Looking for SA-10 tips

Willdass

At the start of 2.7 I found it quite easy to take out an SA-10 site as a solo F-16 using the PB mode. I could fire one HARM at almost 70NM and take out the BB radar , and then move in closer to engage and take out the track radar.  But recently all my HARM's are getting shot down by the sam site (using the same custom training misssion as before). I now fire at mach 1.1 and about 40k ft, I fire when fired upon so about 40-50nm, range. I've tried to shoot at max range but those also get shot down.

Is there any way I can make it harder for the SAM site to shoot down my HARMS? Optimal altitude/speed/range, different mode? Fire at the BB before the 10?

I assume that a solo F-16 is supposed to have issues with a SAM10, but found it wierd that it suddenly became much harder.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/@Willdass

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

Initially the SA-10 wasn’t intercepting missiles if they were going supersonic, this has now been fixed so your PB shot is outta luck there. 

You’re going to have to launch from closer, well within the engagement range of the SA-10 which makes it a lot more challenging. Alternatively you can try and overwhelm it if you have multiple members in your flight. 

• Like 4

That makes sense! Thanks!

• Like 1

Setup: VPC Warbrd with TM F/A-18 stick on 10cm extension, Realsimulator FSSB-R3 MK II Ultra with F16SGRH grip, Winwing Super Taurus throttle, SimGears F-16 ICP, Winwing Combat and Take Off Panels, TM TPR Pendular Rudders,  3x TM Cougar MFD's, Simshaker Jetpad, Wacom Intuos S for OpenKneeboard.

PC: RTX 4090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64gb RAM 3600mhz, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb G2, Meta Quest Pro

You need to be close and low in order to destroy the SA 10.

If you shoot from high above it will destroy your missiles without any problems.

Sneak in low, pop up, fire and run. 

Edited by Viking 1-1
  • Like 2

Before you call everything a "bug": RTFM & try again! Thank you. :music_whistling:

I9-9900k, 32 GB RAM, Geforce RTX 2080 TI, 128 GB M2 SSD, 1 TB SSD, Track IR, Warthog Hotas

There may be situations where the SA-10 site is located with no terrain masking available.  In those cases, just "wild weasel" until the site is out of SAMs.  We are flying a mission with this situation.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot guys, will try!
Also, which mode and submode is the best for such low level attacks?

Edited by Willbassen

For wild weasel stuff i use POS EOM if i do have a waypoint at the sa10 site. If you dont have a waypoint, all you have atm is HAS, which is quite dangerous cuz it takes time to find the emitter and you have to turn hot for aquisition/launch.

You could do it the hard way by looking where the launch is coming from, slew the tgp over there and create a steerpoint by reading the coordinates off the tgp screen. Then launch in any POS submode. Without HTS that‘s probably all you can do.

Ideally you want to have a waypoint near the site before you enter the launch zone of the sa10 and launch long range in POS PB mode

Edited by _SteelFalcon_
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, _SteelFalcon_ said:

For wild weasel stuff i use POS EOM if i do have a waypoint at the sa10 site. If you dont have a waypoint, all you have atm is HAS, which is quite dangerous cuz it takes time to find the emitter and you have to turn hot for aquisition/launch.

You could do it the hard way by looking where the launch is coming from, slew the tgp over there and create a steerpoint by reading the coordinates off the tgp screen. Then launch in any POS submode. Without HTS that‘s probably all you can do.

Ideally you want to have a waypoint near the site before you enter the launch zone of the sa10 and launch long range in POS PB mode

It is fairly easy to create a waypoint, you don't have to be spot on the SA10 site, you can miss by about 10NM (maybe more, I'm not 100% sure) the HARM will still find it and hit it.

If you are using TGP, you can copy those coordinates, given you have threat rings on your HSD, in Nav mode select TGP scren as SOI and place the crosshair on HSD page on the sa10 site, copy the coords to your waypoint.

Edited by Furiz
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Furiz said:

It is fairly easy to create a waypoint, you don't have to be spot on the SA10 site, you can miss by about 10NM (maybe more, I'm not 100% sure) the HARM will still find it and hit it.

If you are using TGP, you can copy those coordinates, given you have threat rings on your HSD, in Nav mode select TGP scren as SOI and place the crosshair on HSD page on the sa10 site, copy the coords to your waypoint.

Ironically right now with the magic TOO mode in the Hornet and the TPOD symbology it is easier to put a waypoint on a SAM site in the Hornet then the Viper (the TOO mode is almost a poor mans HAD right now). 

• Like 2

Tried a low level attack today with EOM mode. Flew in sub 300 ft AGL, popped up at 3-5nm range, fired and ran. Worked great.  Much more fun and effective than my previous high alltitude attacks.

Thanks guys! 

• Like 2

On 6/5/2021 at 11:22 AM, Mustang25 said:

If the SA-10 doesn’t have any point defenses, they’re really easy to destroy if you just fly in at low level, pop up under 3 miles, and shoot them with rockets. 

First time I dropped an SA-10 was like this.  Coastal site, I came in at <100ft in an F-14 and rocketed the radar on the first pass then dropped dumb bombs on all the launchers.

• Like 1

To make an SA-10 attack realistic, i suggest you place your SA-10 bataillon and that your place SHORADS and other SAM that protect the SA-10 bataillon itself. For example, at a certain range from the SA-10 site the battery can't fire at you anymore, at that distance place a ring of SHORADS, SA-15/19. At the point were you are at a good distance for a HARM shot, place SA-6/11/17 units. On top of that add ZEUS and other AAA units.

Keep in mind that the SA-10/21 are very high value assets adn that they are heavily defended. 

Edited by greenmamba
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, greenmamba said:

To make an SA-10 attack realistic, i suggest you place your SA-10 bataillon and that your place SHORADS and other SAM that protect the SA-10 bataillon itself. For example, at a certain range from the SA-10 site the battery can't fire at you anymore, at that distance place a ring of SHORADS, SA-15/19. At the point were you are at a good distance for a HARM shot, place SA-6/11/17 units. On top of that add ZEUS and other AAA units.

Keep in mind that the SA-10/21 are very high value assets adn that they are heavily defended. 

Interesting! Do you know of any good training missions with this already set up? 

@Willbassen

SA-10 sites don't have that many missiles available, I suggest that you first drain the site of missiles and then attack with HARMs, so they can't be intercepted. 

Draining the SA-10 (or any other SAM site) quickly is as simple as finding a hill / mountain (good enough for masking) within its umbrella.
Pop up above cover, let the SAM site lock on you and fire, then dive behind cover again, instantly defeating the incoming missiles, rinse and repeat. 

It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes of this to drain any SAM site in the game.  

You can also live dangerously and do the same in flat terrain, without mountains or hills... just drop to the deck, below the radar's detection threshold (20-30ft from the ground should be good enough), then pop up, bait the SAM site into firing, down to the deck again, rinse and repeat. 

Edited by Hardcard
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, greenmamba said:

That is what I did once I beat it using a Tomcat with unguided munitions.  The radar and each launcher now have their own SA-19 and ZEUS.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hardcard said:

@Willbassen

SA-10 sites don't have that many missiles available, I suggest that you first drain the site of missiles and then attack with HARMs, so they can't be intercepted. 

Draining the SA-10 (or any other SAM site) quickly is as simple as finding a hill / mountain (good enough for masking) within its umbrella.
Pop up above cover, let the SAM site lock on you and fire, then dive behind cover again, instantly defeating the incoming missiles, rinse and repeat. 

It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes of this to drain any SAM site in the game.  

You can also live dangerously and do the same in flat terrain, without mountains or hills... just drop to the deck, below the radar's detection threshold (20-30ft from the ground should be good enough), then pop up, bait the SAM site into firing, down to the deck again, rinse and repeat. 

These tactics are what we are using as well..."Wild Weasel".

Edited by Drac
  • Like 1