AMD FSR development

84-Simba

Hi there !

Is there any plans on working with AMD to develop FSR on DCS World ?

It could hugely be profitable to all users and especially VR pilots.

Considering the GPU shortage and pricing for the upcoming 2 years it could be very welcomed to have this technology to be added to DCS World.

Syria at low altitude in the Hind or the Apache will be very taxing for most of our computers.

I know it could be looked at being ''low level priority'' versus modules and assets but you should consider our ability to run the game smooth and beautiful if you want us to continue to spend money on it.

And since FSR is supposed to work with Nvidia cards also maybe it could be the most profitable option for us all (instead of DLSS).

Thank you guys !

PS : Can't wait for the Mosquito and the first pics of the Apache looks good !

• Like 6

2 hours ago, RoxSy said:

Syria at low altitude in the Hind or the Apache will be very taxing for most of our computers.

This is likely due to CPU limitation so FSR won’t help with that. 

• Like 1

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

This is likely due to CPU limitation so FSR won’t help with that. 

Why would that sound like a CPU limitation? Higher poly count from the improved terrain mesh, more unique and higher detail objects as well as density, more texture streaming, more shadows, more anti-aliasing... 
It could literally be a person sitting on a 5950x with an 9xx card with todays GPU prices.

And that's exactly what FSR is for. To make people enjoy higher resolutions on less capable systems. And DCS would definitely benefit from any optimization which is free even.
Open source API, super easy to implement. GPU vendor neutral.

• Like 3

Best regards

3 hours ago, Madfish said:

Why would that sound like a CPU limitation? Higher poly count from the improved terrain mesh, more unique and higher detail objects as well as density, more texture streaming, more shadows, more anti-aliasing... 
It could literally be a person sitting on a 5950x with an 9xx card with todays GPU prices.

And that's exactly what FSR is for. To make people enjoy higher resolutions on less capable systems. And DCS would definitely benefit from any optimization which is free even.
Open source API, super easy to implement. GPU vendor neutral.

Just saying. If you are cpu limited which in many situations is the case in DCS, this won’t help. FSR or DLSS aren’t magic bullets. They’re just fancy upscaling. Basically just another graphic setting to play with. 

• Like 2

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Just saying ... but saying nothing relevant actually.

We hear that all the time and even people with high-end CPU's are still struggling, especially with VR.

I myself have a 3600x and I have a overall good FPS performance with an overall beautiful game in 1440p (non-VR) but I cannot use anti-aliasing past 2x MSAA and no SSAA at all.

Guess what, it tanks my GPU (RX5700xt)

Scales everywhere ...

I think I would greatly beneficiate of that free performance boost, even if I don't expect Spudknocker's videos quality.

And it is not AMD bound, on the contrary of DLSS to be Nvidia only.

We all know that DCS is very taxing on GPUs so what's the point on cherry picking ?

My point is that there will be a point where DCS customers won't be able to go deeper into the game and spending money on modules and terrain if they cannot keep up with their setup and they will seriously reconsider spending more money into modules if they have to pull out 1500€ for a new GPU (in a year at best ...)

You have to consider it as a circle.

You have a beautiful and smooth game so :

1- you have a good experience, so

2- you want to invest time, so

3- you buy a new module, so

4- you buy new peripherals.

5- repeat from 1-

Now, we cannot improve ourselves with GPUs. Stocks are near 0 for 1 to 2 years and pricing will prevent most of us to invest in both new DCS content and hardware (even hardware at all).

As the game is growing it is becoming more and more taxing.

That makes sense.

But if you want to keep up the hype you have to help us keep a good experience.

Edited by RoxSy

4 hours ago, RoxSy said:

I think I would greatly beneficiate of that free performance boost

It wouldn’t be a free performance boost. Like any other graphic setting it’s a compromise. 
Look how there are four different quality settings. So clearly you aren’t seeing exactly the same graphics with no loss of quality.

it’s not “free”

4 hours ago, RoxSy said:

I cannot use anti-aliasing past 2x MSAA and no SSAA at all.

You shouldn’t use both of these at the same time. Honestly SSAA is too expensive for minimal benefit. 

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it may be marketing BS, but if it's true then it's worth more than having a look on it!! I know ED's policy is not to be tied to a proprietary solutions (such as DLSS), but in this case, supporting AMD's FSR would be supporting open solutions that would benefit the entire community.

• Like 1

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

It would be an interesting "option", particularly for those of us in either VR or with say a 4k monitor.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I think that whilst the tech looks very interesting, there are many many other places in which dcs can be and should be improved for performance first.... There is no guarantee it would work as all the lovely marketing video say. I think sometimes people forget that developers are very much in the know of all this tech, and don't need multiple posts asking about possible implementation.

• Like 2

I hope this is possible as it would mean for me the ability to atleast run  my 22 " monitor at 60FPS....and still look decent

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

10 hours ago, Danny_P said:

I think that whilst the tech looks very interesting, there are many many other places in which dcs can be and should be improved for performance first.... There is no guarantee it would work as all the lovely marketing video say. I think sometimes people forget that developers are very much in the know of all this tech, and don't need multiple posts asking about possible implementation.

Which places would that be? Not that there are not many improvements to be made, but not many are as simply as just configuring an open source shader that is engine agnostic.

On 6/23/2021 at 4:39 PM, Pride37 said:

Well, it may be marketing BS, but if it's true then it's worth more than having a look on it!! 

It's not. While DLSS is more sophisticated and potentially can provide better quality than FSR the later is still quite good.

Here the vid from GamersNexus where they test it and explain how it works and what to expect from it:

https://youtu.be/KCzjQ4qP124

12 hours ago, audax said:

Which places would that be? Not that there are not many improvements to be made, but not many are as simply as just configuring an open source shader that is engine agnostic.

Well for a start, a vast amount of people are being held back by the fact that the game is single threaded... Whilst using fsr would improve performance on the gpu, we are still going to hit the point were the gpu is rendering faster than the cpu can give the frame orders. So until we start seeing things like AI, sensors being moved on to separate threads we are only going to get so much and depending on what mission you run it could be jack all... Again, I'm not saying they shouldn't look into it, but the way people are talking about this tech is that it's magical and will solve all their performance issues. 

1 minute ago, Danny_P said:

it's magical and will solve all their performance issues.

...but... I'm clinging to this!

The shelf life of my rig has been forcibly extended.

• Like 1

ROG Z690 Hero ● i9-12900K 5.5GHz ● Giggy RTX 3090 OC ● 32GB 4800MHz ● Firecuda M.2s ● Reverb G2 ● Win11Pro //// A10CII ● AH64D ● AJS37 ● AV8BNA ● C101 ● CEII ● F16C ● F5EII ● F86F ● FA18C ● FC3 ● I16 ● KA50 ● M2000C ● MI8 ● P47D ● SA342 ● SPIT ● UH1H ● Y52

Presently on my 5900X and 3090 i am quite GPU limited in the resolution and graphic options for VR (Pimax 8kX) and even if you are CPU limited being able to crank up the graphics options and have double the res and not to mention AA for the same performance is something ED should implement as soon as humanly possible. 

This is actually huuuuuuuge for VR. 

Edited by trigen
  • Like 2

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

Splitting work between threads and implementing a shader are vastly different tasks with one being a massive endeavour while the other is very much achievable without investing months of work. We won't get rid of CPU bottlenecks anytime soon, but in the meantime we can at least make it look pretty and usable for those with weaker GPUs.

• Like 2