Massive frame drop with gun pods

Firing the GUV 8700 gunpod in the Mi-8, I don't know if it's the projectile bounce or what, but the longer you hold down the trigger the less frames you get. Short bursts don't see to be a problem but continuous fire breaks the game, it's vomit inducing in VR.

• Like 1

FPS hit is huge since 2.7 with gun effects. It´s related to some sort of script (it seems to me) related with ground craters, when craters are created, creates a huge fps draw. Maybe some RAM leaking or missing buffers? please fix, its a vomit in VR firing some weakons (guns and rockets, mainly).

I noticed this last night when playing some Mi-8 missions. I have a high end system that can easily maintain 40fps in VR with ASW on. Firing the gunpods for a long burst turns my system into a slideshow. As Gryzor says rockets do this as well.

If this year is going to be the “year of the helicopter” in DCS then this bug needs fixing. Tactics with the Mi-8 and Hind involve lots of close up combat that relies on getting a lot a weapons on target in a single pass. This rocket and gun bug makes VR play very unpleasant to say the least.

Has this even been acknowledged as a bug yet or is it simply a game engine limitation?

Ryzen 5900X, RTX 3080, 32GB Ram, Oculus Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle and Stick.

• ED Team

please include short track replay examples when reporting any issue so we can directly test the same scenario.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Huey miniguns do it too. Just too much stuff to calculate sometimes (my guess). Remember when cluster bombs used to tank a server for a few secs at a time? Same kind of vibe going on here. I’d provide a track but it wouldn’t be a good time investment to do that.

Bignewy,

Here is a simple track file of a mission. It is a single Mi-8 vs a single insurgent on the Caucasus map. On my system during take off and flying I maintain a steady 80fps in this mission.

Once I fire continuously with the gun my frame rate drops dramatically to less than 10fps. Once I have flown over the target it quickly returns to 40fps for a few seconds and then back to 80fps.

I hope the track file helps demonstrate the problem we are describing.

Thanks.

FPS check.trk

• Like 1

Ryzen 5900X, RTX 3080, 32GB Ram, Oculus Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle and Stick.

I can confirm this

Tested in Huey (minigun) and Mi-8 (GShG 7.62 mm) in an empty mission. Extreme fps drop (to single digits) when continuously firing.

I'll try to find time and make a video tomorrow showing the effect, but I think if you try yourself @BIGNEWY, you'll notice it.

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

• ED Team
19 hours ago, Resection said:

Bignewy,

Here is a simple track file of a mission. It is a single Mi-8 vs a single insurgent on the Caucasus map. On my system during take off and flying I maintain a steady 80fps in this mission.

Once I fire continuously with the gun my frame rate drops dramatically to less than 10fps. Once I have flown over the target it quickly returns to 40fps for a few seconds and then back to 80fps.

I hope the track file helps demonstrate the problem we are describing.

Thanks.

FPS check.trk 797.61 kB · 3 downloads

thanks this is reported, I will try and chase it up. 

• Like 2

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 4 months later...