Refuelling Help in Hornet

C3PO

Hi - I cannot call up the radio comms menu for refuelling at the tanker ... I have tried the "C" key, tried the HOTAS binded button and also scoured the comms options in settings. I select the right radio frequency in the COMMS 1 menu but nothing appears? This is in the practice mission.

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

Are you aware that there are two different key bindings for com1 and com2?

When using easy radio the # key (or your radio menu key) does it all. But most servers don't use easy coms. I experienced that without easy coms enabeled the # works with the tower on the ground. But when I tried to call the tanker I needed the right com key.

Edited by Tom Kazansky
  • Like 2

If the tanker was setup correctly in the mission then the comms menu should show the tanker. If it isn't showing up and it is a practice mission that ships with the Hornet (DCS) then there is an issue. Are you using simple comms or do you need to dial in the freq the tanker is on? This might be a factor as well. Food for thought and hope you get it worked out.

• Like 1

Make sure you are using a tanker that the F-18 can refuel from.  I forget the exact names, but there is one that is boom only (no drogues) so the F-18 can't use it and therefore you can't call it up in the comms menu.  Another user ran into that issue recently.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rob10 said:

Make sure you are using a tanker that the F-18 can refuel from.  I forget the exact names, but there is one that is boom only (no drogues) so the F-18 can't use it and therefore you can't call it up in the comms menu.  Another user ran into that issue recently.

That's a good point. I hope ED will fix this. Boomer has a radio that should work anyways. He could say: "What are you doing here, Newbie? Get youself a Viper!" or something like that.

Edit: At least the F10 map should not be the only way to find out whether the tanker is boom only or basket. Ok, the briefing IRL and DCS tells you what kind of tankers there are but on MP servers it could help if the guy at the radio told you that he can or can't refuel your type of aircraft.

Edited by Tom Kazansky
  • Like 1

Thanks guys - was definitely using the correct radio frequency for the tanker and also a tanker that has a drogue too!

Now: Water-cooled Ryzen 5800X + 32GB DDR 4 3200 RAM + EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra 24 GB + Reverb G2 + Add-on PCI-e 3.1 card + 2x1TB Corsair M.2 4900/4200 + TM HOTAS Warthog + TM TPR Pendular Rudder  'Engaged Defensive' YouTube Channel

Modules: F/A-18C / AV-8B / F-16 / F-15E / F-4E (when it lands) / Persian Gulf / Syria / Nevada / Sinai / South Atlantic

Backup: Water-cooled i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz + 32GB DDR4 3200MHz + GTX 1080 8GB + 1TB M.2 1k drive & 250GB SSD drive 500MBps 4K 40" monitor + TrackIR 5

13 minutes ago, C3PO said:

Thanks guys - was definitely using the correct radio frequency for the tanker and also a tanker that has a drogue too!

have you solved the issue for yourself?

if not, here are the three(!) radio comm buttons I use for the Hornet.

"radio menu" in the commmunication section of controls (keybind maybe called "communication menu" or "comm menu", sorry mine is german)

"COMM Switch - COMM 1" in the throttle HOTAS section

"COMM Switch - COMM 2" in the throttle HOTAS section

the fist works with simple comms and with the tower for me when simple comms are disabled. that is where I use the other keys too.

(edit: MIDS A and MIDS B now have their own keybinding btw)

Edited by Tom Kazansky
  • Like 1

Thank you will try this tonight - it’s bizarre how I cannot see the menus … i can see them on the ground / carrier but in the air on a particular MP server there was nothing.

I had this happen on Stix's excellent server in Syria ... yet I saw someone else refuelling so thought it must be something I am doing wrong....no not resolved it yet but am away from my machine and will try tonight.

Edited by C3PO

1 hour ago, C3PO said:

Thank you will try this tonight - it’s bizarre how I cannot see the menus … i can see them on the ground / carrier but in the air on a particular MP server there was nothing.

Hi.

To me this sounds like "easy coms " buttons issue... When on the ground, the "\" key is used for crew and /or tower comunications, if canopy is open, and can be used if easy coms are on. IF they are off, once canopy is closed or you are airborne, you need to use the "COMM1/COMM2" keybind /joystick buttons, and be in the correct freq in the selected radio... Looks like you are pressing the "comunications menu" (for easy coms mostly) in a non "easy coms" mission/server. Look for "COMM1 " and 2COMM2"  keybinds and bind them to your hotas or to an "easy-to-find" keypress and you should be done.

Saludos.

Saca111

• Like 1

Ah ... yes .....

9 hours ago, Tom Kazansky said:

That's a good point. I hope ED will fix this. Boomer has a radio that should work anyways. He could say: "What are you doing here, Newbie? Get youself a Viper!" or something like that.

Edit: At least the F10 map should not be the only way to find out whether the tanker is boom only or basket. Ok, the briefing IRL and DCS tells you what kind of tankers there are but on MP servers it could help if the guy at the radio told you that he can or can't refuel your type of aircraft.

ED should fix what? It's pilot's problem if he doesn't know what kind of tankers he can use. Thats really minimal knowledge. You can check tanker type on F10, if planes are not visible you should at least be able to ID the tanker when flying behind it.

1 hour ago, Foka said:

ED should fix what? It's pilot's problem if he doesn't know what kind of tankers he can use. Thats really minimal knowledge. You can check tanker type on F10, if planes are not visible you should at least be able to ID the tanker when flying behind it.

Not quite - even with the correct tanker I'm still not getting the menu / comms with the tanker. I think the issue is the key bindings maybe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foka said:

That's not my point. Which is: a real tanker would be contactable via radio and would respond no matter who contacts it. That should be implemented.

4 minutes ago, C3PO said:

Not quite - even with the correct tanker I'm still not getting the menu / comms with the tanker. I think the issue is the key bindings maybe.

Correct.

A real tanker also could change speed and altitude, could fly towards plane with low fuel etc. It's a game, it always will be limited.

And regarding C3PO's problem it's definitly PEBCAK - bindings or something similar. It works for rest of us.

• Like 1

BREAKTHROUGH: Got the Comms 1 keybind sorted and successfully communicated with the tanker back and forth for refuelling! Unsuccessfully refuelled, but that’s another matter 😂. Thanks everyone for all your help! 

• Like 2

Refuelling … it’s hell 😳

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 1:10 PM, C3PO said:

Refuelling … it’s hell 😳

I used to say it was impossible.

For me, the key thing was to get a decent throttle like the Thrustmaster 16000M, to keep in mind that the Hornet has about 1 second of engine latency, and to use autopilot to dampen out PIO.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 3:31 AM, equinox137 said:

I used to say it was impossible.

For me, the key thing was to get a decent throttle like the Thrustmaster 16000M, to keep in mind that the Hornet has about 1 second of engine latency, and to use autopilot to dampen out PIO.

TM 16000M... I have it, and after 6 months of use, I'm not a little kid throwing it around and dropping it on the floor etc, every axis on that throttle is faulty, twitching, jerking etc... throttle is ok, but axis are bad quality, very disappointed in 16000M, had the Stick too, twist axis was also jerking.

On 6/21/2021 at 2:29 AM, Mower said:

Aye.  Still cant nail it.

AAR = Yoga, Zen, Patience and Understanding and you'll do it with practice 😜