Visible liquid in whisky compass and bubbles when firing GAU-8

Laser9

Oh please no! More concerned with impact area, targets, current threat assessment to name but a few (and FPS) rather than watch some bubbles in a ball! :laugh: 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X; ASUS ROG Strix X570-F, Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2x 32GB) 3600MHz; Seagate FireCuda 510 500GB M.2-2280 (OS); Samsung 860 EVO 2TB M.2-2280 (DCS); MSI GeForce RTX 3090 SUPRIM X 24GB OC GPU. TM Warthog Hotas; T.Flight Pedals; DelanClip/Trackhat.

A whole bunch of people have commented on earlier requests referring to this video that a well maintained whiskey compass should not nearly show as many bubbles and that this particular one is in pretty bad shape and should be replaced/filled up.

Having such an effect in DCS would look nice, but would probably not be representative of the fleet of well maintained aircraft out there.

• Thanks 2

As Yurgon said, a properly maintained whiskey compass will not have air bubbles inside it.  When there is air inside the compass to make bubbles, it means that the seals are leaking fluid.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

• 7 months later...

Would it be possible to improve the Hog compass during GAU-8 firing?

Please see attached video. I really like the violent shaking of the compass in this video. 

Currently the simulated compass is not really noticing anything. Please see below.

• Like 1

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Ahh. thanks. I did not search to see if others asked for it before. Good finds! 

Just read these other threads and I can't disagree with any of the shared opinions. In a forward unit during wartime I could understand that might actually happen. In DCS I use the older cockpit look and to me this maintenance worthy compass would fit in nicely. It really gives a nice additional feedback on the vibrations, same as short blurring of the HUD during firing. Just makes it a bit more real for me. On the other hand I understand if others would say the compass needs replacing and it could get on your nerves if you don't like it. 

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png