Question on radar use in the AZ/EL page

Hammer1-1

While in the AZ/EL page I noticed that if you make AZ/EL SOI, hold down the designator button, it looks like you can slew the radar beam bar by bar. IIRC its called Bias, but not sure of this. SPOT  does something similar but only WACQ in the ACM combat mode. This isnt exactly covered in Chuck's Guide and I just kinda stumbled upon this by accident. Id like to know a little more about this function, what it does and how to use it. From what Ive noticed, this is something that definitely should have a slewable TDC mod as its really wonky holding down the TDC button and flicking the TDC any direction at the same time.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

It slews with the TDC depressed. It does update when you stop moving the cursor around, but it does indeed slew with it depressed. The cursor stays in the shape of a cross. Regardless, Id like to know what this mode does.

AZEL Slew.trk

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

no info, really?

My wallpaper and skins

While in the AZ/EL page I noticed that if you make AZ/EL SOI, hold down the designator button, it looks like you can slew the radar beam bar by bar. IIRC its called Bias, but not sure of this. SPOT  does something similar but only WACQ in the ACM combat mode. This isnt exactly covered in Chuck's Guide and I just kinda stumbled upon this by accident. Id like to know a little more about this function, what it does and how to use it. From what Ive noticed, this is something that definitely should have a slewable TDC mod as its really wonky holding down the TDC button and flicking the TDC any direction at the same time.
R.T.F.M /s

Real quick, SPOT is not an ACM function, you are probably thinking of the uncaged WACQ. SPOT is accessible by TDC depress long in RWS and TWS.

For real though, Chucks guide is a great resource, but it's an abbreviated manual. (And AZ/EL pages aren't written yet)
You should take a look at the actual DCS Hornet manual. AZ/EL starts on page 317.
322-323 is what you are looking for.

Manual can be found on the ED webpage or to he Doc folder by aircraft in your game files.

Mobius708

6 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

322-323 is what you are looking for.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

Ok, no it doesnt. First off, it starts off on 329 in the EN manual, and second, it doesnt mention ANYTHING about slewing the radar FOV with the TDC depressed, let alone what its called. Did you even see my track file? You would see what I am referring to. The cursor turns into a cross, and nudging the TDC in any direction moves the scan zone in that direction. The TDC literally changes to a cross.
We must be looking at different versions.

"Changing Radar Scan Centerpoint

Pressing and holding TDC Designate when the cursor is not over a HAFU symbol will change the cursor to a pointing cross, which can be slewed using the TDC. To the left of the pointing cross are the minimum and maximum altitudes (in thousands) for the
radar scan volume at one-half the range selected on the Attack format. For example, if the radar range is currently 40 NM, the altitudes shown next to the pointing cross represent the minimum and maximum altitudes of the radar scan volume at 20 NM. If the active radar mode is VS (velocity search), the altitudes shown are at a fixed range of 40 NM. If FLIR is the selected sensor, only one altitude is shown adjacent the pointing cross, representing the altitude along the FLIR LOS at one-half the selected range on the Attack format. Releasing TDC Designate re-centers the radar scan volume in the location of the pointing cross and reverts the pointing cross back to a cursor."

-pg 322-323

Last mentioned list of changes in my copy is February 2021.

Mobius708

I had to do a word search in order to find the info, its listed on 334 as radar scan centerpoint, and the manual Im looking at is dated 5/20/21

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

7 hours ago, Hulkbust44 said:

If the active radar mode is VS (velocity search), the altitudes shown are at a fixed range of 40 NM

Wait, what?  I'm pretty sure we don't currently even have VS mode modeled?  And I thought there were suggestions we weren't going to get it either... wasn't it removed from the roadmap or something? 

Wait, what?  I'm pretty sure we don't currently even have VS mode modeled?  And I thought there were suggestions we weren't going to get it either... wasn't it removed from the roadmap or something? 
Yep, correct on all accounts. ED clearly copied some lines from the more restricted documentation that represent the full capabilities of the aircraft and put it in the manual. Even though we don't have such features. It is also mentioned that MSI HAFUs should be displayed on the AZ/EL format...

Mobius708

• Like 2