AWTG-9 and closure rates

captain_dalan

Question for the RIO's out there, both virtual and real life (if they are allowed to disclose info), how does AWG-9 handle high closure rates? We know it doesn't like small closure, but how how about high closure?

I've been doing some scramble practice in the On Alert 5 Persian Gulf instant action and while experimenting with the intercept geometry and kinetics (trying to keep the blob inside the cone and the cone above horizon), i got the impression that if a hurl at the contacts with the max available mach (about 1.1 in the mission configuration for the A) the AWG-9 tends to lose tracks more frequently and faster. On the other hand, if stick to 0.85 - 0.95 the tracks are more stable.

Is it the small size of my statistical sample that skewers my perception (about a dozen hops) or is the radar not able to deal with very high closure rates? Is there an upper limit for those? And if so, then how do we deal with Vampires? Aside from holy water, crosses and garlic that is? 😄

Thanks in advance! Happy flying and good weekend!

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

There's the Aspect switch but I don't know if Jester is using it. In Nose setting it's designed up to 1800kts Vc as per HB's manual.

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

The scale shown on the DDD (what rate region is shown) can be set by the Vc switch on the DDD panel. X-4 sets the scale to 800 knots opening to 4 000 knots closing, NORM sets the scale to 200 knots opening to 1 000 knots closing and VID sets the scale to 50 knots opening to 250 knots closing. The operating range of the doppler filters can also be configured by the ASPECT switch on the same panel, NOSE sets 600 knots opening to 1 800 knots closing, BEAM sets 1200 knots closing to 1200 knots opening and TAIL sets 1 800 knots opening to 600 knots closing. This allows the RIO to optime the doppler filters for a known target closing speed and this affects the whole radar processing unlike the Vc switch which only affects the DDD.

http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/general.html#an-awg-9-radar

• Like 1

4 hours ago, draconus said:

There's the Aspect switch but I don't know if Jester is using it. In Nose setting it's designed up to 1800kts Vc as per HB's manual.

I wasn't going faster then 730 and i doubt they could to this low, so given perfect head-on intercept, the total closure rate could exceed 1500 knots or so.

26 minutes ago, near_blind said:

Good info. But as @draconus mentioned above, is Jester using it?

P.S. yeah, i fly with Jester.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache