DCS: AH-64D - Development Report 4th June 2021

BIGNEWY

• ED Team

DCS: AH-64D

Development Report

AH-64D - External Model

The external model and cockpit are extraordinarily complex and time consuming. An enormous amount of research and work have gone into making these as detailed and accurate as possible. Special attention has been given to the pilot crew models and animations.

AH-64D - IHADSS

Much of the avionics work focuses on the navigation system and TSD pages. This is in parallel with the IHADSS / PNVS / TADS, the Area Weapons System / Rocket Management Subsystem, Hellfire Modular Missile System with the AGM-114K.

AH-64D - ASE

The Aircraft Survivability Equipment (ASE) is also in development. This incorporated the Radar Signal Detecting Set and the Common Missile Warning System (CMWS). These will be available at launch and greatly increase mission survivability.

AH-64D

The flight model is progressing nicely, and we are now developing the flight augmentation systems that include SCAS and HOLD modes. Modeling of the T700 GE 701C EDECU engine and related systems is underway.

Thanks 

The ED Team

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• ED Team
4 hours ago, Razor68 said:

Awsome, this is the module i have been waiting for.

Its going to be awesome for sure, if you are a chopper person like me its a dream come true. 🙂

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

details looks insane. i can spend months by just looking at the model

• Like 1

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

I'm ready for this 😄

• Like 5

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

Looks amazing.

The BS3 cockpit is excellent in VR but the Hind and Apache will look awesome.

Hind, Apache and BS3 coming.... I am sure I died and I am now living in the alternate heaven universe. 

Special attention given to the Pilot crew models and animations?

Eds best pilot models are coming perhaps?

...... I must have died!

The Apache will be very special me thinks.

Edited by Rogue Trooper
  • Like 4

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• ED Team
1 hour ago, Robi Hobby said:

Is this the Block III  ??   

AH-64D late block II

• Like 3

19 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

AH-64D late block II

That's nice ! I'm a bit sad that we wont have JTRS or FBW but we still have an AH64D so, it's a very little bit of sadness lol. Thanks for the information. Can't wait for Wags to present us that baby.

3 hours ago, hotrod525 said:

That's nice ! I'm a bit sad that we wont have JTRS or FBW but we still have an AH64D so, it's a very little bit of sadness lol. Thanks for the information. Can't wait for Wags to present us that baby.

Well hopefully the BUCS system is modelled so you'll have some FBW. You'll just have to wait until your control rods are shot away 😄. Fo ultra realism they could also model that if you get in the cockpit a bit clumsily and whack the stick with your foot you end up breaking out the ARDDS and have to call maintenance to come and reset them!

• Like 2

On 6/7/2021 at 4:04 PM, hotrod525 said:

What does FBW stand for hotrod525?

Hopefully not Fly By Wire.

Whats JTRS?

A man who loves steam gauges is asking. 🙂

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

• ED Team
1 hour ago, Rogue Trooper said:

What does FBW stand for hotrod525?

Hopefully not Fly By Wire.

Whats JTRS?

I believe he is in fact referring to Fly By Wire and the Joint Tactical Radio System.

Which is strange since all Apaches (as in A, D and E models) only have FBW as an emergency backup system, not a primary control system.

Nor have any Apaches ever had JTRS in them either; not even the AH-64E (which was originally designated AH-64D Block 3).

Edited by Raptor9

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

Thanks Raptor9,

good to know.

It will be interesting to see what this chopper performs like in DCS.

Every thing has surprised me so far in choppers DCS, will the apache be a slow dog to perform?

Really looking forward to finding out!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

6 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

I believe he is in fact referring to Fly By Wire and the Joint Tactical Radio System.

Which is strange since all Apaches (as in A, D and E models) only have FBW as an emergency backup system, not a primary control system.

Nor have any Apaches ever had JTRS in them either; not even the AH-64E (which was originally designated AH-64D Block 3).

I may have been mislead by wrong information. According to "GlobalSecurityOrg" (wich is not "the best" nor "the worst" source) :

"The Apache Block III (AB3) Modernization was an incremental integration of block modifications providing the capabilities for the Longbow Apache to transition to the Future Force (FF), to increase survivability, and reduce the logistics footprint. AB3 satisfies the updated Longbow Apache Capability Development Document (CDD) mandates for modernization. Among other items, the Block III upgrade includes an open system avionics architecture, the Joint Tactical Radio System (JTRS), fly-by-wire flight controls, a pure General Electric T700-GE-701D engine fleet [common with the UH-60], a new transmission, and composite rotor blades. Block III was to include a series of structural, propulsion, and avionics modifications to the helicopter. The fire-control radar on Longbow Block III was the same fire-control radar that Block I Comanche would have used. "

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/ah-64d-3.htm

Anyway, i'd rather have a super-fency-fbw-uber-flying-computer than having a steam gauge Apache. Such a vintage would better fit a Cobra made out of the Huey variant we have in-game. An opinion is worthing another. I'm glad if my ignorance made you have a good laugh tough' 🙂

• ED Team
1 hour ago, hotrod525 said:

-snip-

The Block III upgrade includes an open system avionics architecture, the Joint Tactical Radio System (JTRS), fly-by-wire flight controls

-snip-

No no, it's fine. The problem with sites like fas.org, globalsecurity.org or wikipedia is that they usually all get their information from the same open sources on the internet, so when one mirrors the other, it can appear to be corroboration.

In reality, the JTRS was originally planned to be in the AH-64E, however the entire JTRS program has had significant delays and in many ways has become a defunct program in the US Army. Kind of related to how the A-10C (and parts of the F-16 community at one point) ended up with SADL. It was originally going to integrate into a much larger digital framework between USAF CAS aircraft and Army units, but the Army side of all of it went by the wayside. But I guess the SADL addition into the A-10C was already too far down the development pipeline.

The "JTRS" program is sort of a large umbrella that covers multiple communications and datalink systems, but really the only thing that is even close to it in the AH-64E is the Link16 functionality that evolved from the original JTRS requirements.

On the AH-64E fly-by-wire piece, not sure where that came from. The only Apache model that was "supposed" to have a FBW system as the primary flight control system was the AH-64B. But that program never left concept stages.

The AH-64 does have a flight computer to keep it stable and manage it's maneuverability, but there is still a mechanical linkage between the cockpit and the servo-actuators. It's more akin to the Ka-50 than the Huey or Cobra. Very stable yet very responsive.

Edited by Raptor9
  • Like 1

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

hace 4 horas, hotrod525 dijo:

I may have been mislead by wrong information. According to "GlobalSecurityOrg" (wich is not "the best" nor "the worst" source) :

"The Apache Block III (AB3) Modernization was an incremental integration of block modifications providing the capabilities for the Longbow Apache to transition to the Future Force (FF), to increase survivability, and reduce the logistics footprint. AB3 satisfies the updated Longbow Apache Capability Development Document (CDD) mandates for modernization. Among other items, the Block III upgrade includes an open system avionics architecture, the Joint Tactical Radio System (JTRS), fly-by-wire flight controls, a pure General Electric T700-GE-701D engine fleet [common with the UH-60], a new transmission, and composite rotor blades. Block III was to include a series of structural, propulsion, and avionics modifications to the helicopter. The fire-control radar on Longbow Block III was the same fire-control radar that Block I Comanche would have used. "

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/ah-64d-3.htm

Anyway, i'd rather have a super-fency-fbw-uber-flying-computer than having a steam gauge Apache. Such a vintage would better fit a Cobra made out of the Huey variant we have in-game. An opinion is worthing another. I'm glad if my ignorance made you have a good laugh tough' 🙂

Raptor is right.

Some of the info in that site is correct though.

JTRS didn't make it to IOC AH-64Es (100% sure) and I see no hints it ever got integrated at all according to multiple sources, It would become redundant with Link-16 integration too.

While the apache has a mechanical flight control system, it also has the flight management computer that provides hold modes, automatic stabilator control, and stability command augmentation system.

It's correct, it has new rotor blades, 701D engines and some of the avionics and LRUs inside of the EFABs have changed from the ones on Delta apaches.

Perhaps the most important feature of the block 3 is omitted in that article, which is the "magical drone stuff".

• ED Team
46 minutes ago, hotrod525 said:

it will (?) not being able to use datalinks with other assets (IE, A10/F16/F18/etc..).

If you are asking about the real-life AH-64E, it is able to talk to other assets that you listed since it uses Link16.

EDIT: Some clarification regarding JTRS vs Link16. The two terms refer to two different things. Think of JTRS like a type of cellphones, like iPhone or Android, and Link16 as a cell service carrier, such as T-mobile. Regardless of what cellphone type/model you own, it needs to be configured to operate on the T-mobile network, or Verizon network, etc. whatever the need may be.

JTRS is a program to replace legacy radios with "software-defined" radios that are more easily upgraded as technology evolves.  However, that doesn't exclude other radio types from communicating with them, as long as both the radios are operating on a compatible network, such as Link16.

Edited by Raptor9

DCS Rotor-Head

hace 6 horas, hotrod525 dijo:

Fair enought.

Thank you for providing "real intel" 🙂

So it is somewhat assisted by computer and it will (?) not being able to use datalinks with other assets (IE, A10/F16/F18/etc..).

I would dare to say that it's heavily assisted by the computer, and actually, you can go "Fly-by-wire" in a way, but it's for emergency purposes.

Let me explain, during normal operations, flight control inputs are transferred through the ARDD (automatic roller detent decoupler) to the servoactuators, this is a mechanical system.

However LVDTs, or lineal variable differential transducers, provide crew station controls information to the Flight computer, this information is used to provide multiple Stability and control augmentation functions.

(Please remember this aircraft has position, attitude, heading, velocity and altitude hold modes.).

When the BUCS mode(emergency flight controls mode) gets engaged due to mechanical jamming or severance between the ARDD and the servoactuators, the ARDD will automatically decouple (when jammed, direct transition to BUCS when severed), sending a signal to the Flight computer to control the servoactuators by itself, effectively making it a sort of fly-by-wire system.

So, to keep it short, BUCS is an emergency fly-by-wire system.

Regarding the datalink stuff, most of the aircraft in DCS has link-16 or SADL, which do not appear to be compatible with either Longbow protocol, Tactical internet, or ATHS- TACFIRE.

That does not mean this aircraft doesn't have one impressive datalink suite.

Edited by DaemonPhobos

8 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

If you are asking about the real-life AH-64E, it is able to talk to other assets that you listed since it uses Link16.

EDIT: Some clarification regarding JTRS vs Link16. The two terms refer to two different things. Think of JTRS like a type of cellphones, like iPhone or Android, and Link16 as a cell service carrier, such as T-mobile. Regardless of what cellphone type/model you own, it needs to be configured to operate on the T-mobile network, or Verizon network, etc. whatever the need may be.

JTRS is a program to replace legacy radios with "software-defined" radios that are more easily upgraded as technology evolves.  However, that doesn't exclude other radio types from communicating with them, as long as both the radios are operating on a compatible network, such as Link16.

I was asking for the DCS variant, doing some "expectation management".

But once again, thanks you folks  @DaemonPhobos

Edited by hotrod525

• ED Team
On 6/13/2021 at 9:21 PM, hotrod525 said:

I was asking for the DCS variant, doing some "expectation management".

That really just comes down to speculation, since ED hasn't announced anything specific about what will be featured in the Apache.  They've listed general systems they intend to include, but not anything beyond that, or the extent of each system's functionality to be modelled.

However, I'm at least hoping we'll see the basic AH-64D networking functionality that allows them to exchange data to one another, since this is the linchpin behind the system.  And I'm confident we will, since BigNewy's most recent confirmation of the FCR being included (albeit later in the development) just yesterday.  But it's not like full Link-16 or SADL functionality where you see real-time locations of dozens of aircraft moving around in the battlespace, with SPI and TXDSG locations and hostile radar contacts as well.  It will be more akin to the Ka-50's datalink, where target locations are transmitted/exchanged to each other in a fashion similar to email.

But if you look at the 3rd image that BigNewy posted in the first post, you can see a very clear view of the EUFD panel (the text display that looks like an F-16 DED), and that the aircraft includes five radios.  So you will have plenty of options for voice communications with other DCS modules, plus the ability to mark or receive targets via laser designations.

DCS Rotor-Head