I Can't Even Do the Tutorials...

Pardon, guys, but since I have purchased the Spit, I am having several problems that I cannot fix. They are all random control movements that I do not touch but move on their own. I have checked and can't find any duplicate bindings. I go to do the start-up, and while I'm clicking on what I'm supposed to, the Flap switch operates. I make sure it's set to UP, and continue, and next the landing gear...sorry, undercarriage handle goes to the UP position. Luckily, I haven't started it yet, so I move the gear handle back down.

Upon starting the taxi/take-off lesson, as I'm warming up, the Flap lever goes down again...I put it back up. Then I start my taxi, and the gear fold up - the gear lever is the culprit. Get it going again, and as I finally make the runway and start my roll, the Mixture lever slides back, and the engine quits. And sometimes, I get to the runway, and while I'm checking everything, the instructor tells I didn't complete the lesson, and to start over.

I don't have this problem with any of the other aircraft I own - from the P-51 to the F-16, F-18, F-14 and A-10C. Only the Spit! Help! I want to fly this thing but it's driving me crazy!

-= Gary =-

a.k.a. Florida - Current DCS Beta, A-10C II Warthog, F/A-18C Hornet, F-16, F-14B Tomcat, P-51D, Spitfire, Track IR, Logitech X-56 HOTAS, Logitech rudder pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Throttle Quadrant, Razer Orb Weaver, X-Box controller

:pilotfly:

The only thing I can suggest is to carefully go thru your control bindings on all your HOTAS to make sure there are no duplicates. I have found that even an update can trigger duplicates. You seem experienced though - with all those other aircraft, so you might have done this. The only other thing might be a "Repair" move, which might take out any mods that you have installed. Other than that - make a bug report to ED. Good luck...persevere - she is a beauty once you tame her.

17 hours ago, Hornetjock said:

The only thing I can suggest is to carefully go thru your control bindings on all your HOTAS to make sure there are no duplicates. I have found that even an update can trigger duplicates. You seem experienced though - with all those other aircraft, so you might have done this. The only other thing might be a "Repair" move, which might take out any mods that you have installed. Other than that - make a bug report to ED. Good luck...persevere - she is a beauty once you tame her.

For awhile, I even suspected my Voice Attack app, though I try to mute the mic when I'm not giving a verbal command. Thought maybe it was picking up garbage sound and interpreting that as a valid command. But even with VA not running, it's the same thing, the same few controls - flaps, gear, mixture - that keep autonomously activate. Back to the investigation.

-= Gary =-

a.k.a. Florida - Current DCS Beta, A-10C II Warthog, F/A-18C Hornet, F-16, F-14B Tomcat, P-51D, Spitfire, Track IR, Logitech X-56 HOTAS, Logitech rudder pedals, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, CH Throttle Quadrant, Razer Orb Weaver, X-Box controller

Got it fixed! Renamed my Spit directory, and DCS wrote a new one. Had to set up all the controls all over again, but the problem was solved. Must've been something in my bindings that I just couldn't find.

As an aside, always had problems taxiing the Spit, until I solved it MY way. Binding both rudder pedal toe brakes to the wheel brakes, all I have to do now is step on the appropriate rudder pedal and hit the toe brake. Lot easier to control. Now I just have to figure out how to fly it.

-= Gary =-

Good luck! Just don't dwell too much on the included training/tutorial missions, because they're average quality at best and can even teach you bad habits - for example taxiing and takeoff mission will tell you to crank the elevator trim one div below the level position, which will make the plane hopelessly nose-heavy (should be one div above level instead).

Watch some other folks' vids, try out what works best with your hardware and practice, practice... It can be a challenging / frustrating plane to learn to fly in DCS because of its extreme controls sensitivity, but once you manage to sort it out, it becomes a fun kite to throw around.

Edited by Art-J

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Thanks, Art! I wanted to play around on Phil's server, and don't do any of the German birds. Fly the P-51 right now, but want to figure out the Spit. I'm about to give up on the tutorials...I set binding for trim control (rudder and pitch) and while doing the taxi/takeoff class, I trimmed the rudder back and forth for 10 minutes with no results, using the trim top-hat on the stick. Then I found out that the tutorialonly responds to the mouse doing the trimming. I'll look up some of the others' tutorials. Phil's instructions on changing the pitch curve saved my ass a lot of trouble.

-= Gary =-