Mi-8 The crew campaign

Skael

Is there a system where if you fail, you have to go back to the previous mission? Everytime I go to play it seems as though I'm back on a previous mission that I've already played. Is there some campaign mechanic that I'm not familiar with?

Yes.

If you end a mission with a 'result value' lower than 50, you will regress to the previous mission. At exactly 50 you will replay the mission. At 51 and over, you will advance to the next mission. The 'result value' is defined by the campaign creator and they will "award points" to successful actions, don't confuse it with the "score" value which is only the number of units you killed and is not tied to anything. 

(It's explained in the DCS User Manual, although it is short, arcane, and easy to miss : 

"If mission total values are 49 or lower, the player will fall back one stage. If the value is 50, they stay in the same stage. If the mission total value is 51 or above, the player will advance to the next stage. By populating a stage with multiple missions, each with different values, you can create a campaign that flows back and forth according to mission results."

)

I believe if you Close the debriefing window instead of clicking on End Mission, then the results will not be taken into account (I may be mistaken, though).

I find this mechanism infuriating and I'm happy that most (almost all ?) campaigns I played recently do not use this feature. Instead, they set your score to 50 even if you crash at mission start 😄.

Cheers,

Buzz

1 hour ago, BuzzLine said:

I believe if you Close the debriefing window instead of clicking on End Mission, then the results will not be taken into account (I may be mistaken, though).

Correct,

you have to press the green "End Mission" button to save the results to the campaign.

If you failed the mission and don't want to go backwards in the campaign, you can instead hit the grey "Exit Mission" button and cancel your campaign attempt, with no consequences for progression.