Do most of those familiar with AGM deployment on to moving targets tend to rely upon the auto handoff on the D and G models. I've been practising its use lately and I find that it's often easier to re-designate myself directly through the AGM seeker head as the TGP handoff does not see all that reliable. I have found that It does work from time to time but not always.

And yes, I am correctly bore sighted. 

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

HI.

I am with you, it works quite lazy, to say the least. First, be sure you have the correct Mav selected, according to your TGP image (TV or IR, can t tell you right now witch one it is).

Second, try to have a zoom level close to the one of the AGM, as I think that a similar image has better  probability of succeeding.

Saludos.

Saca111

Auto Handoff is wildly unreliable in its current state. You're better off using Manual Handoff or simply slewing the mavericks themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante

On 6/3/2021 at 6:35 PM, WHOGX5 said:

Auto Handoff is wildly unreliable in its current state. You're better off using Manual Handoff or simply slewing the mavericks themselves.

Yeah, that was my impression. I’m not really listing this as a bug, maybe that’s how the real thing works, much to my chagrin, I’ve never flown a real Viper. Glad I’m not the only one having issues in that respect. Thanks. 

Edited by Willie Nelson

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

+1 on this also. Works maybe 1 in 10 times if I am lucky.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I followed this tutorial and had it work reliably well. Tutorial  Thanks to @F16wannabe

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
=============================
Intel Core i7 5930K 3.5GHz, 32Gb RAM// Radeon RX Vega // SSD only // Saitek X65F Throttle / TM Warthog FCS / Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals / Physical Cockpit // TrackIR or VR (HP R-G2)// Win10Pro 64bit //

On 6/9/2021 at 11:56 PM, Hardcard said:

@Willie Nelson
Yup, you're not alone.

Auto handoff won't give you a valid mav lock most of the time.  

I force correlate H and K mavericks, using manual handoff and area mode, but in order for this to work well, mavericks need to be perfectly boresighted. 

Ok, thanks for that, would you mind giving me tips on what you do to boresight that might be different to me, keeping in mind that with the D ang G Mavs, I have not problem getting a lock on stationary targets when I boresight on the ground to an object that is viewable in the HUD and at least 200 metres away with a reasonable contrast.

@Willie Nelson

I boresight them on the ground, using runway / taxiway signs (these are lockable objects in DCS). 

The procedure I follow is pretty much the same shown in the video that @Dawgboy linked, but, unlike the author of that video, I use lockable objects to boresight my mavs.
He used a hornet's wheel, which the mavs couldn't lock on to properly, I wouldn't have trusted that alignment.

In any case, I double check the alignment once I'm the air, using friendly ground units around the airbase. Small corrections are needed sometimes, but nothing major.  

Edited by Hardcard
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2021 at 10:35 AM, WHOGX5 said:

It's pretty reliable 9nm and under, well into the LAR , if you boresighted correctly that is. If a tgt is point tracked outside that range the handoff will probably fail and the seeker will go into a failed lock mode (the name I gave it since I don't have access to the proper documentation). The crosshair will have a large gap instead of the usual small gap but the MBC status remains in T instead of C or I. Normally TMS right will override this mode by forcing another handoff. This doesn't work correctly yet as I've been told. Another option is to TMS down to enter the AREA track of the TGP and then TMS up to enter POINT track and force another handoff. I don't like doing this because if I TMS down one too many times the TGP is CZ'ed and will have to reacquire the tgt again. My personal drill, if a handoff was unsuccessful, is to DMS down to SOI  the WPN page and spam the TMS up button until the seeker locks. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2021 at 4:33 PM, Hardcard said:

@Willie Nelson

I boresight them on the ground, using runway / taxiway signs (these are lockable objects in DCS). 

The procedure I follow is pretty much the same shown in the video that @Dawgboy linked, but, unlike the author of that video, I use lockable objects to boresight my mavs.
He used a hornet's wheel, which the mavs couldn't lock on to properly, I wouldn't have trusted that alignment.

In any case, I double check the alignment once I'm the air, using friendly ground units around the airbase. Small corrections are needed sometimes, but nothing major.  

That’s good info, exactly the sort of information I haven’t been able to find by simply looking through the manuals. Thanks. 

On 6/11/2021 at 9:08 PM, Sinclair_76 said:

It's pretty reliable 9nm and under, well into the LAR , if you boresighted correctly that is. If a tgt is point tracked outside that range the handoff will probably fail and the seeker will go into a failed lock mode (the name I gave it since I don't have access to the proper documentation). The crosshair will have a large gap instead of the usual small gap but the MBC status remains in T instead of C or I. Normally TMS right will override this mode by forcing another handoff. This doesn't work correctly yet as I've been told. Another option is to TMS down to enter the AREA track of the TGP and then TMS up to enter POINT track and force another handoff. I don't like doing this because if I TMS down one too many times the TGP is CZ'ed and will have to reacquire the tgt again. My personal drill, if a handoff was unsuccessful, is to DMS down to SOI  the WPN page and spam the TMS up button until the seeker locks. 

Yes, I have had the TMS down go to CZ all too often now, I’m not sure if it’s consistent or if there’s something I’m missing in the heat of battle but I have to completely bug out go away and reaquire at a distance. I’m certainly looking forward to ED bringing in DTOS for visual acquisition, but that’s another story. 

Handoff to moving targets doesn't work because the LOS of the missile isn't maintained equal to the TGP throughout the process. The missile stops being updated to the LOS of the TGP at the moment the handoff begins so it's behind the target by the time the process ends. The runs a little deeper than that, the entire concept of SPI isn't following a moving target. Even with MK82 bombs you can see the TD box doesn't move along with a tracking TGP in point mode. Instead the missile should remain slaved to the TGP LOS throughout handoff which should allow handoff to moving target.

Track

F-16 handoff SPI freeze.trk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1