FAC Start Enroute Task not working.

Draken35

DCS 2.7.1.7029  .7139 Open Beta

Started working on a randomized targets JTAC mission for multiple modules and when added the Harrier, I noticed, after much troubleshooting, that the FAC Start Enroute Task is not working (not sure since which version).

Attached are a simplified mission and a track running it showing the issue. You will notices that the JTAC menu does not appears in the Harrier while it does in the A-10C II, F-16C and F-18C . 

Not show in the track but I've tested changing radio frequencies to match everywhere and still doesn't work. 

It is worth noting that the "real" mission, with the randomized targets and JTACs is a lot more complex and involves delay starts of multiple objects and works like a charm for the ED modules mentioned above.

Edit to add: What is used as a FAC/JTAC does not matter... Tried with other airplanes and ground units and the behavior is the same.

image.png

AV8B FAC Issue.trk TEST-JTAC.miz

Edited by Draken35

Here's an older mission that I made using MQ-9 instead of Predator. Worked fine just now with .7029  with AV8B.  LOL, just got the .7139 update...

image.png

I see I used FAC-ENGAGE GROUP not just FAC. This might make a difference. When I first set out to program FAC's I believe this was the option I saw in whatever tutorial I looked at.

Persian Gulf Tunb Island Weapons Practice_AV8B_AFA_Guided.miz

Edited by Recluse
FAC vs. FAC-ENGAGE GROUP

@Recluse That mission uses the FAC-Engage group ... Which is different task and that task works for me, in different missions,  but defeats the purpose of randomness - unless, of course, you are willing to add multiple tasks - one per each of the possible random groups (50+ in the case of the mission that made me discover this issue).

I truly appreciate your answer, don't get me wrong! But I am not looking to an alternative way to do it, since I know the workaround already... Just pointing something that works for other modules but not for the Harrier.

And, yes, I just saw the new update.... I'll test and report back later.

Edited by Draken35

No worries. When I posted the screenshot, I realized the difference in the two ENROUTE actions. I wasn't sure the FAC action worked without a specific GROUP. Guess I need to look at how some of the RANDOMIZED missions are setup.  Thought maybe they required MIST or other Scripting tools outside the built in Editor functions.

9 minutes ago, Recluse said:

No worries. When I posted the screenshot, I realized the difference in the two ENROUTE actions. I wasn't sure the FAC action worked without a specific GROUP. Guess I need to look at how some of the RANDOMIZED missions are setup.  Thought maybe they required MIST or other Scripting tools outside the built in Editor functions.

I'm not using mist for that yet.... Getting my feet wet with the ME ... If you own the A-10C or A-10CII and Syria map, I'll be willing to share it with you in its current state

Edited by Draken35

Well... I kinda feel like an idiot for not thinking on this before... Still not sure if it is "as intended" but here is what I found:

On these kind of missions I usually leave the aircraft unarmed and at 50% fuel.... Well, one thing that the A10, F16 & F18 have that the Harrier doesn't is a cannon...

So, I went ahead a put a gun pod in the Harrier, in the mission editor, and voila! It can communicate with the AFAC using the FAC Start Enroute Task as expected. Note, the aircraft needs to be armed in the mission editor at least (I have not tried with the mission planner) because if it spawns in the mission unarmed it will not work, not even if you rearm it.

That is strange!! I get the part about being unarmed, but spawning unarmed and then loading ordnance SHOULD work. This might be a real bug 🙂

I noticed that in the Hornet, sometimes the AFAC will call for CANNON even when I am loaded with Guided Ordnance if I have the MB Weapon preference setting to AUTO in the mission editor, which is why I usually set to GUIDED, but then it might glitch if only carrying dumb bombs. Of course, when that happens, I just ignore him...

The other AFAC tasks work when the Harrier spawns unarmed and is rearmed so... Of course, cannot say if this is a Harrier bug or an ED one... Don't have any other airplane that does not have built-in guns to test this...