Anybody like me? Own bundles of module and still fly with hog mostly...

Whatever reason: the first module ever learnt so systematically... so far the most developed module with the best manual... lots of CAS funs with air - ground force interactions...

Looking forward to more sound campaigns.

• Like 3

Yep... Almost all of my hours are in the A10 and KA50.

Honestly, the older I get - the harder it is for me to justify spending the time needed to learn a new AC like I know the KA50 and A10. Only AC I see in the future really commanding my interest like that is going to be the Apache.... but I said exactly the same about the F14... and I've spent a total of 3hrs in her. LOL

I am REALLY looking forward to the Dynamic Campaign. 

• Like 2

If speed is death…, buy a Honda and live forever.

I also jump around. a good number of hours in probably a dozen different modules (note that doesn't correlate to being good in any of them). hog, hornet, sabre, and huey are the ones i've flown the most and actually feel comfortable in. currently switching learning days between f-16, f-14, mig-21, and the hip. next up after those (ie, probably in a few months) are jf-17, m2000, and (hopefully by then) the hind.

• Like 2

I also used to be almost exclusively a Hog and Black Shark guy, but I've found the Harrier from a systems point of view easier to jump back into from a long break than the Hog, which seems to keep me going back to it. 🤨

• Like 1

No, I'm not like you .. I own almost all aircrafts too, but have learned most of them, as I usually fly just a single type of aircraft for several consecutive weeks or months .. currently I'm flying only the Mi-8 and will switch to the Hind once it's released and fly it exclusively until the Mosquito arrives, etc.

Edited by Rudel_chw
  • Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Yes. The A-10 was really the last module I learned, and I frequently come back to it because:

1. It's the most complete

2. It's the least buggy

3. It's the most documented

4. It has superior HOTAS logic

5. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRT

Every time I jump into one of the other modules something is buggy or has changed because some procedure was a placeholder until an improved procedure was coded, which is then again replaced by the full procedure later. Thus documentation is all over the place with three different procedures for the same task, and only one of them even working. In some modules the newer procedures aren't even documented yet. 

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, Nealius said:

Yes. The A-10 was really the last module I learned, and I frequently come back to it because:

1. It's the most complete

2. It's the least buggy

3. It's the most documented

4. It has superior HOTAS logic

5. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRT

Every time I jump into one of the other modules something is buggy or has changed because some procedure was a placeholder until an improved procedure was coded, which is then again replaced by the full procedure later. Thus documentation is all over the place with three different procedures for the same task, and only one of them even working. In some modules the newer procedures aren't even documented yet. 

Very true. I think I'll start going back to the A-10 just because of this thread 🙂

• Like 4

Yeah, I own many modules, and enjoy flying them. But the A 10 is the one I know best and my favorite to fly. 

• Like 1

i9 11900KF, RTX 3090 24GB G DDR6X, 1TB SSD, 64GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz, Reverb G2.

No, learning and flying them one at a time.

But, recently learned and flew A-10 and enjoyed it a lot. Just finished excellent Enemy Within 3.0 campaign.

Definitely a great plane, very mature and featured and unique CAS missions with HOTAS experience.

Not to mention a very big gun.

• Like 1

Count me in as being like you in that regard.  I have lots of modules that I like to screw around with on occasion.  But when I actually want to fly a mission in something, its always going to be the A-10C.  Its just my kind of aircraft I guess.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I used to stay in KA-50 for years, then I bought to A-10C when it was mature enough.

Then when MiG-21Bis got out it was the go-to fighter. Then Mi-8 was go-to helicopter.

For sometime I did a lot of jumping around for module to module only to find out that it is not wise, why I made "1-module-1-month" philosophy.

Spending one month in one module gives enough time to just enjoy for it and refresh with its features etc (these days it doesn't take than few minutes regardless the module to remember how things works).

More modules meant that less time for a A-10C, I think I spent just one month with the A-10C II as it was the old same old with just little different HOTAS functions.

When I want to do CAS, my go-to module is the AV-8B N/A Harrier. It is everything that A-10C should be (as real plane wise) but just better (but not by DCS module wise). 

There is something in the Harrier that puts Warthog to shame, maybe the possibilities and the capabilities to complete so different tasks.

In time I have started to enjoy more of the old school flying, why I would like to see A-10A instead A-10C. It would be far nicer to get it operating in full fidelity. So maybe then I would be spending far more time with the A-10 than Harrier. 

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Count me in this group for most the reasons others listed above PLUS....there's something about toting and dropping a shitload of whoop-ass that makes the slower, longer flights worth it. And now with even more flavors of whoop-ass, and the HMCS it's more fun.

When I mixed the Hawg with the Hornet and then the Viper, as much as I enjoy the differences, I always came back to my GO TO bird. I also found over the last year or so that with all the updates, additions, changes with the Hornet and Viper I just couldn't keep up. So I may follow Fri13 above philosophy of '1 mod a month' and focus on the Hornet again.

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

On 6/6/2021 at 12:08 PM, Fri13 said:

For sometime I did a lot of jumping around for module to module only to find out that it is not wise, why I made "1-module-1-month" philosophy.

Spending one month in one module gives enough time to just enjoy for it and refresh with its features etc (these days it doesn't take than few minutes regardless the module to remember how things works).

I've been giving this philosophy a try and I have to say I like it! I used to jump around with modules all the time and sort of sucked at all of them, but I've been sticking with the Ka-50 again and I am going to this whole month. I can already see my level of skill with it improving way more quickly. Thanks for sharing this idea.👍

Again thanks for those comments of "1 module 1 month"... I respect guys focusing one thing at one time. 

While I think 1 month is probably not enough (maybe I am a slow learner). I have been learning BFM of hornet for several months, and I found myself still in a middle way. 

This topic, actually I mean (doesn't mean other modules are not good), is to share the idea that it's a great fun when diving into one module, and enjoying the great battles designed for it...

18 hours ago, lqqfrank said:

While I think 1 month is probably not enough (maybe I am a slow learner). I have been learning BFM of hornet for several months, and I found myself still in a middle way. 

The idea in that 1M1M philosophy is that you give minimum that time per module, if you want to continue flying then you extend it with another. 

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

@Lazerhawk....hahahahaha...that's been a wise call for the last year if you have the A-10C AND F/A-18. So many updates that affect the HOTUS I can't keep this straight. Realized the other night I had completely veg'ed out on how to use A-10 Countermeasures while flying into a shit storm of SAMs.

• Like 1

Asus B85 Pro Gamer - 32GB - Intel® Core i5-4460 CPU - SanDisk SDSSDXPS480G -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

TrackIR5 - TM Warthog HOTAS Stick & Throttle - TM Cougar MFCDs - TM TPR Rudder Pedals - Razer Orbweaver - SoundBlasterX G5 DAC

My virtual hanger is also busy enough to run quite a nice virtual museum LOL.

I fly WW2 warbirds on MP servers with Virtual Sqn. friends a lot and over the last many months, my other ride, when not flying WW2, is the A10C. Easy to fly, more challenging to fight, when up with a wingman, the A10C in action is all encompassing. 

But I think there's a hidden truth here which often is masked by the fancy shiny stuff .... we tend to fly what we love, that airframe that tickles the emotion deep down and DCS offers that opportunity like no other.  Problem is, I love 'em all !!!

S!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hog since 2015. I own the F16, 18 and loaded them once each. I'm too lazy to map and re-map controls, it's a major pain IMO to be changing stuff as you learn and then have to relearn your binds. I use a TM Warthog stick for the A10 and I'd be screwed without it.

F14 is awesome fun and very useful on MP maps when losers shoot down your Hog in an Su27. Eat Phoenix spam, comrade! 🙂

Spitfire for relaxing flights, GA style - the 109 K4 is the wrong era IMO. I'll come back to fighting in warbirds when we have the Spit XIV

No choppers, I'd go mad!

I've just pre-ordered the Mosquito, I'm looking forward to flying that as it's one of my all time favourite aircraft. I guess I just love moving mud!

Edited by Morat

So I have: 

A10C / II, F5, F18, F16, FC3 all, P51... then Ka50, Mi8, Huey, Gazelle, that aerobatic plane, used to have MB339 and A4E mods but I have removed them, and the AH6J...

I have taken the time to learn the F18 now that is mostly complete and had a blast with it. I spent quite some time in that and played two or three campaigns. Then I know the Huey by heart and can retake the Mi8 or the Ka50 in a couple of hrs fam flights. 
F5, F16C are in the hangar... can't be arsed to learn everything anew with them. The Gazelle I don't like. The Huey/Mi8/Ka50, yes but they have little use outside of very specific missions and servers for multiplayer. 

But, the a10CII is the one I always go back to (with the occasional jump in the F18 cockpit for multiplayer). Now if it just was a little faster, it would be the perfect module, but it is perfect. We just need that ARC-210 radio and my life will be complete.. 

I own four other aircraft which I've never flown although I have been itching to give the Harrier a go. I'm happy in Hog Heaven and don't have a need to switch aircraft. I have to admit that I will get the AH-64 when available and give that one a try.

Edited by King39