Standalone DCS + Oculus Quest 2 (connection problems)

Assamita

Hello everyone. I know that this has been asked a lot of times before, but I can't seem to make things happen with what has been told in the other topics.

The thing is that I used to be able to play DCS with my Oculus Quest 2 not too long ago, but I replaced my main hard drive recently and I haven't managed to make it work again.

I have the standalone (non-steam) version of DCS, the Oculus Quest 2 and an Oculus Link cable. I have the Oculus software installed in my computer. I thought it was enough with opening DCS in the computer and that should automatically connect with the googles, but that's not the case. It just opens up flat in my monitor. What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

Also in Oculus software make sure you have "allow unknown sources" checked.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

As stated above, DO make sure that the VR option  (run in Headset) is enabled in the DCS Options->VR.

Beyond that:

I have had the best success with QUEST 2 (AIR LINK or CABLE) by using the following:

- Activate the Link

-Enable Virtual Desktop

-Browse to my DCS/bin folder, and open the executable (I always use the DCS_Updater.exe) by double mouse clicking.

-After a bit I see the starting screen in the Headset and it's off to the races.

I have had MIXED results just opening up from the Desktop while LINK is connected and having it show up., or opening from within the Headset from the RECENT tab. It works SOMETIMES but the method above is pretty much guaranteed.

Edited by Recluse

5 hours ago, Recluse said:

As stated above, DO make sure that the VR option  (run in Headset) is enabled in the DCS Options->VR.

Beyond that:

I have had the best success with QUEST 2 (AIR LINK or CABLE) by using the following:

- Activate the Link

-Enable Virtual Desktop

-Browse to my DCS/bin folder, and open the executable (I always use the DCS_Updater.exe) by double mouse clicking.

-After a bit I see the starting screen in the Headset and it's off to the races.

I have had MIXED results just opening up from the Desktop while LINK is connected and having it show up., or opening from within the Headset from the RECENT tab. It works SOMETIMES but the method above is pretty much guaranteed.

Same experience for me. Follow this workflow and you should be good. 

16 hours ago, Recluse said:

Beyond that:

- Activate the Link

-Enable Virtual Desktop

Now that you mention it, I do remember that you had to open DCS from the launcher and not the updater. However, why do I need to enable the virtual desktop if I'm using the link? I tried just activating the link and opening the game from the DCS.exe instead of the updated and that seemed to work. Thank you very much.

8 minutes ago, Assamita said:

Now that you mention it, I do remember that you had to open DCS from the launcher and not the updater. However, why do I need to enable the virtual desktop if I'm using the link? I tried just activating the link and opening the game from the DCS.exe instead of the updated and that seemed to work. Thank you very much.

You don't need virtual desktop for Q2 unless its your preference. DCS will open in flat if the Q2 headset is powered off or not connected via a link method.

1. Make sure "enable VR headset" is checked in DCS. - close DCS if you have had to open it to do this.

2. Launch oculus software

3. connect headset to PC via a link (cable or air)

4. Launch DCS from PC, rather than shortcut in oculus - I used to use the shortcut but its not stable for me now so I don't do this. It may work for others.

2 hours ago, Hoirtel said:

You don't need virtual desktop for Q2 unless its your preference. DCS will open in flat if the Q2 headset is powered off or not connected via a link method.

1. Make sure "enable VR headset" is checked in DCS. - close DCS if you have had to open it to do this.

2. Launch oculus software

3. connect headset to PC via a link (cable or air)

4. Launch DCS from PC, rather than shortcut in oculus - I used to use the shortcut but its not stable for me now so I don't do this. It may work for others.

2 hours ago, Assamita said:

Both of you are right. Once you have the link you don't NEED Virtual Desktop. In my experience, however, this is the BEST method for assuring DCS will open properly in the Headset.

When I have simply LAUNCHED from the PC while LINK was active, even though on screen it seemed to be opening in VR, it was not appearing in the headset, or it would initially show the launch screen and then CLOSE.  The Virtual Desktop method was just the one I had consistent success with, so I do it that way.