Plane to start in ww2?

Hi all,

Im interested in jumping into DCS WW2 theater but I’m genuinely confused about what airplane I want to go with.

I feel like I’m mostly interested in air to air combat but I guess I will want a2g sometimes. 
Is jug a good choice to go with right now? Is it capable in a2a? Actually I like the looks of Spit and relative simplicity of Mustang but are they on par with the jug development wise?

Thanks all for your input!

https://stormofwar.net/2020/11/22/november-2020-yougguns-guide-to-buying-dcs-ww2-modules/

🙂

But don't forget to try the TF-51D. This is the unarmed version of the P-51D, which comes FOR FREE with DCS. It will give you a good idea of the aircraft. It also then lets you compare if someone draws a comparison between the TF51D/P-51D and some other aircraft.

• Like 1

The two FW190s probably provide the easiest learning curve of the WW2 aircraft…

(at least, that is what I have found)

The Dora is the better for A2A, but perhaps trickier for take offs. The Anton makes an excellent A2G platform, but struggles against the AI opposition in A2A engagements.

3 hours ago, xvii-Dietrich said:

https://stormofwar.net/2020/11/22/november-2020-yougguns-guide-to-buying-dcs-ww2-modules/

🙂

But don't forget to try the TF-51D. This is the unarmed version of the P-51D, which comes FOR FREE with DCS. It will give you a good idea of the aircraft. It also then lets you compare if someone draws a comparison between the TF51D/P-51D and some other aircraft.

The TF is exactly what got me into choosing ww2 module 🙂 

I’m leaning towards The spit but Jug seems like the most developed module atm and value for money seems to be the highest. 

2 hours ago, rkk01 said:

The two FW190s probably provide the easiest learning curve of the WW2 aircraft…

(at least, that is what I have found)

The Dora is the better for A2A, but perhaps trickier for take offs. The Anton makes an excellent A2G platform, but struggles against the AI opposition in A2A engagements.

Thanks for advise but I wanted to start with an allied plane. Is it true that the Jugs engine management is rather tough?

If you are used to TF-51 the best option would be P-51D, Spitfire is completely different plane in handling and characteristics as well.

P-47 engine/cooling management is extremely complex with everything actuated manually including MP, engine cooling,mixture,oil cooling, inter-cooling, turbocharger.

P-51 imho is just best overall plane, with excellent top speed and maneuverability. P-51 is great ground attacker as well.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

The Kommandogerat (sp?) system on the German aircraft certainly reduces pilot workload…

I’m prone to breaking the engine in the P-47 as you have to be on top of prop pitch and engine revs, especially when diving

10 minutes ago, grafspee said:

If you are used to TF-51 the best option would be P-51D, Spitfire is completely different plane in handling and characteristics as well.

P-47 engine/cooling management is extremely complex with everything actuated manually including MP, engine cooling,mixture,oil cooling, inter-cooling, turbocharger.

P-51 imho is just best overall plane, with excellent top speed and maneuverability. P-51 is great ground attacker as well.

Thank you for reply! How are all 3 stand graphics wise and performance wise? A friend of mine told me that P51 is Mig 15 level and P47 is F14. Is that true?

Frankly speaking, I like messing with engine controls and tweak things so now you got me leaning towards P47. 
Also regarding the Spit and it’s trickiness to fly, I love taming difficult planes in dcs. I probably would just buy all three back in 2019 with no hesitation but the COVID... Now getting less then minimal wage being an ATP lol so have to choose wisely. 

Yes, you can wait for sale and get them all.

Not sure what was on your mind about performance. But graphic wise P-47 is far better then P-51

Performance wise  P-51 is faster,climbs faster, turn better.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

2 minutes ago, grafspee said:

Yes, you can wait for sale and get them all.

Not sure what was on your mind about performance. But graphic wise P-47 is far better then P-51

Performance wise  P-51 is faster,climbs faster, turn better.

I meant ‘FPS’ performance. Still running a gtx 1060 here 🙂 

thank you guys for all your input here. I think I’ll go with the Spitfire initially and see how this goes and then on sale buy remaining 2. 

(I've got 1060, too. Jug seems to be a bit "heavier" than other warbirds. Can't see a difference between the others.)

4 hours ago, xvii-Dietrich said:

Hahaha... what an excellent guide, 100% true! 😄

People are different, so please take everything with a pinch of salt (it's your money and your flight simming, not mine).

TL;DR: Buy the Spit and live happily ever after 🙂 (Just set the pitch axis response properly for you gear!)

Useless elaboration:
If you're NOT new to flight simming or RL flying, but you're kind of new to "proper" gun dogfighting... for me it was the Spit! This is the plane that somehow helped me start wrapping my head around the whole concept. I'm still next to useless, I admit, but before I took my time in Spitfire, I had been like it says in this guide: "Goddamn it! I bought another warbird, but it's bloody useless just as all the others!" 🙂 Obviously the fault was in the driver, not the planes. When I started playing with the Spit, after mere 5-10 hours suddenly something clicked loud in my rusty brain and... now I can somehow fly even all those other planes which previously "sucked", not overly competently, but I can try and fight in them at all - which is true miracle on its own. So somehow Spit paved the way to dogfighting in other warbirds for me.

I think I know the reason - if someone is such a noob like me, the only "patent" you can come up with when dogfighting is just turn. That's all - turn like a monkey, nothing else. The "boom and zoom" slang is good for Martians, not a newbie.
Spitfire turns like a dream, so it will let you stay in the fight and practice more. Then you discover that you can actually add some vertical maneouvering to that. Then this, then that, gradually you can add new tools to your "dogfight workshop". I'm still very early in this pursuit (I'm not "ambitious" about flight simming, not a bit, I'm taking and enjoying my time), but now it's become so incredibly pleasurable! 🙂

Of course the Spit isn't the easiest warbird on landing roll, so if you still need to learn how to take off / land (only then how to dogfight), you'd be probably better off buying something easy in this respect - e.g. the Mustang. OR - a better option - buy the Spit either way and just get down to practicing until you learn how to land, it's definitely less of a hassle than bad dogfighting, right? For starters it helps to keep about 5% of wheel brakes on landing (I used that grey "friction" lever on my TM Warthog throttle to pre-set brakes on final) - she gets calm with this. After a week you'll feel so ashamed of doing it that you'll try without brakes - and you'll learn that in 2 hours, take my word for that.

German birds don't have a rudder trim, so you will tread on the pedals a lot. If you don't have pedals (say a twist grip instead), you may find it a nuisance. On the other hand German planes don't have the RPM lever, so if you have a single engine throttle - they're good for that.

Kurfürst is an extremely potent dogfighter, probably best in the whole flock, while both Fw 190 aren't (IMHO) so good for starters. Especially Anton isn't (it's got its own secret powers, but it isn't a pedigree dogfighter per se).

Now... I don't think the Jug is best for your first warbird. It's a beautiful module (no doubt!), but it's got that wobbly nose and... I don't think it can be competent in A2A in a newbie's hands (like mine). Mustang is overall a great plane, but Spit feels (to me) easier when you're taking your first steps in WW2 A2A.

Another approach - pseudomathematical one. Given are two functions (for A2A qualities):
y = f(competent) - most likely Kurfüurst wins here (but difficult take-offs)
y = f(easy, competent) - the Spit (but difficult landing rolls and ground handling rather annoying)

The aforementioned guide is true in another respect - you'll want to buy all the warbirds anyway, so at the end of the day it doesn't matter 🙂 I just think that Spit is a great first choice (if you can land).

Edited by scoobie

i7-8700K 32GB 2060(6GB) 27"@1080p TM Hawg HOTAS TPR TIR5 SD-XL 2xSD+ HC Bravo button/pot box

6 minutes ago, scoobie said:

(I've got 1060, too. Jug seems to be a bit "heavier" than other warbirds. Can't see a difference between the others.)

Hahaha... what an excellent guide, 100% true! 😄

People are different, so please take everything with a pinch of salt (it's your money and your flight simming, not mine).

TL;DR: Buy the Spit and live happily ever after 🙂 (Just set the pitch axis response properly for you gear!)

Useless elaboration:
If you're NOT new to flight simming or RL flying, but you're kind of new to "proper" gun dogfighting... for me it was the Spit! This is the plane that somehow helped me start wrapping my head around the whole concept. I'm still next to useless, I admit, but before I took my time in Spitfire, I had been like it says in this guide: "Goddamn it! I bought another warbird, but it's bloody useless just as all the others!" 🙂 Obviously the fault was in the driver, not the planes. When I started playing with the Spit, after mere 5-10 hours suddenly something clicked loud in my rusty brain and... now I can somehow fly even all those other planes which previously "sucked", not overly competently, but I can try and fight in them at all - which is true miracle on its own. So somehow Spit paved the way to dogfighting in other warbirds for me.

I think I know the reason - if someone is such a noob like me, the only "patent" you can come up with when dogfighting is just turn. That's all - turn like a monkey, nothing else. The "boom and zoom" slang is good for Martians, not a newbie.
Spitfire turns like a dream, so it will let you stay in the fight and practice more. Then you discover that you can actually add some vertical maneouvering to that. Then this, then that, gradually you can add new tools to your "dogfight workshop". I'm still very early in this pursuit (I'm not "ambitious" about flight simming, not a bit, I'm taking and enjoying my time), but now it's become so incredibly pleasurable! 🙂

Of course the Spit isn't the easiest warbird on landing roll, so if you still need to learn how to take off / land (only then how to dogfight), you'd be probably better off buying something easy in this respect - e.g. the Mustang. OR - a better option - buy the Spit either way and just get down to practicing until you learn how to land, it's definitely less of a hassle than bad dogfighting, right? For starters it helps to keep about 5% of wheel brakes on landing (I used that grey "friction" lever on my TM Warthog throttle to pre-set brakes on final) - she gets calm with this. After a week you'll feel so ashamed of doing it that you'll try without brakes - and you'll learn that in 2 hours, take my word for that.

German birds don't have a rudder trim, so you will tread on the pedals a lot. If you don't have pedals (say a twist grip instead), you may find it a nuisance. On the other hand German planes don't have the RPM lever, so if you have a single engine throttle - they're good for that.

Kurfürst is an extremely potent dogfighter, probably best in the whole flock, while both Fw 190 aren't (IMHO) so good for starters. Especially Anton isn't (it's got its own secret powers, but it isn't a pedigree dogfighter per se).

Now... I don't think the Jug is best for your the first warbird. It's a beautiful module (no doubt!), but it's got that wobbly nose and... I don't think it can be competent in A2A in a newbie's hands (like mine). Mustang is overall a great plane, but Spit feels (to me) easier when you're taking your first steps in WW2 A2A.

Another approach - pseudomathematical one. Given are two functions (for A2A qualities):
y = f(competent) - most likely Kurfüurst wins here (but difficult take-offs)
y = f(easy, competent) - the Spit (but difficult landing rolls and ground handling rather annoying)

The aforementioned guide is true in another respect - you'll want to buy all the warbirds anyway, so at the end of the day it doesn't matter 🙂 I just think that Spit is a great first choice (if you can land).

You're the man Scoobie! Thanks a lot mate, Spitfire it is then. I just needed that little kick in the 'right' direction 🙂