New Guy to DCS & Mission Editor

greyeagle787

So i’m new to all of this and have been working my way through the P-51D DCS canned missions and campaign. My question is, if I wanted to edit one of these missions for, let’s say, weather, can I do that? If I can, how/where do I save it, ie. what folder, file name etc? And then, if once saved, how do I recall it and fly it with the new settings? Thanks and apologize for being new and dumb!

37 minutes ago, greyeagle787 said:

So i’m new to all of this and have been working my way through the P-51D DCS canned missions and campaign. My question is, if I wanted to edit one of these missions for, let’s say, weather, can I do that? 

Yes, you can ... all the missions that ED provides included with the P-51D are not copy protected, just take care to not overwrite the originals, instead save them on a diferent place or give your versions a different name. However, the missions from paid Campaigns, ARE copy protected and so you can't edit those.

40 minutes ago, greyeagle787 said:

how/where do I save it, ie. what folder, file name etc? 

The Mission Editor has an easy way to distinguish between the built-in missions of each Module, and the custom missions that you edit. When you open the ME, it gives you a choice to create a new mission from scratch, or to open an existing mission:

hL7xZgO.jpg

If you go for the Open Mission option, by default it shows you only your own custom missions, like this:

dcIEEAX.jpg

On the top of the dialog, you can see the folder path to the location that DCS prefers to use for your own Missions: /Saved Games/DCS/Missions ... inside this folder you can store your missions any way you want .. on my case I created a series of sub-folders (using Windows file management tools) because I liked to store my missions separately for Map .. nowadays this is not really needed because some time ago the ME started to show that "Map" column, so that you can now easily see what Map is used on each mission.

Anyway, this is fine and dandy for editing your own missions, but how do you get access to the built-in missions made by ED? .. the answer is simple: tick that "Folder Browser" option, the dialog changes into this:

vJwTJu5.jpg

Now you can see one folder for each aircraft that you own, on the figure I have selected the P-51D folder and to the right it shows me the different Groups of Missions that this aircraft has: a built-in Campaign, Quick Start missions, Single Missions and Training Missions.

For example, here I'm browsing the Quick start missions of the P-51:

uxhPnoQ.jpg

Note the name convention that ED uses for the mission filename: It includes the Map, then the Aircraft type for the player, and then the actual mission name. You can use the same convention, or devise your own (for example, for my missions I add the suffix "(by Rudel_chw)" so that I can distinguish my own missions from those made by others that I have downloaded from the Web).

If I click on OK, the Mission Editor will load this built-in mission:

JCQmvQd.jpg

BEFORE you change it, go to FILE -> SAVE AS and save it on another place, so that you keep the original mission intact:

KQBh9XZ.jpg

Here, now you untick "Folder Browser", and now you can actually save the mission, that will thus be stored at /Saved Games/DCS/Missions:

togBpjG.jpg

You can keep the original name, or name it however you like:

BFtC9tI.jpg

From now on you will be able to Open it easily from this location:

lmFyX74.jpg

Best regards,

Eduardo

• Like 3

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB