AMD FSR development

84-Simba

7 hours ago, Anduriel said:

It's not. While DLSS is more sophisticated and potentially can provide better quality than FSR the later is still quite good.

Here the vid from GamersNexus where they test it and explain how it works and what to expect from it:

https://youtu.be/KCzjQ4qP124

Thanks for the link @Anduriel! Very interresting.

"An optimist is a guy who plants two seeds and runs to buy a hammock"

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

3 hours ago, trigen said:

Presently on my 5900X and 3090 i am quite GPU limited in the resolution and graphic options for VR (Pimax 8kX) and even if you are CPU limited being able to crank up the graphics options and have double the res and not to mention AA for the same performance is something ED should implement as soon as humanly possible. 

This is actually huuuuuuuge for VR. 

I'm with you on this, and mostly because I don't have a rig as beefy as yours!!

But the point is: will it work in VR?? I searched for this on the net and never found any mention neither from AMD nor from other tech reviews that it will be implemented in VR...

I just filled-in the AMD survey with only VR games (DCS at first place, of course!!), but at this point, I only have hopes rather than expectations...

Ryzen 7 7800X3D | Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi | MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio | 32Go Corsair Vengeance 32Go DDR5 6000Mt/s CL30 | MasterLiquid ML360R | Corsair NVMe M.2 1To x2 | Seagate 2To SATA III | TM Warthog stick base w/ F/A-18C grip + WW Orion 2 throttle w/ F/A-18C grips | FSSB R3 L w/ TM F-16C grip + TM Viper TQS | MFG Crosswind V3 w/ damper kit | Meta Quest 3 128Go | Dell S2722DGM

Mirage 2000C | F/A-18C | F-16C | Su-33 | Mig 29 | Supercarrier | Nevada | Persian Gulf | Normandie 2.0 | Syria | South Atlantic | Sinai

On 6/24/2021 at 5:40 AM, Danny_P said:

I think sometimes people forget that developers are very much in the know of all this tech, and don't need multiple posts asking about possible implementation

So true. It’s rather funny to see this and DLSS constantly brought up for discussion as if it’s some secret that the Devs have never seen… 😆

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

2 minutes ago, Pride37 said:

But the point is: will it work in VR?? I searched for this on the net and never found any mention neither from AMD nor from other tech reviews that it will be implemented in VR...

I just filled-in the AMD survey with only VR games (DCS at first place, of course!!), but at this point, I only have hopes rather than expectations...

Probably not right away but i hope they will add support for it.  In the meantime ED could have things ready 

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

5 hours ago, Pride37 said:

I just listened to the PCWorld Full Nerd interview of the AMD devs behind implementation of FSR, and they said there is no reason why it should not work with VR (though it didn't sound like they'd really tried or tested it). So hope lives!

As an aside, they also said it can be implemented in about an hour's work for game developers. Who knows if that would be a valid estimate for a game as large and complex as DCS, but again, hope lives!

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

15 hours ago, Sandman1330 said:

I just listened to the PCWorld Full Nerd interview of the AMD devs behind implementation of FSR, and they said there is no reason why it should not work with VR (though it didn't sound like they'd really tried or tested it). So hope lives!

As an aside, they also said it can be implemented in about an hour's work for game developers. Who knows if that would be a valid estimate for a game as large and complex as DCS, but again, hope lives!

Great new, thanks for that!! 👍

21 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

So true. It’s rather funny to see this and DLSS constantly brought up for discussion as if it’s some secret that the Devs have never seen… 😆

BUT, It would be nice if they made some sort of attempt to inform us that they are looking into it and what they have found out...as someone who's spent over a $1000.00(or there about) on their products, and double that to run it .. .I certainly have a dog in this fight. And if they have please show me where.

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

1 hour ago, Raven434th said:

BUT, It would be nice if they made some sort of attempt to inform us that they are looking into it and what they have found out...as someone who's spent over a $1000.00(or there about) on their products, and double that to run it .. .I certainly have a dog in this fight. And if they have please show me where.

I’m sure they’re always looking into everything. This is their business after all. But FSR isn’t a magic performance boost. It’s just another graphic setting to play with. You can already optimize performance in DCS by playing with all the other available settings. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

5 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

I’m sure they’re always looking into everything. This is their business after all. But FSR isn’t a magic performance boost. It’s just another graphic setting to play with. You can already optimize performance in DCS by playing with all the other available settings. 

But In my case not enough as it is soooo yeah it just might be the magic I need...some say it is almost the equivalent to a next gen card upgrade

Edited by Raven434th

MODUALS OWNED       AH-64D APACHE, Ka-50, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24,Gazelle, FC3, A-10C, A-10CII, Mirage 2000C, F-14 TOMCAT, F/A-18C HORNET, F-16C VIPER, AV-8B/NA, F-15 E, F-4 Phantom, MiG-21Bis, L-39, F-5E, AJS 37 Viggen, MiG-19, F-86, MiG-15Bis, Spitfire IX, Bf-109K, Fw-190D, P-51D, CA, SYRIA, NEVADA, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, MARIANA ISLANDS,SUPER CARRIER, WORLD WAR II ASSETS PACK, HAWK T1

SYSTEM SPECS            AMD  7600X 4.7 Ghz CPU , MSI RX 6750 12 gig GPU ,32 gig ram on Win11 64bit.

FSR is not a magic performance boost, we can get the same performance today! Instead if upscaling 1080p to 4k with FSR, I can just run the sim an 1080p and let my monitor upscale the image. If only I had thought of that solution earlier 😉

1 hour ago, audax said:

FSR is not a magic performance boost, we can get the same performance today! Instead if upscaling 1080p to 4k with FSR, I can just run the sim an 1080p and let my monitor upscale the image. If only I had thought of that solution earlier 😉

Exactly. That’s all this stuff really does. It’s just a rather high quality upscaling. But in a flight sim with the emphasis on seeing detail in far away targets and other aircraft I wonder how successful the compromise would be. 

I am quite confident that AMD FSR is a better upscaling algorithm than the one in my monitors firmware. Also, I don't think is about the choice between native 4k at 60fps stable or upscaled 4k at 60fps stable, but more like native at 20-30fps versus upscaled at 45-60fps.

For VR we have a different problem: We need more pixels for smoother edges, better contrast and better distortion compensation. We can increase super sampling but that is computationally very expensive and produces detail that we can't even see. With a good upscaling algorithm I can send a super big image with clear edges and sharp detail to the headset without dropping down to single digit FPS. Upscaling a resolution of only 2000x2000 per eye to 4k per eye is very much possible and I think at 2000x2000 we already have enough detail to appreciate.

Part of why we keep bringing it up is so Devs can see community interest, and gauge if it's worth working on.

I fully support a dev taking a day to investigate how much work it would be to implement, and a decision being made based on that. If it can work with VR, every frame helps!

On 6/26/2021 at 9:22 AM, SharpeXB said:

In fact, it kinda is like magic, or at least i hope so. DLSS is witchcraft and FSR supposed to be similar.

Ryzen 3700x - 2080ti - 16GB 3200 - 500G SSD - OCULUS RIFT S

9 hours ago, despinoza said:

In fact, it kinda is like magic, or at least i hope so. DLSS is witchcraft and FSR supposed to be similar.

FSR is like any other graphic setting, a compromise between quality and performance. It’s not just a free performance boost. 

I still think it a shame that DLSS isn't implemented, fingers crossed for FSR 

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

10 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

FSR is like any other graphic setting, a compromise between quality and performance. It’s not just a free performance boost. 

No it´s not. 4K with FSR quality reders at 1440p but the image quality is better than native 1440p. It´s kinda a non compromise feature

30 minutes ago, despinoza said:

No it´s not. 4K with FSR quality reders at 1440p but the image quality is better than native 1440p. It´s kinda a non compromise feature

There are several quality settings, each with varying quality/performance compromises

Edited by SharpeXB

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

There are several quality settings, each with varying quality/performance compromises

Of course if you compared to native res. But if you compared to the render resolution then there are only benefits.

The point for me is FSR 4k looks a lot better than native 1440p with almost the same performance

25 minutes ago, despinoza said:

Of course if you compared to native res.

Well yeah. That’s the highest quality image. Native 4K will always look better than upscaled 1662p. The point is FSR isn’t a magic performance boost with no compromise. 

8 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

The point is FSR isn’t a magic performance boost with no compromise. 

No-one ever said it was (except you) so that's a worthless point.

But I guess reading and actually participating in the discussion is hard.

The real question, as with all these things, is how much needs to be done in the rendering pipeline and how much is handled on a driver level? In some cases, it almost just comes down to “replace this API call with that API call” and the biggest issue is adding the code branches to make sure the right one is invoked; other times it's a deep dive into every aspect of the engine to make sure it actually benefits from the new tech.

• Like 1

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I believe that FSR and DLSS are nice tech demos that are able to inject a kernel into the market that a true solution can crystallize around. A real, acceptable solution can't be vendor-specific (FSR and DLSS are marketed to us in order to sway us to choose one vendor over the other, they are not adding this capabilities out of the good of their hearts). nVidia's marketplace in particular is littered with great tech demos that never went anywhere (anyone remember HairWorks?). I still have some 3dfx Voodoo specific games lying around somewhere that I can never play again because it requires that kind of hardware. Bad idea for games to tie themselves to a vendor unless the vendor pays huge incentives.

Let's see if and when Khronos or some other non-vendor outfit adapts an independent standard for dynamic upscaling, and then we are talking. And yes, as VR-only DCS nut I am very much interested in this tech.

Edited by cfrag

AMDs FSR is a vendor agnostic open source technology that works with Intel, Nvidia und AMD GPUs, probably even GPUs from other vendors. It is not tied at all to AMD. AMDs did not however optimize the drivers of Nvidia and Intel for the tech, however the performance is still pretty great with those GPUs.

FSR is the tech that you wished for!

13 minutes ago, audax said:

AMDs FSR is a vendor agnostic open source technology that works with Intel, Nvidia und AMD GPUs, probably even GPUs from other vendors. It is not tied at all to AMD. AMDs did not however optimize the drivers of Nvidia and Intel for the tech, however the performance is still pretty great with those GPUs.

FSR is the tech that you wished for!

That's great to know, thanks! So here's to soon having good upscaling in the near future.

• Like 1