Nooo..What happened with the Huey Start Up Stability ?

Volator

I looked around for this bug ... but did not find it.

While cold starting the Huey, it starts shaking like crazy. 

It shake so much that it moves of few feet and the ground crew will scream at you "HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING" if you cold start with external power. They usually say this when you try to fly away without disconnecting the power first.

Please do something about this. Any new player will think that they did something wrong. The shake is not minor in any ways. It is extremely present!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Its not "new" at all, as docWilly stated. If you are just recently experiencing it, then that is really odd!

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2021 at 2:48 PM, Frag said:

Hi guys,

not sure if I missed something ... but in the last few weeks, I noticed that the Huey is shaking quite a lot on cold start. Is it a known bug?

It shake so much that the ground crew will scream at you "HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING" when you cold start with external power. They usually say this when you try to fly away without disconnecting the power first.

What brought that new thing?

Seemed to be like the IRL counterpart now. Just checked it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

really noticing this on my last play. feels like the thing is about to wobble itself over. have the devs said anything about this? seems like a pretty glaring issue if this is not how it is IRL

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

On 1/1/2021 at 1:37 PM, Flappie said:

I have no idea if the wobbling has changed but as you can see, I was able to rearm without the crew chief yelling at me. Can you show us that bit in the form of a short track?

Good job makes me happy you did and posted that video that was cool. It does happen I have it happen to me also and it is dependent on just how bad it rocks at any given time. HOWEVER I have ONLY had this happen to me on an Airport Parking spot NOT a FARP. and only in MANUAL start not Auto Start. Might not matter I do not know. Just wanted to Thank You for still looking into this issue. Now 8/30/2022 I love the Huey

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So after getting a little nostalgic on retirement, i decided to hop into the DCS Huey again. Boy what a ride it is, although some really big issues still kind of bother me. One of them is the massive shaking during turbine runup.

I´ve seen the Bird vibrating and wobbling during startup, but what we got in DCS feels too much. I don´t remember the Huey doing any kind of that excessive shaking at any given rpm. On the other side, it´s been 20 years since i last had a ride, anyone here who maybe has a more recent memory of the lady ?

Edited by Jel
  • Like 2

When in doubt - climb. Nobody ever collided with air.

On 11/3/2022 at 3:39 AM, Jel said:

So after getting a little nostalgic on retirement, i decided to hop into the DCS Huey again. Boy what a ride it is, although some really big issues still kind of bother me. One of them is the massive shaking during turbine runup.

I´ve seen the Bird vibrating and wobbling during startup, but what we got in DCS feels too much. I don´t remember the Huey doing any kind of that excessive shaking at any given rpm. On the other side, it´s been 20 years since i last had a ride, anyone here who maybe has a more recent memory of the lady ?

Yes it has been reported and is known now for a long time. I know this Temporary fix is not S.O.P. for startups in a Huey but it will get rid of the Crazy shake at startup First: I do this NOT hooked to ground power. Pull the Collective all the way up set your throttle as low as you can and still start the Huey. Then start the Huey. When the RPM's reach the point they stop: Start lowering the collective slowly till the RPM's reach the MAX RPM setting for startup around 40 to 44 Engine RPM. Then finish up your Startup.

Edited by DishDoggie
bad spelling sorry

Well they do a very good job of reporting our findings to E.D. here in the forum and they do fix things and I don't know all the reasons for the longer wait for some things to be fixed. This one is one that has been around for some time. I will admit that out of all the things that may need looked at with the Huey this one is my pick for number 1 on the list. Lol I fly the Huey all the time so my list of priorities are bios lol.

Im willing to bet that the wobbling during startup has to do with the rigidness of the landing skids or lack of. It seems like they are flexing too much allowing the body of the helicopter to sway everything stabilizes.

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900k, Asus Z790-E Gaming Wi-fi 2 motherboard, 64gb Corsair DDR5-6400 RGB ram 2x32gb XMP2 profile, 2TB Crucial T700 PCIE 5.0 SSD internal, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0 SSD internal, Asus ROG Strix OC GeForce RTX 4090, Corsair 7000X Case with 5 x 120mm side mounted intake fans and 3 x 140mm top mounted exhaust fans, 1 x 140mm rear mounted exhaust fans, front mounted Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm liquid cooler w/Elite LCD with 6 x 120mm fans in 3 push, 3 pull intake configuration, 2 x 32" Asus 2560x1440 displays, TrackIR5 w/pro clip, Thrustmaster Warthog stick and throttle, CH Fighterstick Pro and Pebble Beach Velocity pedals. 

3 hours ago, 104th_Money said:

Im willing to bet that the wobbling during startup has to do with the rigidness of the landing skids or lack of. It seems like they are flexing too much allowing the body of the helicopter to sway everything stabilizes.

It could be and it could be some other things too. I have noticed in starting the Huey the way I do it seams to hit a point in the Engine RPM range at 20-24,000 when it gets so much rotor torque that it starts jumping. It is like a burst of large torque twist on the mast. Lifting the Collective all the way up retards the effect by limiting the amount of torque that can be placed on the rotor mast just after you reach that point in the RPM range. It will stop then as you lower the collective and the RPM's advance higher it is as normal as it should be. I think the Fix could be to look into this area butt lol opinions are like 🚽 I got one. lol

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/19/2023 at 6:49 PM, Volator said:

Wobble on start-up is gone with the latest OB patch. Finally! And it took only two and a half years. :clap:

Thank the Lord above, they finally fired the mechanic that worked on the rotor balance..

• Like 1

The huey is all kinds of weird after the engine model update, whatever that means, as there are no details about what was changed.

The helicopter moves left and right on its Z axis during start-up and although it doesn't wobble side to side anymore, as initial bug states, it has received a major increase in vibrations in all phases of flight.

Feels like the dashboard is about to come off any moment now and with less than half collective, and rocket pods, full fuel, the helicopter is going 110+ knots in a straight line.

Edited by Shadow KT
  • Like 1

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

When this bug thread started, I didn’t have DCS.

I bought the Huey after seeing a few tempting videos and started to learn to fly it. First time I tried it I laughed at the excessive rocking but thought it’d be fixed in an update. Since the last update the Huey’s had one flight. Starting it up seemed different but when I took off everything felt wrong to me, I could barely fly it. I haven’t tried it again, now I know it’s been knackered, and reported to be since before I bought it. I’ll have to have another look later, hope it gets better.