Video and simulator footage of VRS and LTE

Maybe this footage has been shown before. About three minutes in, is shows Mi8 simulator with the external view of the a/c but with cockpit instrument viewing panel. It is interesting to watch, however the narrator is speaking Russian. Maybe one of our Russian DCS pilots can give a quick translation.

I wonder what the recovery procedure, if any possible, there is should one loose tail rotor effectiveness?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

2 hours ago, Looney said:

I wonder what the recovery procedure, if any possible, there is should one loose tail rotor effectiveness?

AFAIK - immediately reduce collective

• landing if close to the ground and it's safe to do so

or 

• increase forward speed (re-enter translational lift)

• re-assess power available/wind direction

• divert (or re-attempt landing if safe to do so)

The problem with LTE is that, near the ground, the instinctive reaction is to increase collective, which further reduces the tail rotor's effectiveness.

Note: Although the DCS Mi-8 models torque and weather cocking, it does not model LTE due main rotor vortices or tail rotor VRS due to crosswinds etc. AFAIK DCS's tail rotor is much more effective than the real when operating with an adverse cross/tail wind.

Edited by Ramsay
  • Like 1

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

On 6/6/2021 at 2:43 AM, Rabies said:

Maybe this footage has been shown before. About three minutes in, is shows Mi8 simulator with the external view of the a/c but with cockpit instrument viewing panel. It is interesting to watch, however the narrator is speaking Russian. Maybe one of our Russian DCS pilots can give a quick translation.

Borrowing your link for the VRS discussion.