"Spot" Mode Long-press Logic?

wilbur81

The HOTAS 'long-press' function that brings you into "SPOT" mode does not function like the other HOTAS long-presses. Currently, you have to hold the TDC button down for about 2 seconds and release it, which is tedious and too long when in the heat of an engagement. With the FLIR long-press functions, you long press and after 1 second, you get the mode/feature you wanted without having to release the button (much better in my opinion).

Additionally, "SPOT" is only available with the radar when you're in A-A master mode. I'll assume that this is realistic, though a little bit odd.

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 2

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

I have no idea what is accurate to life, but I can agree the current implementation of the SPOT mode is certainly annoying with the ~2 second hold and release. LHACQ is way more intuitive.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

6 hours ago, IkarusC42B Pilot said:

So what is your wish here?

Try reading my post again...

"With the FLIR long-press functions, you long press and after 1 second, you get the mode/feature you wanted without having to release the button (much better in my opinion)

Edited by wilbur81

15 hours ago, MARLAN_ said:

I have no idea what is accurate to life, but I can agree the current implementation of the SPOT mode is certainly annoying with the ~2 second hold and release. LHACQ is way more intuitive.

Did they fix this? Because it used to be the same way.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

39 minutes ago, wilbur81 said:

Try reading my post again...

"With the FLIR long-press functions, you long press and after 1 second, you get the mode/feature you wanted without having to release the button (much better in my opinion)

You dont understand do you?

This Is how its written in the manual. Flir=/= radar. Your opinion is irrelevant.

Edited by IkarusC42B Pilot

2 hours ago, IkarusC42B Pilot said:

You dont understand do you?

This Is how its written in the manual. Flir=/= radar. Your opinion is irrelevant.

Several things written in our Open Beta module manual have been inaccurate/wrong over the past 3 years regarding the Hornet's complex systems, HOTAS behavior, etc... and ED has been gracious enough to take user feedback (like mine) and run it by their Lot 20 SMEs... changing things in the current O.B. to reflect the more realistic behavior in some cases. In other words, the manual is just as Open Beta as the Open Beta systems are in the Open Beta Hornet. I may be right or I may be wrong... but I do know how long-press works in other more well-baked systems like FLIR (and SPOT literally just came out). Hence my post in the "wish list" section and not the "bug" section...  Are you tracking with all that, Catman? I wonder if your opinion that my opinion is irrelevant is relevant?

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, wilbur81 said:

Several things written in our Open Beta module manual have been inaccurate/wrong over the past 3 years regarding the Hornet's complex systems, HOTAS behavior, etc... and ED has been gracious enough to take user feedback (like mine) and run it by their Lot 20 SMEs... changing things in the current O.B. to reflect the more realistic behavior in some cases. In other words, the manual is just as Open Beta as the Open Beta systems are in the Open Beta Hornet. I may be right or I may be wrong... but I do know how long-press works in other more well-baked systems like FLIR (and SPOT literally just came out). Hence my post in the "wish list" section and not the "bug" section...  Are you tracking with all that, Catman? I wonder if your opinion that my opinion is irrelevant is relevant?

NOT THE IN GAME MANUAL! 🤦‍♂️

742-100

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IkarusC42B Pilot said:

NOT THE IN GAME MANUAL! 🤦‍♂️

742-100

Ahhhh... got it. 👍 So, -100 says that Spot mode is not entered until the release of the TDC? It's a strange quirk to me given that FLIR works differently... but if that's how SPOT is in a Lot 20, then that's how it is.

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, wilbur81 said:

Ahhhh... got it. 👍 So, -100 says that Spot mode is not entered until the release of the TDC? It's a strange quirk to me given that FLIR works differently... but if that's how SPOT is in a Lot 20, then that's how it is.

Yes. Just more then a second. The differance between the 2 ofp's described are the modes you can enter them

But once again radar=/= flir...unless you got a 744-100/200 wich not even then it could he used as a refferance because its a spanish variant

28 minutes ago, IkarusC42B Pilot said:

Yes. Just more then a second. The differance between the 2 ofp's described are the modes you can enter them

But once again radar=/= flir...unless you got a 744-100/200 wich not even then it could he used as a refferance because its a spanish variant

I'm not quite following you with what you've said above? I get operational flight program (OFP), but the other comment I'm not following.

"But once again radar=/= flir"

and

"The differance between the 2 ofp's described are the modes you can enter them." 

Which two operational flight programs? I don't own the Radar manual you're citing.

Edited by wilbur81

On 6/3/2021 at 9:28 PM, wilbur81 said:

I'm not quite following you with what you've said above? I get operational flight program (OFP), but the other comment I'm not following.

"But once again radar=/= flir"

and

"The differance between the 2 ofp's described are the modes you can enter them." 

Which two operational flight programs? I don't own the Radar manual you're citing.

The manual describes 2 ofps.

Flir isnt the same thing as the radar specially since its spanish. However you can check your presumption by aquiring the 744-100 or 744-200 ( if you can find it for free......wich if yoy do,im up for trading one of my manuals off forum)

Edited by IkarusC42B Pilot

same behaviour was (is?) with entering LHAQ - that is holding, releasing, and then it switches (instead of holding, switching, then releasing).

and that was accepted by ED as a bug some time ago.

would be rather weird if hornet's hotas utilized two different long-press mechanics, particularly when one is all-around inferior and annoying.

i hope the mistake is on ED's side and not mcdonnell dougles' engineers. 🙂

Edited by dorianR666

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

GPU: AMD RX 580

9 minutes ago, dorianR666 said:

i hope the mistake is on ED's side and not mcdonnell dougles' engineers. 🙂

Indeed, though I've been perplexed in the past with some of the Hornet-isms that seem to be realistic, but silly. Maybe Hughes was to blame? 🙂

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Beamscanner said:

should be .8 sec hold for SPOT

Cool...  But if I pressed and held it for say, 20 seconds, would it not go into SPOT until after releasing the button?

9 minutes ago, Beamscanner said:

I think it should initiate without the need to release the button.

I just hope that ED codes the long press function correctly and once the 'SPOT' mode is activated, the input from TDC depress is null... until released. Otherwise, even a single extra 'press' character will cancel the SPOT.  I'm just thinking out loud, LOL.  Even I know how to do it... 

According too the -742-100 radar manual this behavior is accurate, "Spotlight is entered from any A/A radar mode except STT or STT RAID by pressing and holding the TDC for more than one second and then releasing the TDC...".  Holding it will allow you to move the spotlight search around the scan volume.