F-16 in Syria: Mission Powder Keg Soup

Powder Keg Soup.jpg

** REQUIRE DCS 2.7 & The Syria map **

Version 0.9 Beta

As a pilot of the Israel air force, you are tasked to sink 2 Chinese cargo ships in the Lebanese territorial waters.

This mission is fully voiced (dozens of recording), has custom music and automated radio. I would consider the difficulty to be easy. To complete it, you need to know the following:

1. Take-off / Landing.

2. Follow a flight plan thru the programmed steer points.

3. Use of dumb bombs and rockets.

Enjoy and please leave comments. It will help for my future missions.

Thanks!

Mission File

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3316729/

** INSTALLATION

Simply drop the file in your directory [User]\Saved Games\DCS\Missions

Scenario

May 1985,

Shortly after the Lebanon war of 1982, the dust slowly settles between Lebanon and Israel. However, the middle east is more divided than ever and dozens of insurgent groups fight each other in search of power.

Syria becomes a nest for insurgent groups, becoming the haven of weapon smugglers and extremists. On May 6th 1985, Mossad is getting tipped off about a huge shipment of thousands of Chinese AK-47 and RPGs heading for Syria thru the Bassel Al-Assad port. These smuggled weapons will be sold to the various insurgent groups, representing a serious threat in the area.

The cargo ships smuggling the weapons, named Sheunsh an Awhan, are currently crossing the Lebanese territorial water, heading to the Bassel Al-Assad port in Syria. The Israel military demanded access to the Lebanon airspace to sink these ships, which are a threat to security of both countries. Since Lebanon has no air force and would rather let Israel take the political heat for destroying Chinese ships, it temporarily granted the Israeli air force access to their airspace.

On the morning of may 7th 1985, the operation begins.

Note from the developer

1. The ATC and radio are fully automated in this mission. You do not need to touch it at all.

2. For the best experience, set the AUDIO option "IN-COCKPIT" to 50%. This will provide the perfect volume to hear the radio.

3. Follow the Flight plan / Steer points precisely for the mission to run smoothly.

I have few missions of this type that are quite interactive, but that are relatively easy. If I see that there is an interest, I am planning to release a short campaign. Please leave you comments.

Edited by Frag
  • Like 1

Does this mission only work with F-16? Can I modify it into F/A-18C?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

14 hours ago, VFGiPJP said:

Does this mission only work with F-16? Can I modify it into F/A-18C?

Yes I guess you could simply change the aircraft type directly in the mission editor.

Guys if you try this out, please let me know if you think the content is fun. Take a minute to come back here and comments. It will tell me if I should invest time on that easy campaign or not.

I have converted one with F/A-18C with almost identical loadout, with proper livery. With your permission, I would like to post it here after testing.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

I must have done something with the cold start procedure of the Hornet and both CCIP of Hydra and Mk.82 are way off. I tried "start from parking lot" and it runs fine. I cannot change the speech and text of certain dialogue to indicate the correct plane.

Initial comment: light anti-ship mission and using unguided weapons makes it interesting.

Thanks for making this mission.

BTW, I have made a mission of A-4E-C Skyhawk. I think it may be even more interesting. On the other hand, Viggen may be an overkill, even with dumb weapons.

Edited by VFGiPJP

Frag, 

mission is very nice and fun! In my opinion it is really good for F-16 begginers :). 

I really hope that you will make this campaign 🙂!! 

(consider to change it from easy to easy-medium ;]) 

Edited by VonWerner

4 hours ago, VonWerner said:

Frag, 

mission is very nice and fun! In my opinion it is really good for F-16 begginers :). 

I really hope that you will make this campaign 🙂!! 

(consider to change it from easy to easy-medium ;]) 

Thanks for the feedback VonVerner. I already have Powder Keg Soup II in the oven. I am making the sound recording at this point. This one is way more difficult, and would reach medium difficulty.

The one you just played would be nice as an intro mission for the campaign.... not too difficult and mood oriented.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I Love this mission, it's fun and easy and immersive. the music and radio comms are awesome.

As an Israeli I would suggest taking off from Ramat David and not Megiddo since Megiddo is a small civilian strip for light airplanes while Ramat David is the air base of F-16C Squadron.

I'm not sure if we share flight plans with Beirut but it's nice none the less... I would also add AA missiles just for self defense to make it realistic.

Can't wait for your next missions

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Garg0yle said:

I Love this mission, it's fun and easy and immersive. the music and radio comms are awesome.

As an Israeli I would suggest taking off from Ramat David and not Megiddo since Megiddo is a small civilian strip for light airplanes while Ramat David is the air base of F-16C Squadron.

I'm not sure if we share flight plans with Beirut but it's nice none the less... I would also add AA missiles just for self defense to make it realistic.

Can't wait for your next missions

Thanks for the recommendation Gargoyle. I will keep these in mind since I intend to release a new version of this mission as a part of a 3 missions small campaign. I will make some changes based on your recommendations. I had many nice comments thru personal message as well, so it did encourage me to release the campaign.

Edited by Frag
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Just flew this mission now. Love it. Not a difficult one, which is appreciated sometimes.

A suggestion : I would delete the repeating message for direction to WPT 1 and then to WPT 3. We have a good flight plan in F-16, so no need to repeat.

Cheers

Daniel

• 1 year later...

Seems like one of the updates has broken the mission.  At around the time you contact Beirut ATC, a message pops up that says "You did not have permission to engage", then the mission just ends. Looking at the post-mission info screen, something is engaging the ships and it isn't me.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
On 7/2/2023 at 11:44 PM, agamemnon_b5 said:

Seems like one of the updates has broken the mission.  At around the time you contact Beirut ATC, a message pops up that says "You did not have permission to engage", then the mission just ends. Looking at the post-mission info screen, something is engaging the ships and it isn't me.

This. It is a shame, is a very enjoyable mission, does somebody know how to fix it?🧐