DCS World Download Speeds

I am currently downloading DCS World Open Beta again after having issues with drive space. I am using the standard DCS Updater and i am currently getting only 1.5 MB/s download speed. I know this is not an internet issue as all my other downloads to date have been reasonably fast. At this rate, it will take nearly 24 hours to download the base program. Is there anything that can be done to speed things up?

Edited by Freakmeister51
  • Like 1

Please ensure Windows auto-tuning is enabled. Launch this commande line in a cmd window, it will tell you if it's disabled or not:

netsh interface tcp show global

If it's disabled, enable it using this command line:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal 

In case you're wondering; yes, auto-tuning should be enabled in Windows 10.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

Hi Flappie. Yes, i've checked the global auto tuning and it is set to normal. It was on as standard as you implied. Still only getting 0.8 to 1.5 MB/s download speed. Still currently have 5 hours worth of download time for the basic simulator without any modules. Surely there is something ED can do to speed up download times??? It will surely put newcomers off from downloading the sim as not everybody has or can afford fiber broadband.

ED doesn't have their own download servers. It uses CDN77 servers, a big company with big servers and big "pipes". I read in your profile you're living in UK, right? Speed shouldn't be an issue here. The issue most probably comes from your PC. I heard you: you don't seem to have download issues with your other applications, but maybe something is slowing down your DCS updater.

Please add this main DCS folder as an exception to your antivirus software: "\DCS World\" or "\DCS World OpenBeta\".

13 hours ago, Freakmeister51 said:

..  I am using the standard DCS Updater and i am currently getting only 1.5 MB/s download speed...At this rate, it will take nearly 24 hours to download the base program...

🙂 Welcome to my world. That’s actually a bit faster than my usual download speeds. A major update takes days, not hours, to download.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I feel for you Ironhand, I really do. I tried to get some advise from the Facebook forum but all I got was mockery and abuse. I am currently downloading the modules in batches of twos and threes. I tried it all at once, leaving it overnight and for the period that I was at work, (9.5 hours) only to find that it had binned me off the server. Doesn’t seem like anyone is willing to show any sympathy.

1 hour ago, Freakmeister51 said:

Doesn’t seem like anyone is willing to show any sympathy.

Well i do. My DCS downloads are fine in general but my MSFS 2020 downloads are slow, usually around 11-13 Mb/sec where i have a 300Mb line.

The slowest passthrough is what you get in the end, even if you are on a super speedy fiber line.

So it might not be you nor the servers DCS is coming from but some bottleneck in between, not much you can do about that.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

Have you tried my last suggestion?

Yes, absolutely no difference at all. I have run a speed check on my ISP, should have up to 100MB/s. As i said before, All my other games/simulators, and i have quite a few, i can download in a few hours MSFS 2020 took 5 hours to download. I am still downloading DCS World a day and a half later......

Edited by Freakmeister51
Spelling error
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lange_666 said:

Well i do. My DCS downloads are fine in general but my MSFS 2020 downloads are slow, usually around 11-13 Mb/sec where i have a 300Mb line.

The slowest passthrough is what you get in the end, even if you are on a super speedy fiber line.

So it might not be you nor the servers DCS is coming from but some bottleneck in between, not much you can do about that.

Thank you. I have resorted to downloading say 3-4 modules at a time. This seems to have worked well enough to get them all in. I have also noticed, while trying to load modules that there are times when the server cannot be reached and I get a message to that affect, but I manage to connect on a second attempt. What do you think that might be? I really appreciate your message...thanks again.

Edited by Freakmeister51
A little extra thought

2 hours ago, Freakmeister51 said:

I have also noticed, while trying to load modules that there are times when the server cannot be reached and I get a message to that affect, but I manage to connect on a second attempt. What do you think that might be?

Honestly, I have no clue. Think my last full re-install was somewhere late 2017 early 2018. Since then i only upgraded (both stable and open beta) and added a few modules/terrains only when i bought one, not the whole shabang in one go. I just recall not reaching the server for authentication a day or 2 ago. Next attempt it worked.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

6 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Honestly, I have no clue. Think my last full re-install was somewhere late 2017 early 2018. Since then i only upgraded (both stable and open beta) and added a few modules/terrains only when i bought one, not the whole shabang in one go. I just recall not reaching the server for authentication a day or 2 ago. Next attempt it worked.

Thanks for your input Lange. It's refreshing to know there IS someone out there who will feed information to us with out belittling me in the process. Thanks again and happy flying. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flappie said:

😕 Sorry if I belittled you. Does that mean our idyll is over?

No mate, you didn't belittle me at all. In fact you and Lange have been the friendliest i have spoken to about this situation. I tried getting some info from the DCS facebook page. I have since left the site due to unfriendly comments. Thanks again for your help, seriously, i appreciate it.

😅 Thanks for reassuring me.

I'm not on Facebook. I have no idea if ED support is that active on Facebook. I'm pretty sure they're more active on the forum (but then there is so many "Bugs and problems" subforum here) and on Discord.

On 6/6/2021 at 9:31 AM, Freakmeister51 said:

I feel for you Ironhand, I really do. I tried to get some advise from the Facebook forum but all I got was mockery and abuse. I am currently downloading the modules in batches of twos and threes. I tried it all at once, leaving it overnight and for the period that I was at work, (9.5 hours) only to find that it had binned me off the server. Doesn’t seem like anyone is willing to show any sympathy.

Oh...I wasn't mocking or belittling you. Just expressing my envy.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

21 minutes ago, Ironhand said:

Oh...I wasn't mocking or belittling you. Just expressing my envy.

I never thought for one minute that you were mate. That was what i got from DCS World Facebook forum. I have never been ridiculed here, maybe ignored but never ridiculed. Anyway, i am nearly done downloading, it's only been four days of my flying time wasted. Just wish there was a way to speed things up is all.... Anyway, maybe see you in the skies somewhere. Take care.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not that Dl speed is slow. Its OK on broadband. I have Spectrum 400 broadband. Its just that DCS updates are huuge. LIke former POTUS Donald J. Effin' Trump fat, huge. DCS is getting fatter and fatter, and FPS keeps dropping. My rig is hardly 1 1/2 years old. HP Z440 wkstation, Intel XEON E5-1640v4 3.7-4 Ghz (Turbo boos), 64GB ECC ram (2666mhz), Nvidia 2060 Super FE. NVMe M.2 system drive and 6GB SATA3 1TB SSD data drive.  2560X1440 @144 hz refresh. A decent machine.

2.5.6 avg 144-180 FPS

2.7.1 avg 90-120 

Seems with each build FPS keeps dropping and dropping.

• 2 months later...
On 6/4/2021 at 4:33 AM, Flappie said:

Please ensure Windows auto-tuning is enabled. Launch this commande line in a cmd window, it will tell you if it's disabled or not:

netsh interface tcp show global

If it's disabled, enable it using this command line:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=normal 

In case you're wondering; yes, auto-tuning should be enabled in Windows 10.

Auto-tuning worked for me on the updates!  Thanks man!  Getting around 23 MB / sec now.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 9:32 PM, Freakmeister51 said:

Thanks for your input Lange. It's refreshing to know there IS someone out there who will feed information to us with out belittling me in the process. Thanks again and happy flying. 

Very, very late to the post but I wanted to support you in two ways:

1. Love the game, no axe to grind, spent way too much on modules and equipment to not be all-in and a huge fan. Like you, my download speeds are pathetically slow and no, it’s not ‘most likely your PC’. I have a fat pipe and routinely speed test it because it costs a fair amount and I want to make sure I’m getting what I paid for. The issue isn’t us, it’s somewhere else. 

2. This community, especially from those that have a high post count, is generally toxic. Passive-aggressive, backhanded comments, dismisses of a good faith questions with a derisive hand waves by forum warriors and the “read the damn manual crowd”. Your not alone in your frustration and observations. I’ve played for a good long while and have virtually no forum interaction (didn’t even register and account until a year ago(?) ) because of how combative the atmosphere *can* be and often is. 

3. The most toxic among us are the same ones who defend the combative tenor and tone here. Basically, complaining (like I am) about the forum bullies who patrol these boards like they’re Sheriffs’ Deputies is like complaining to an abusive spouse. They’ll deny it and use your assertion as an excuse to………further bully you. 

Edited by Palmetto 1-1
Terrible grammar and not making any sense