive is C:\ and it's hitting it's limits. Before I replace I would like to remove-move or whatever some of the Terrains. Just d/l'd Syria at it's whopping 55GB so I was thinking about removing Normandy & Persian Gulf temporarily to free up some space.

Can I simply delete those subdirs from C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\terrains OR move them to another drive? I am NOT suggesting to move them and still expect those terrains to be accessible.

Could it possibly be that simple?

In related matter, would it be a benefit to load EVERYTHING that is DCS on a separate SSD 500GB and get it off the C:\ ????

Appreciate the help....I just want to fly & blow shit up

Edited by AvgWhiteGuy
clarity

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

Yes you should just be able to move the folders.

I would definitely place on a different SSD to your operating system. I now used a 1TB SSD (trying to slightly future-proof)

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Hornblower....thanks for the Rapid Response Team answer...

I'll do the MOVE first and plan for a brand new SSD. When that task arrives is it best to just DELETE all DCS and do a fresh install on new drive. I can't imagine moving the whole thing would work out too welll.

Thanks again,

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

Just invest a couple of minutes and around $50 bucks for a cheap 500GB ssd. It is really simple, just cut and paste the DCS folder to the newly formatted hard drive. Update the shortcuts on your desktop.  No need to deleted or uninstall and reinstall.

I highly recommend using The DCS Updater GUI Utility - DCS Mods - ED Forums (eagle.ru) and for Mods use ovgme or similar addon. Always disable Mods before updating. Always!!!

Cheers

LGB

• Like 1

LG...sounds good....this method would not totally shag any registry settings on Win10?

no, because all your personal DCS config files are in the /user/savegame folder. The only thing is u will be unable to start DCS from the Windows start menu if you do not update the shortcuts.

i even put my SaveGames folder on onedrive to have it available all the time on different windows machines and for my dedicated server. All my missions are in one folder and i use symlink to fool windows that the specific folders are hard links.

Edited by LG_Barons
change
  • Like 1

There is a Windows registry setting for DCS but I am not sure what, if anything, the core install uses this for. If you use tools like Vaicom (as I do) the registry paths matter, but Vaicom can be used to correct the registry path.

+1 for Skatezilla's tool

Edited by hornblower793

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

vor 2 Stunden schrieb hornblower793:

There is a Windows registry setting for DCS but I am not sure what, if anything, the core install uses this for. If you use tools like Vaicom (as I do) the registry paths matter, but Vaicom can be used to correct the registry path.

+1 for Skatezilla's tool

yes, Viacom sometimes is the troublemaker. After every update of Voice Attack you need to point it to the DCS Path. Otherwise your COM Menu will show up constantly

yes, Viacom sometimes is the troublemaker. After every update of Voice Attack you need to point it to the DCS Path. Otherwise your COM Menu will show up constantly
OT, but, no, that is not true anymore. If VoiceAttack updates. Not an issues as VAICOM is just a plugin.
Before DCS updates, shutdown VA, update DCS. Start VA, start DCS.
No issues for me for the past 9 months. I cross my fingers for you the future.
Cheers!

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Hmmmmm....update VoiceAttack-Viacom, that's a novel idea. I wondered why my ATC is speaking Northern European-Germanic-Neanderthal🤔