DCS crash F10 map to external view - black screen, GPU cooler maxing RPM

Volator

I've been playing a lot of Combined Arms on the F10 map lately. Over the last two weeks a new sort of DCS crash has ocurred to me that I haven't seen before:

From the F10 map, when I select a ground unit and switch to external view, the screen suddenly goes black and my GPU cooler instantly revs up to maximum RPM. I cannot exit the game at that point anymore, open up Task manager or anything. Only a hard system master reset works for a full reboot of the system.

GPU is RTX 2070, latest driver installed.

dcs.log

• Like 1

DX device removed. Reason: 0x887A0006

DCS is having an issue with your graphics card. Do you overclock/underclok/undervolt your GPU? If so, please take a look at this thread:

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

37 minutes ago, Flappie said:

OK. Try this, then:

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, it hasn't solved the problem. However, there was a small but noticable difference: When changing from F10 into F1 view, the game crash / black screen didn't happen instantly, but about 10 seconds later. 

I've also just vacuumed the computer just to make sure it's not a dust problem...

Edited by Pilot Ike

OK. The value I made you change is a timeout preventing DirectX to complain about the GPU being unavailable for a certain delay. I assume 10 seconds would have been enough for your computer to get a hold on the graphcis card and ask it to draw the F1 view. The issue is somewhere else, then.

Please try disabling SSLR. It worked for a user who kept having DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED crashes.

Edited by Flappie
typo

On 6/7/2021 at 1:30 PM, Flappie said:

Please let us know whenever the issue comes back.

Unfortunately it is back. I had two days of perfect stability, DCS running for hours, but today, after about 25 minutes, the black screen reappeared, switching from F10 to F1 view. Again, the crash was not instant but happened after about 2 seconds in F1 view.

• 4 weeks later...

Your log ends like this:

2021-06-30 17:31:12.431 INFO    LUA-GUI_MAP: levelformap=0
2021-06-30 17:31:29.785 INFO    LUA-GUI_MAP: levelformap=1
2021-06-30 17:31:34.978 INFO    LUA-GUI_MAP: levelformap=0
2021-06-30 17:32:53.357 ERROR   SOUND: bufferEvent has timed out.

Were you adding sound files to your mission?

20 hours ago, Flappie said:

Your log ends like this:

2021-06-30 17:31:12.431 INFO    LUA-GUI_MAP: levelformap=0
2021-06-30 17:31:29.785 INFO    LUA-GUI_MAP: levelformap=1
2021-06-30 17:31:34.978 INFO    LUA-GUI_MAP: levelformap=0
2021-06-30 17:32:53.357 ERROR   SOUND: bufferEvent has timed out.

Were you adding sound files to your mission?

No, nothing. Just checking Mariannas in ME.

Another crash just now, old style: Switching from F10 map to vehicle external view (F7), insta crash, black screen, system totally locked up and only resetable via hard reset.

I haven't had these crashes with another modern flight sim with extensive satellite imagery that is also very taxing on the GPU so far. It only happens with DCS, so I assume it's something in the code.

Edit: Sorry, I take that back. I just had this particular crash just starting Discord for the very first time now. So it's definitely not DCS, but probably something with the GPU. Investigating.

dcs.log

Edited by Pilot Ike

• 3 weeks later...