So how do I land F-5E in IFR low viz weather with new 2.7 clouds?

Thats when it me, that in low viz weather with new clouds, new low clouds, that I have no clue on how to recover F-5E in IFR weather. TACAN can guide you to the field, but not down to it in IFR. F-5E was used over Vietnam and Thailand, so recovery in bad weather had to be the norm. We dont have military precision approach radar to guide us down. So is VFR landing the best we can do in DCS: F-5E?

Although F-5 does not qualify as IFR platform in a modern civilian meaning of this world, you still can perform a non precision approach. System limit for VOR/DME approach is 250 ft, though typical MDA (minimum descent altitude) or OCA (obstacle clearance altitude) for such approaches in real world is usually calculated to be around 500ft above ground or more. Which means you should be able to see the airport no later than when you are at 500ft AGL and you cannot descent further without runway in sight. 

You fly the published approach profile, which gives you certain altitudes at certain distance from the airport, and also includes a chart which gives expected rate of descend and time it takes to fly between fixes at various speeds. Problem is, approach charts are not included in DCS and the airports and navaids in DCS may not match the real world. But you can find the real world approach charts for the airports that exist.

For example here is an approach chart for Kutaisi VOR/DME RWY 07 https://airnav.ge/eaip/2020-09-24-AIRAC/graphics/UGKO-IAC-07-VORy.pdf

And other charts for this airport.

https://airnav.ge/eaip/2020-09-24-AIRAC/html/eAIP/UG-AD-2.UGKO-en-GB.html

Edited by some1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

On 6/7/2021 at 10:33 AM, DmitriKozlowsky said:

TACAN can guide you to the field, but not down to it in IFR. 

I did have this problem as well and I love flying the F-5 in bad weather since it is very immersive and realistic!

If there are no procedures, I've designed a let down which works with basically all TACAN equipped aircraft/airfields.

tacan_app.jpg

Edited by bbrz
  • Like 8

i7-7700K 4.2GHz, 16GB, GTX 1070 

1 hour ago, bbrz said:

I did have this problem as well and I love flying the F-5 in bad weather since it is very immersive and realistic!

If there are no procedures, I've designed a let down which works with basically all TACAN equipped aircraft/airfields.

HI.

Nice one! Thanks for sharing it!

Saludos.

Saca111

• Like 1

TO 1F-5E-1 details instrument approaches with diagrams on pages 2-19 thru 2-22 (TACAN, radar, VOR, and ILS approaches). I know linking manuals is dicey on this forum; not quite sure what the rules are about screenshots from them (probably the same), but a quick google search shows somebody has uploaded it to the DCS user files so it should be pretty easy to find.

• 1 month later...

If there's an in game NDB next to the intended airport you can make your own non precision approach. Fly over the beacon at a back azimuth of the airfield go out a minute on that bearing then 45 degrees for a minute keeping heading by adjusting for wind for a minute then make a 15 degree banked turn for a 180 turn. Once completing the 180 start letting down.This heading you stick to for a minute watching for the beacon to be at the runway heading which will be at 45 degrees when you get there. Plan your let down so it works out good for getting down. FAA is picky about the decision height but I don't think they'll mind you busting an altitude. I figure it will work unless the F5 doesn't have ADF nav gear. 

If waypoint's are available set waypoint's to use and assign yourself altitudes. If lucky you can be your own FAA 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 6:19 AM, AH6OY said:

If there's an in game NDB next to the intended airport you can make your own non precision approach. Fly over the beacon at a back azimuth of the airfield go out a minute on that bearing then 45 degrees for a minute keeping heading by adjusting for wind for a minute then make a 15 degree banked turn for a 180 turn. Once completing the 180 start letting down.This heading you stick to for a minute watching for the beacon to be at the runway heading which will be at 45 degrees when you get there. Plan your let down so it works out good for getting down. FAA is picky about the decision height but I don't think they'll mind you busting an altitude. I figure it will work unless the F5 doesn't have ADF nav gear. 

If waypoint's are available set waypoint's to use and assign yourself altitudes. If lucky you can be your own FAA 🙂

The F-5E-3 doesn't have an NDB compatible ADF, only TACAN and the ADF set of it's UHF radio.

So to answer the OP, you can make a TACAN approach, but for our aircraft the best thing would be a PAR approach. The only problem is PAR isn't implemented beyond eye-candy of PAR vehicles like the RSP-7 [NATO: "Two Spot"].

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 10:45 AM, bbrz said:

tacan_app.jpg

Not too shabby. Now we tend to use the 3 rule a lot. 9nm 3000ft, 6nm 2000, 3nm 1000 and so on. Same thing really. You also need to maintain constant speed and constant ROD to stay on the imaginary glide path. Say 165 KIAS, assuming it is the same as your GS. Easy calculation: 5x 165 = 825 fpm ROD should keep you on path.  This is close enough unless you have really strong winds.  Works in real life and DCS is well enough simulated for real life formulas to be applied here.