VR performance very disappointing looks nothing like ED videos

So I'm playing around with settings (again)... I was trying to regain some recently lost framtimes, and while comparing the anisotropic filtering of 16x and 0x, I DID gain some pretty substantial fps. I expected to possibly lose something visually, but for the life of me I honestly don't SEE a difference.

Can someone try this on their system?

I cropped the 2 screen shots and spliced them together down the center... Left is 0 right is 16X

Currently running at 0 anisotropic and don't see any difference, graphically. Is it broken? 

Combo.png

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

15 hours ago, toutenglisse said:

It affects "generic" textures.

Aniso.jpg

Weird... I'm not seeing anything to close to what your right side pic shows.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

19 hours ago, Sr. said:

Weird... I'm not seeing anything to close to what your right side pic shows.

I think it also depends on your "grass settings". I don't see any difference either on your cropped picture, but maybe you should try to display

the map MFD on both settings and compare it - who knows, there might be a visible difference? I don't know.

On 6/7/2021 at 4:30 PM, Lange_666 said:

Name me one "simulation" over the last 25 years that had any decent performance increase after a graphical (read better looking) update.

I can't name one.

Well, if you look at IL2 Great Battles (don't confound with Cliffs of Dover!) it seems, they're handling things better visual-wise/performance-wise.

And there is absolutely no one owning a 2070/3080 etc. graphic card struggling with high settings in VR. I know, their using a different graphic

engine, yes, but here to me it seems they continue to blow up the eye-candy without doing considerable performance optimization.

On 6/8/2021 at 8:48 PM, Harlikwin said:

They are probably putting all their eggs in "coming soon (tm)" vulkan engine.

Well, I wouldn't bet on this. Sure, Vulcan engine seems promising and quite good performance-wise, but you also need to clean up the code
of the existing engine, because otherwise you will still have some performance issues.

On 6/6/2021 at 4:39 PM, VRuser187 said:

Hi all, I got the latest version of this game. Got a g2 reverb HP 32GIG of ram, 1tb SSD i9 9900k 2070 super
I have been playing around with my VR settings for days.

I really don't understand no matter what I do the game looks terrible in VR. It's seriously not worth getting VR for this game you will be thoroughly disappointed.

The amount of shimmering in this game is very disappointing flying over towns you will notice flickering over towns, mountains, clouds, When you are on ground level Grass trees, walls power lines flicker making it look so fake!

Loading in game has a shudder and flicker effect which nearly induces epilepsy.

What kind of computer do you need to have clear graphics in VR. The amount of false videos I see online being posted look nothing like it does in VR.

I have read even people with 3090s are getting bad fps and bad VR performance.

I strongly suggest ED put some solid resources to fix this. I don't know what computers you have when you do your testing on VR but the average person doesn't have a $10,000 rig. 

Hmmm... don't think ED have ever released a VR video.

Edited by Dav IRL

4.8 I7, 1080, TMW&T, SSD, VKB MK.IV.

Might be you have an issue with AA two (which quite a few has without knowing)  There's a fair few reports of AA stopping working or not working properly and its extremely visible in VR.  Happened on my 1080TI and then i had a new system which was fine for 6 months before it suddenly was a night and day change.  Ive heard other guys say, new system fine for about 6 months and then whack. Every ridge edge etc is a boiling/shimmering mess and it has not been an issue at all.  Runways are obnoxious and i could fly just fine with 0x AA and 3500 super sampling before. AA does mask it but does not seem to work on a lot of these lines. 

Disregarding that for a moment. Then is also something to do with sharp line and texture edges and such which is especially visible in VR and developers have to think about it when they create things.  This is the ones we seem to be most plagued with. https://forum.unity.com/threads/white-jagged-edges-based-on-angle.491775/

"This one is caused by the thinly rounded edges and Fresnel reflectance. It's shader aliasing, which MSAA doesn't handle. As an edge becomes parallel with the view direction it becomes more and more reflective. At parallel it becomes a perfect mirror. In the real world this can never really happen since something parallel to your view can't be seen. In computer graphics this happens all of the time since the surface normal is coming from normal maps and interpolated vertex normals and not necessarily the geometry facing." 

Here's on the AA issue that has to do with AA only working right in exclusive fullscreen
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/update-in-windows-10-broke-msaa-anti-aliasing/e74d45e3-8b43-40c2-92b8-be7965b979b6

Vid from that thread. 

Edited by trigen

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

On 6/6/2021 at 10:39 AM, VRuser187 said:

I strongly suggest ED put some solid resources to fix this. I don't know what computers you have when you do your testing on VR but the average person doesn't have a $10,000 rig

You really just have unrealistic expectations for visual quality and performance in VR. Those videos you see were made in 2D. Since VR renders in 3D it’s roughly 3x as demanding on hardware. The majority of players are certainly playing on monitors. It’s well within reach of a strong gaming PC to run the max settings in this game and achieve those sort of visuals.

That system would be like this, not a $10k machine:

Recommended system requirements (HIGH graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 56 with 8GB VRAM or better;

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5